Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For many years i have enjoyed riding road bikes thru North Queensland and in this part of the world they are well known, but to some of you they may not be.
These roads are located right at the back door of Cairns, North Queensland. One of them is the Kuranda Range Road

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuranda_Range_road

This a great road to traverse either up or down on a motorcycle, but be careful as there has been many deaths on this road over the years.

If you leave Cairns and follow the Kuranda Range up to the table lands, you can go thru to Mareeba , turn left, go to Atherton, turn right, head thru Youngaburra and down the Gillies highway

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gillies_Range

The gilles is yet another road full of twisty windy road down the side of a steep Range. Great riding fun also.

Then head back thru Cairns and head towards Port Douglas.The road between Cairns and port douglas is about 100 kilometres or so, maybe a bit less. Its probably the closest thing we have in north queensland to the GOR (Great Ocean Road) just outside of Melbourne, Victoria

http://www.visitvictoria.com/Regions/Great-Ocean-Road.aspx

http://www.visitgreatoceanroad.org.au/

The GOR is an incredible bit of road, and many adverts for Car manufacturers in Australia have been made there over the years, i travelled it some years ago on my VFR800 when i rode it round Australia via highway number 1.

Another nice twisty road to head up once you have gone past Port Douglas is the road to Mt Malloy and the Atherton Tablelands.

My favourite ride to do when heading north is to peel off the Bruce Highway and head thru South Johnstone and join back up on the Palmerston Highway for a nice ride thru the ranges , turn right and head thru Malanda and on to Atherton and Mareeba. Then head thru Mt Malloy and down past Port Douglas, turn right at Smithfield (Cairns) and head up Kuranda Range, back to Mareeba, turn left,thru Atherton and turn right to Youngaburra and down the gillies and back to Cairns and over night there with friends and Family and in the morning do the reverse trip.

Its an awesome ride and the Ninja 300 will do it nicely in its stride:)

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Thanks for that info and history cruizin, there is some helpful information there.

Would you have any pointers for a new rider looking to take on the gillies with its 260 ish corners? I have gone up and down the palmerstone around a dozen times, but haven't had a chance to tackle the gillies or anything quite that technical with massive cliffs like that. I do enjoy nice twists on my 300, it always leaves me wanting more :D

A few of my mates have been talking about doing the 4 ranges in a weekend, I'm guessing the way through mt malloy you are reffering to is the rex range?

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have done mt malloy , gillies, palmerston , kuranda range on the 300, it does it in its stride

i cant remember what gear i went up the kuranda and down the gillies in, but it was a blast, the bike sounds great cos of the echo there.

this bike handles very much like my 2000 vfr800 & it does the range with ease
a tip for you is dont race the bike on the twistys

there could be anything on the road that might make you slip/slide

if you feel your getting sore wrists or what ever, then stop, theres plenty of places on these twisty roads to do it, so use the rest stops & enjoy the scenery

i cant wait to get back up there for a ride again

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Thanks cruizin, I'll just have to wait for a dry weekend now......:cool:

Would you recommend upgrading from the roadwinners to something better I tackle the twisty's?

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i tackled the twistys with the stock tires no dramas, in fact i have have done it twice now on the stock tires, no dramas at all, even in rain thats pouring so hard i cant see more then 5 car lengths infront of me & going at 60 kmph on the highway they still worked fine, trust me your getting your nickers in a knot over nothing

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thanks cruizin, I'll just have to wait for a dry weekend now......:cool:

Would you recommend upgrading from the roadwinners to something better I tackle the twisty's?
I'd say better get better than the stock tyres. looking back, you will spend more on changing fairings after a slide compared to the extra grip benefit from an aftermarket tyres. build up your confidence too... with a stickier tyre.

looking forward to the twistys. we'll be in mareeba on the 16th. =)

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd say better get better than the stock tyres. looking back, you will spend more on changing fairings after a slide compared to the extra grip benefit from an aftermarket tyres. build up your confidence too... with a stickier tyre.
im yet to have the tires slip, and i have been trying:D

·
Registered
127 Posts
im yet to have the tires slip, and i have been trying:D
must be the skill. =) you're alot better than myself and new riders. saying that, it might help us noobs. there must be a reason for the soft tyres in F1 and intermediate ones.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went to Paluma yesterday and got this

i will upload the coming down video next.
The road is a single lane road that is poorly maintained with sheer drop off if you over over the edge

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Thats a nice ride, your bike sure does sound a lot different to mine!

Just out of curiosity, what sort of camera have you got and where have you mouted it?

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have a Mino Flip
http://support.theflip.com/en-us/products/minohd/

i dont have it with me (at work) but i think its the HD one.
it was a present from a friend of mine a few years ago. awesome bit of kit. i love it

i have a "ram mount" camera adaptor i put together some years ago. one end has a U bolt on it so i can bolt it to a frame or handlebar or mirror & a small steel section in the middle to adjust the angle & at the other end is the camera mount. i modified it a little and added an extra bolt to it so i can screw the bolt up on to the base of a video camera in to a small lock hole to stop the camera twisting off the mount.

for this video above & the next video i will post as soon as it has uploaded. i mounted the camera off the front axle on the right side. i attached it to the axle bolt so the mount sat inline with the axle and then flip the mount up so it sat horizontal to road surface & mount camera to it.
if you like i can make a small video about it so you can see what i have

theres some videos i posted yesterday that show the clutch/throttle in clutchless shifting. i mounted the camera to the mirror stalks and pointed the camera thru the screen

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thats a nice ride, your bike sure does sound a lot different to mine!

you know what really changed the sound of my bike, was adding the Power commander 5 to it and dropping on the "canned map" from the power commander web site , i kid you not

the 2nd video is *STILL* uploading it has a few hours left to it , you will get to hear it rev and crackle a *LOT* more then on the way up

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Boy that looks so freaky, you riding on the left hand side...lol. Beautiful scenery, though!

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
its a breathtaking view. just got to be very careful & treat this road with respect. too many people have gone over the edge, been lost for days and not found alive.

i did this around 8 am in the morning. tried to get there as early as i could to avoid the traffic, it can get *VERY* busy along there im so glad i only come across 2 vehicles going in opposite direction to me

·
Registered
630 Posts
Do you have pod filters?

·
Registered
205 Posts
I miss living in North Queensland. I used to live directly opposite the start of the Kuranda Railway. I have been on many a trips as a child up and down those hills (In a cage sadly)
I will make it back there one day.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do you have pod filters?
nope. and not interested on getting either & my snorkel has not been removed

i gave this bike a hard break in, haven't babied since i rode it off the showroom floor

K&N air cleaner, +1 sprocket, power commander 5 & canned map, two brothers slipon

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I miss living in North Queensland. I used to live directly opposite the start of the Kuranda Railway. I have been on many a trips as a child up and down those hills (In a cage sadly)
I will make it back there one day.
nice little spot the Kuranda Rail , i havent been there in donkeys years, i dunno if it is still running or not

1 - 20 of 38 Posts