Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I recently moved to Phnom Penh, Cambodia, and purchased a second-hand motorcycle that was being sold as a 2016 Ninja 250. It looks exactly like a Ninja 300. It's white. I am aware that a 250 version of the 300 was made in Malaysia, and perhaps other places in Asia.

What's weirding me out is the VIN on the frame. It's only 12 digits.

The VIN says, "EX250L-000123" (the last 3 numbers are different).
The engine says "EX250LE-001123" (13 digits!).

What gives? I thought Kawasakis were all 17 digits since the early 80s. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
347 Posts
hmmmm...that's not a VIN...something funny is going on

·
Registered
412 Posts
Sounds like model number and serial number.
VIN should start with something like "JKA" and have no dashes in it.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I think different countries have different VIN's. Honda only engraves the serial numbers of the engine and the frame. Then each country make their own VIN combining these two.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I'm looking at the stamp on the steering head.

I have since learned that VINs aren't uniform across all countries, and that my motorcycle is an import directly from Japan. Apparently, they use 12-digit VINs in that country.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Yes, I'm looking at the stamp on the steering head.

I have since learned that VINs aren't uniform across all countries, and that my motorcycle is an import directly from Japan. Apparently, they use 12-digit VINs in that country.
This is not strictly true, VIN follows an international standard (ISO 3779:2009).
Japan (JDM) does not use VIN, instead they use what's referred to as "Frame Number" which is similar, but basically composed of model number and serial number and contains less information.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the clarification.

I'm pretty sure now that this is a Japanese Ninja 250 that was crashed in Japan, exported to Cambodia, repaired, and then purchased by me for a low price.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts