Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found this via Instagram today...

Rider was OK. The bike not so much.

Edit: Hooolllyyy... Watching this a second time, it just dawned on me how lucky both riders were. The one who crashed came very close to going head first into that hydro pole. And had the tailing rider been following even a foot closer, he would have crashed right into the 300.

·
Registered
733 Posts
So first prob was he hit the break!!!!! NEVER hit the break when in a turn. At least he walked away from it to bad about the bike though.

·
Registered
561 Posts
wow that was crazy, and a close call for both of them. dont know how new of a rider he is, but i can say for me i get a little nervous when a bigger bike is coming up on me. its just my lack of experience on twisties when i get concerned.

his bike is totaled.... ugh...

also a little of topic, that guys camera was awesome, sound was great i could hear every person talking clearly.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So first prob was he hit the break!!!!! NEVER hit the break when in a turn. At least he walked away from it to bad about the bike though.
I don't think the braking really had much to do with the crash; he only applied the brake once he was already trailing off.

Seems more like simple target fixation. There's a big memorial just where he crashed. Looks like he was headed straight for it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The guy who helped them drag the bike off the road was right. The guy too the wrong line into the corner, once the rider realized it he applied the brake instead of pushing the bars to enact more countersteer which may have saved the turn. Long story short, if you don't know the corner, SLOW DOWN. Better to take a corner painfully slow and be laughed at than go balls out and walk home.

·
Registered
561 Posts
i love how the camera guy needs help moving the bike, but the old guy just comes over and drags it by himself...

·
Registered
865 Posts
WoW yeah a lesson can be learned from this! glad their safe!

·
Registered
618 Posts
Scary. He just had to much speed for his expierence. Sure a better rider would've not braked and leaned more and maybe saved it but if he was going slower he wouldn't have been in that spot.

I drive slow in turns still. I don't need to show off and I know I have more to learn.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
See this is why I love riding. The camaraderie among riders is amazing. When someone goes down, everyone helps...even that one rider who was driving his car came back and helped move the bike out of the road. Awesome.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
New rider was the issue here.

Like others have said .. Target Fixation, Didn't Lean anywhere near as much as they should've/could've .. Boom Crash.

Ride within your limits folks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Looks like the rider was lucky as well. People have died around that corner in the past judging by the memorial placed next to the guardrail.

·
Registered
594 Posts
This is also a lesson for all you video editors...start just before the action.

I hope, if this rider continues his riding endeavors, he takes an ARS class, (Advanced Riding School) or this will happen again.

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
Wow. That's just sad. I couldn't imagine causing hard like that to my lovely 300 </3

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Any time I feel like I'm coming in too hot I lean more, you definitely won't save it by using breaks. Also people under estimate how important it is to look ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
I &#9829; Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
You can only save it if you have time to sit up straight and emergency brake safely. In that guy's case, braking would not have saved him regardless if he sat up. He should have just left his comfort zone and leaned, risking a lowside rather than slamming into some railing. Not every rider has the same reaction time / quick decision making like that I guess.

I went into a turn too fast, past my comfort zone because my buddy left me behind and I was playing catch-up. Luckily I decided to lean harder and roll the throttle than brake/stand the bike up.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Like others have said LEAN!!! But in this guys case if he would of leaned more, but not enough he would of missed the guard rail and went off that little cliff.. If he was to crash at all on that corner he was lucky hitting the rail in my opinion!

Either way, hard video to watch!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I used to make spirited drives through trabuco canyon in my modded GTI when I lived in OC. Lots of sudden turns and steep cliffs. I don't think I'm anywhere near the skill level to ride a bike through there. I've been racing cars on the track for years and I've still overcooked a few turns in the canyons back there. You should definitely know the roads extremely well if you're going to ride spirited through them. It's not worth killing yourself over a bit of twisty riding.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 47 Posts