Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and ladies, a few co-workers of mine are wanting to go out for a ride this coming Presidents Day. We all live around the Riverside California area. What would be a nice scenic route for us to enjoy from that area? Malibu, San Diego, any other beach cities with nice scenic routes?!?

One of my buddies rides a 2012 Honda CBR250R and the other has a Fairly newer Harley Sportster... I of course ride my Ninja 300...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
215 Posts
You HAVE to ride the highway 101. It can go all the way along the coast of California. It is a beautiful ride especially here in San Diego and I make sure to do it at least once every two weeks. If you do decide to do it, let me know!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Maybe Hwy 18 up to Arrowhead?

The back road from Crestline past Lake Silverwood to the Cajon pass is nice too.

Have a safe ride!

Sent from my iPod touch using MO Free

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Hey guys and ladies, a few co-workers of mine are wanting to go out for a ride this coming Presidents Day. We all live around the Riverside California area. What would be a nice scenic route for us to enjoy from that area? Malibu, San Diego, any other beach cities with nice scenic routes?!?

One of my buddies rides a 2012 Honda CBR250R and the other has a Fairly newer Harley Sportster... I of course ride my Ninja 300...

Mulholland is definitely a nice ride. Be careful though, some of those turns can be pretty treacherous due to the camber of the road dropping mid turn which can upset the bike. It is an old stretch of road so it doesn't have the smoothness engineered into that standard highways and interstates have. Take it a little slower on the turns especially since you have never ridden through it before. Also take note that a some of the 15mph turns are decreasing radius turns with changes in slope and angle. Many have wiped out on that highway due to underestimating the turns.

In about another month or so I would recommend taking a trip up HWY 18 to Lake Arrowhead. It's a fun ride through the mountains and beautiful country to ride through. It's also closer to you than Malibu. I grew up in this area and it's beautiful. You have to be careful though, as with any mountain road, debris like rocks can be common in the middle of the road so you have to be careful and look far up through the turn.

Wherever you and your group go, have a fun ride and enjoy yourselves. Remember, IT'S NOT A RACE. Ride your own ride and make sure you aren't pushing yourself to try and ride at someone else's pace. If you are the faster, better rider in your group, then be courteous and try and slow down a bit so you aren't unintentionally pushing the others in your group to try and play catch up. It's a guaranteed recipe for someone to be walking home.

Ride safe. :)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah to be honest I'm a bit afraid of Muhholland being that I am a new rider and still have chicken strips due to my lack experience with twisties.. Being that Muhholland seems to be knee dragger heaven and can sometimes get crowded I think I may stay away from there until I have a couple years riding under my belt.. Haha

·
Registered
134 Posts
Forgot that it snowed last week in Arrowhead. The roads will be clear but there will still be runoff in the shaded turns.

If you want to avoid all that by staying at a lower altitude maybe Mill Creek Canyon?

You can map out a nice relaxed ride - particularly if you go through Redlands.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Yeah. That's why I said to wait a few more months. Having lived there, I know how treacherous it can be there some times. Their plow service absolutely sucks up there due to the fact that CALTRANS doesn't want the plows getting down to road level due to tearing up the road. So there is usually a 1/10 of an inch of snow left over after plowing and that will turn into ice over night. This can sometimes stay for a month due to temperatures never getting above freezing for a bit. Also since the entire area is controlled by the Forestry Service, they greatly limit the roads that get chemical de-icing to just the main roads. It's against policy to use road salt in San Bernardino County, so they use de-icer. Which is much better for cars anyways. Don't have to have the car undercarriage sprayed every year with rubber for the road salt like they do on the east coast.

HWY 18 does get de-iced but it still is too much of a gamble to try and ride it. Not worth it. As said, their are some nice little areas in Redlands you can ride on. Also almost forgot, at the bottom of HWY 18 to Arrowhead, you have Waterman Canyon route that you can take which is really beautiful to drive/ride through.

Since it's winter though, it's usually easier and probably safer to look more towards coastal routes or do a nice desert route. For example, this would be the time to make a route 66 run. Give you a day or two to go up through Arizona and back. Although you might have to do a detour down and around Flagstaff so you don't hit the mountains.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Yeah to be honest I'm a bit afraid of Muhholland being that I am a new rider and still have chicken strips due to my lack experience with twisties.. Being that Muhholland seems to be knee dragger heaven and can sometimes get crowded I think I may stay away from there until I have a couple years riding under my belt.. Haha

Don't be intimidated, just ride at your own pace. I went there a month after I got my license, and yes I was slow (I think cars were going faster than me) but it's a great ride. Also, while there are a lot of "knee draggers" there, there are a lot of Harleys, Vespas, motards and every kind of bike you can think of. If you see a bike in your rear view that you think your slowing up, just pull to the right and wave them by. :D

Reactions: Decrypticshadow

·
Registered
315 Posts
How bout Ortega to San Juan Cap? I was thinking about that route today when i was out with mine. I know there are other routes near teh Beaumont area as well.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I have no idea how far the OP wants to go from Riverside in order to get to a riding spot. I would think for example anything around the OC and LA and further would be a bit too far. It can be a trip in itself of some not to nice drivers on the super slap. CA drivers on the freeway have redefined the definition of "Feminine Hygiene Cleaning Product" and I've been nearly side swiped in my car so many times. That's in a new Camaro too! That's a big ass car for "I didn't see it there." On my cruiser things seem to be better though. I don't know if it's because people in SoCal generally equate a guy on a cruiser with someone who will shoot em if they hose em.

P.S. Found a video on youtube of the HWY 18 ride all the way till the Crestline Loop.

http://youtu.be/eylf1x2XLtE

First off about this video, I'm not the rider on this video. Second of all, if decide you want to do this ride during early summer-fall don't ride like an ass like this guy does. Excessive speeding going up or down a mountain and hitting a patch of sand or gravel is a quick way to take a 3 thousand foot drop. If you are interested in doing this ride, you can watch the video to get a feel for the turns. Take note that the difficulty goes up quite a bit after the Crestline Loop until you get past Running Springs. The most common touring route is to go from HWY 18 all the way up to Big Bear Lake then back down around down HWY 330. It's really an awesome ride.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You HAVE to ride the highway 101. It can go all the way along the coast of California. It is a beautiful ride especially here in San Diego and I make sure to do it at least once every two weeks. If you do decide to do it, let me know!
We chose to take this route.. We too the 76 West to start South on Coast Hwy which turned into HWY 101... Went through Carlsbad, Leucadia, Encinitas, Del Mar, and a lil bit of La Jolla before we got a bit lost on how to continue on coast roads.. We ended up eating at Wahoo's Fish Tacos... Definitely a fun trip!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts