Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can the Ninja 300 powerband be used for touring?

I am not an owner yet but wondered if I could get some feedback.

When I owned a 600 sport bike, I had difficulty keeping the bike close to the speed limit. The bike always wanted to rev and was a blast to ride fast. While I didn't get any tickets while owning it, I rode way to fast. I am over that (I think) I sold the bike and have gone through about 5 other bikes such as a V-Strom, DRZ400S, two 650 dual sports...etc I now want to ride a 250/300 bike and am getting close to purchasing a Ninja 300.

My concern is that unlike some of the other Ninja 300 competitors, the Ninja loves to rev and stay in the sweet RPM range which sounds like is between 7K and 11K. I want the bike to just take long trips on (mostly backroads and Highways through Northern California) and really do not want a bike that loves to scream all the time. In addition, my right wrist is in bad shape from desert racing and I need something relatively vibration free. I realize there will always be some vibration through the bars.

Questions:

• Can I cruise the Ninja all day long at 55 - 65 with minimal vibration? Essentially, can the Ninja be ridden just cruising along for hours.

• Am I constantly shifting to keep the bike in the sweet RPM range as the road changes elevation?

• What is the RPM's at for a true 65 mph (accounting for speedometer error)
Many thanks!

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
can this bike be used for touring???

absolutely 100% YES!

have a look thru my youtube channel , it might help you

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheStinger30/videos

can it be ridden for hours on end. yep. but put on foam grips or grip puppies (look in diy sticky , link in my signature)

do you constantly change gears with road elevation, that depends on the angle of the elevation & the length of it

no idea what the RPM is for at 65 mph but this web site might help

http://www.gearingcommander.com/

the ninja 300 makes a great sports tourer, even more so after adding 1 inch handle bar riders (see diy sticky) and kawaka touring/bubble screen

works fine for me

·
Registered
250 Posts
The 300 will do fine. I rode back from work today around 5am uphill on the Cajon Pass in SoCal and only had to downshift to keep it near 80. There are a lot of crazy cage drivers trying to speed to work so I wanted to be a little faster than the rest and not get mowed down. Also, there was a pretty good wind going against me too. I plan on getting the double bubble screen when I can...

EDIT: Also... 65 mph for me is around 7k

1 - 5 of 5 Posts