Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've been thinking of buying a bike for awhile, at first I thought of the ninja 250, to find out they aren't to great on the freeway. Then I heard about the ninja 300's release and was quite intrigued by it. My only set back is that when I start school up again, I'm going to have a 35 mile commute to school and 35 mile commute back home. How would the ninja 300 hold up to that? not an everyday commute luckily. The commute is just one very straight road. I've read that the little 300's average around 55mpg? is this true? I'm just curious if it would be worth it to off my car and buy a bike (my car currently gets 15mpg). I would be able to use a car, if I needed to so I'm not worried about that.

Thanks,

Tim

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
Tim the 300 will do that commute standing on its head, it wont bother it in the least, the day after i bought mine i racked up over 850 kilometers in 2 days and i did that twice in 5 weeks and its still going strong and has over 3000 kilometers on it

·
Registered
131 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well thats good to hear. How big is the fuel tank on the bike? I don't know if it would be worth it buying the bike then have to fill up every other day. Another concern I have would be insurance. I'm 18 and am going to take the MSF. Would insurance be a killer on a 300?

Tim

·
Registered
131 Posts
Fuel tank is 4.5 gallons, I'm 19 with an accident on my record full coverage on my bike is $65 a month.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well, I've been thinking of buying a bike for awhile, at first I thought of the ninja 250, to find out they aren't to great on the freeway. Then I heard about the ninja 300's release and was quite intrigued by it. My only set back is that when I start school up again, I'm going to have a 35 mile commute to school and 35 mile commute back home. How would the ninja 300 hold up to that? not an everyday commute luckily. The commute is just one very straight road. I've read that the little 300's average around 55mpg? is this true? I'm just curious if it would be worth it to off my car and buy a bike (my car currently gets 15mpg). I would be able to use a car, if I needed to so I'm not worried about that.

Thanks,

Tim
I just did a 123 mile ride today in 85 degree weather stopped one time to grab something to drink and the whole time I was doing about 50+ and the bike was running strong

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
155 Posts
I commute with my 300 doing 70 miles a day, 5 days a week, rain or shine, on a freeway that typically moves at 75-80. Averaging 55mph so far.

The only problem is that the insurance cost increases *significantly* if your average miles driven per year is higher. You can report w/e you want to the insurance company, not really sure whether it matters, but I'm reporting the actual numbers just in case.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I doubt you are going to want to ride in bad weather. It might not even be safe in some weather. A car works much better in cold, icy, rainy weather. As bikes go, there is probably no better commuter than the Ninja 300 though from the standpoint of fuel economy, performance at interstate speeds, cost, dependability. There are a few people who only have a motorcycle, but most of us feel we need a car at least part time for groceries, passengers, bad weather, etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Luckily if I needed a car I would have one readily available. Another bike i was looking at was the ninja 650, how does it compare with the 300 in terms of comfort and economy. My only worry is that if I needed to get away fast the 300 might not be able to do that. Truck merging into you or something along those lines.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
A 35 mile ride one way on this bike is nothing. When I commute it's 92 miles round trip in freeway traffic that get's pissed if you are doing under 75mph. Don't worry about the commute part. This isn't a full blown SS that will twist you into knots regarding riding position and is very comfortable to cruise on. I can't speak for the "rain" part but plenty of others have posted being happy with the stock tires and rain.

Make some phone calls regarding insurance. I wouldn't tell them it's a "daily driver" but instead opt for a secondary vehicle and give a fairly low ball assessment regarding yearly mileage. They are not going to dig that deep if you file a claim and ding you for having a ton of miles on the odometer.

One last note...if you're really going to ride in the rain then you better gear up for it. Really doesn't matter what bike you ride. Cold, wet and unpleasant doesn't care about what you are riding :D

·
Registered
155 Posts
It's my first and only bike so I don't have anything else to compare to. But the riding position is pretty upright so it's comfortable. I don't feel fatigue or tired after each ride.

Riding in the rain is pretty good and is not much different really, just gotta start slower and go slower. ABS really helps sometimes. Also the Shoei Neotec pin-lock anti-fog is a must have. Heated grips also a must have.

One thing to keep in mind is that gas isn't the only cost here if you're going to commute with a bike. There's a lot more maintenance work involved, some quite frequent, so DIY is a must: chain lube, oil and filter, tire changes. It will be quite costly if you expect to get services done by a mechanic.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would hopefully only ride in rain if I truly had to. When buying a bike from a dealer, are there ways to talk them down on price or anything like that? Could I get a better deal if I bought my gear all at once?

Tim

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
I would hopefully only ride in rain if I truly had to. When buying a bike from a dealer, are there ways to talk them down on price or anything like that? Could I get a better deal if I bought my gear all at once?

Tim
That's an easy answer. Be a DICK. I haven't quite mastered that art but you can always get a better deal. ALWAYS. Of course it helps if there is a good local market for the bike. Dealer A quoted me X. What can you do? Doesn't help if they are the only Kawasaki dealer within 200 miles :D

You can get some decent discounts on gear but first and foremost...get the best price you can on the bike and "then" try and get some gear thrown in.

A small shop is not going to have a great selection of riding gear to pick and choose from. First and foremost is a helmet that fits you proper and some gloves. 10% off a helmet that you really don't want that is over priced in the first place is not a good place to start bargaining. Start shopping for gear now at local shops if you can. Have your gear before you buy the bike.

Where are you located?

·
Registered
72 Posts

Tim
Depends, if you have to finance it your chances of being able to haggle them down drops significantly. With cash in hand I was able to get a SE for $4200 and with taxes/registration it came to $4800. All the shops I've been to give a 20% discount on gear bought with it.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
I'm located in the central valley, CA. Near modesto, if you know where that is haha.,

Tim
I'll be passing through there this Friday on my way to Grass Valley. Can't imagine you'll have a whole lot of shops to pick and choose from!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The only one I know of that's close by is Modesto Honda & Kawasaki. Been in there a few times its not a bad shop, decent selection of stuff. My cousin bought his Ninja 250 from them. He had a good experience with that place.

Tim

1 - 20 of 37 Posts