Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering about the rough engine braking. Is it normal that a motorcycle brakes that much when going off the throttle for 1mm? Its my first bike and I cant remember, how my msf machine felt like. Even when I roll off the throttle as smooth and slow as I can, the 300 bumps. 6th gear decelerates a lot, too. I gues its normal, isn't it? To be honest, I dont like that. Especially with a pillion.:thumbdown:

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Normal on this bike unfortunately. Flash tune can smooth it out for you but you have to send the ecu in.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've seen quite a few posts in regards to the heavy engine braking on the 300, but it seems like they are always negative..I love the engine braking, when riding it seems just right even in 2nd or 3rd. May have to feather the clutch a bit/rev-match when downshifting but it compliments the less than stellar brakes on the 300. I can't speak for other bikes but even when cruising around my 300 is really predictable rolling off, unless I chop the throttle its super smooth. In higher gears it's perfect for keeping pace with city traffic. You will probably get used to it the more you ride your ninja. Just my $.02!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Well, now a practice riding on Suzuki Gladius. I did hope that over mentioned rough engine braking is ONLY with this model. Now, after reading your post, assuming that it is very common for most ( all 4T ? ) bikes, it worries me much. I do not like this occurrence !!! Ok- I hate its rought (hard) kind of work.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just noticed this thread after replying to another one about this topic. I've experienced the same thing with my ninja and it sounds like the 'norm' from what I've read. I'm fine with it when I'm riding solo but with a passenger it becomes a bit challenging because they headbutt me often. Kind of a sticky situation and I'm hoping for suggestions or else, I'll try to figure something out

·
Registered
127 Posts
Stop complaining about the engine braking and learn how to downshift better on this bike. I used to not like it, but I see that it forced me to learn something new and that's always good on a moto. Plus, it helps me from getting sloppy.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I love the engine braking, I rarely ever use my brakes unless im highway riding, or when I'm just coming to a completele stop. I just go down through the gears and the engine brakes for me.

Reactions: josvet26

·
Registered
616 Posts
In any means I did't mean to say I don't like engine braking ( I always use itconstantly driving my car ). Only I wanted to say is that I didn't realize it works so harsh in bikes.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I love the engine braking, I rarely ever use my brakes unless im highway riding, or when I'm just coming to a completele stop. I just go down through the gears and the engine brakes for me.
Exactly how I feel it and do it driving my car.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Stop complaining about the engine braking and learn how to downshift better on this bike.
Its not about downshifting, they work fine for me, its just when I roll of the throttle, even very very smooth and slow, it jumps from acceleration to deceleration. The engine braking is fine, even if I prefere less, but I would like to have a smoother transfer between acc and dec and not a jump.
Thats one thing I love about as well.

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
You just need to be smoother. Being smooth comes with time and experience.
Some bikes are rougher with engine-braking, even with the same rider. Skilled riders know if it's the bike or not, so your solution dismisses this possibility. Even Rossi will complain if his bike isn't running as he knows it should. ;)

I could ride a Daytona 675R and then switch to the FZ6R of FZ-09 and there'd be a marked different in fueling. Motorcycle Magazine's Ari Henning describes the FZ-09 'A' mode as 'violent', and he's a skilled rider.

There's a racer on this forum who has also complained about the 300's engine-braking, and I doubt it's due to lack of throttle-control.

Sometimes, it really is the bike and there are fixes for bad fueling or harsh ECU fuel-cut. :D

With the stock Ninja 300, I complained bitterly about the clutch lever being so far out, and the friction zone being further-out than my fingers could reach. Naturally, some people blamed me for not adapting, but I know too much. I've ridden too many bikes and have too much experience to think I simply have to adapt. Nope. When I got my own 300, I immediately adjusted the clutch and then threw some Pazzo shorty adjustable levers on. Hasn't been an issue since. In fact, every mod arguably addresses some deficiency. It's the riders who *don't* know better that adapt to an issue that could easily be solved if only they knew the ways to solve them. Adapting is what you do last, when you have no other options.

Bottom line, while it's good to be smooth and gain experience; some bikes really do have harsh engine-braking which can be fixed with an ECU-flash, piggyback ECU tuner, etc.

Reactions: Kawi

·
Registered
958 Posts
For more aggressive riding, engine braking makes cornering much easier. I have 2 extremes where engine braking is concerned. First, I have a Honda Grom. 125cc, no slipper clutch, short gears and almost no engine braking. It rolls like a bicycle. You can find yourself going into corners too hot if you aren't careful. The other extreme is my Zero S. Not engine breaking per se, at least not from compression, but in eco mode, you can program the regeneration. I have mine programmed to deliver max regen with both braking and with a closed throttle. It is very much like dropping down 2 or even 3 gears in a liter bike with a slipper clutch. You get excellent slowing, just short of locking up the wheel or skiding. It allows you to get into corners with control. Then when you twist the throttle, instant torque gets you through the curve as fast as you can stand. In my hands cornering with the electric bike is easier than any bike I have ever owned. I do like the Ninja 300, but I would use more engine braking if it were available. It is a function of engine size though, so not much can be done about that. Engine braking is your ally especially negotiating corners.

·
Registered
458 Posts
quite normal what the o/p is experiencing, learn to control the right wrist a little more. the engine braking is caused by the engine compression in the first place
Engine braking is actually caused by pumping losses, the energy consumed by the engine having to suck air past a nearly closed throttle.

Two stroke engines practically freewheel when the throttle is closed, mostly because the the high crankcase volume causes them to be very ineffective air pumps, there is very little carburettor vacuum so little energy is consumed pulling air past a closed throttle.
During the early days of two stroke racing, it was discovered that the two strokes's engine braking could be vastly increased by opening the compression release. Some were even fitted with two way throttles that would release the compression if you closed the throttle beyond idle in order to give the engine "compression braking".
Eventually, younger motocross racers learned what brakes were for and the compression release gimicks fell out of favor.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
My FZ-09 has harsh engine braking pretty much on par as my Ninja 300 did, a little bit more noticeable than the 300.

I have just had the ECUnleashed flash done locally......recommend this to anyone and everyone who has problems with engine braking or twitchy throttle. The ECU flash removes all restrictions and emissions tweaks, and a fuel controller will smooth out your fuelling. Totally transforms a bike.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts