Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wondering if anyone has thought about putting a CAI/Ram air type of system to the airbox? From what I can see there are plenty of spots that tubing could be run through, and connected to either the induction snorkel or the hole that is left behind after removing said snorkel.

I was gonna give it a go this weekend with some tubing I already have laying around from previous installs such as this, but wanted to garner comments, positive or negative, on what the consensus is on doing such a mod.

Where the airbox is now, to me it would be drawing hotter air as it is behind the heat emitting elements of your bike, whch would equate to a slight power loss from drawing a higher intake temp, especially at idle/sitting. To be clear right from the start though, this mod wouldnt be about making an extra 5000HP, more about providing the engine with a cooler induction temp which would equate to better combustion conditions from my experience.

The mod I would propose would simply be tubing to draw air from in front of the motor, or a ram air style tubing with the opening pointing into the direction of travel, therefore giving a positive pressure to the airbox. Tubing hidden under the blacked out windscreen I think would be the perfect spot, and seems to be the area where most other bikes locate the ram air opening as the air will be forced up that way due to the aerodynamics.

Thoughts and comments, lots of members on here with good knowledge of these typs of mods. Fire away!!!

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
mate, sounds like a lot of work for bugger all gain to me.when we raced at speedway we made a wire mesh cage & shoved bags of ice in to it to help keep the radiator cool & made one for the air intake too

was an interesting experiment & one i wont repeat , as it was also a waste of time but man did it turn some heads in the pits! lol

·
Banned
613 Posts
It would be intresting to see the gain if their is any. I personally thing the current setup is stupid and could have been done better.

Your just going to need to dyno it before and after to see what your getting and what kind of fuel adjustments you need.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
how big are you going to make the tubing & are you going to insulate it some how from the motor so the air in the tube doesn’t heat up from the heat of the motor?

i still think its a lot of time/energy to see bugger all if any improvements

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ha we did the same sort of thing for the burnout comps, integrated into the intake a dry ice box!!! Again something we wont repeat, but it sure did turn some heads also.

Its not for any power gain, only to reduce air intake temps. Will try it out anyway and use a meter/sensor I have at home for measuring temp that I used when setting up my turbo setup on my car. Will do a standard air intake temp and then run some tubing and do another measurement. Best thing is it can be done whilst normal riding conditions so that will give a good indication of if it really makes any difference in temp. Interested to see what the intake temps on this bike are too.

Not that the bike runs hot anyway..........so probably a waste of time........but will have it apart to do some other bits and pieces and will check it out.

·
Registered
630 Posts
From what I've seen, cold air intakes do almost nothing on cars, it probably wouldn't be worth it.

You'll get better results from a pod filter + open exhaust.

·
Banned
613 Posts
From what I've seen, cold air intakes do almost nothing on cars, it probably wouldn't be worth it.

You'll get better results from a pod filter + open exhaust.
I'm more convinced some performance would be from the ram air system instead of a "cold air intake". Like you said it doesn't do anything for cars from what I can gather. I feel the bike would just breathe better. After all no other bike comes to mind that uses the 300's system.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I'm more convinced some performance would be from the ram air system instead of a "cold air intake". Like you said it doesn't do anything for cars from what I can gather. I feel the bike would just breathe better. After all no other bike comes to mind that uses the 300's system.
What do you mean by the 300's system? Airbox wise, the 250r is the same. There's been fuel injected 250r's for a few years now as well, just not in the U.S.

·
Banned
613 Posts
What do you mean by the 300's system? Airbox wise, the 250r is the same. There's been fuel injected 250r's for a few years now as well, just not in the U.S.
Yea the airbox style. I guess the 250's do have that but 90% of the larger bikes have a ram style air induction. That's what I mean.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Na I dint pursue it, had a look at how it could be run and is definitely possible though utilising simple tubing running to where the intake snorkel currently is in the airbox.

Even if it doesnt add anything performance wise, the bike will definitely be breathing fresher, cooler air.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Yea the airbox style. I guess the 250's do have that but 90% of the larger bikes have a ram style air induction. That's what I mean.
yeah but alot of the larger bikes have the air box in the front or under the fuel tank, the 300 is no the back literaly

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
i wouldnt bother pursuing it, need to remember its 300 cc. now if it was say 1000 cc, then yes.

theres only so much you can get out of a small engine reliably.

now a turbo charger on the other hand..... mmmmm. theres a thread about this already;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts