Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried using NGK CR8EIX Iridium spark plugs? I believe they are the iridium equivalent to the stock NGK CR8E spark plugs that are for the Ninja 300 with a similar heat range. Has anyone used them and if so, have you found better performance/economy with them or no difference at all? I use 98 RON fuel and am thinking of trying them.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I haven't used these Plugs in my Ninja 300. But there would be very little performance gain, if any, from these. Iridium plugs are designed for longevity as Iridium is a very hard metal, so it wears very slowly. Iridium isn't as conductive to electricity as Copper. So if you are looking for a hotter spark/ harder hitting spark. Move to either Silver (The best conductor of electricity, also the most expensive) or Copper (The 2nd Best and most affordable) Plugs. The downside of Silver or Copper plugs is that they wear down significantly faster than Iridium plugs. Copper plugs offer the best performance and price. Even Silver/Copper plugs would probably only yield you anywhere from 1-5 HP gains and possibly better fuel mileage because of the harder hitting spark, creating a more complete combustion of gases, which creates more energy.

Edit: After doing some research on the stock ones, the stock plugs are Nickel. Which is a worse conductor than Iridium, so you may notice a slight performance bump. But Silver or Copper is gonna give you your most bang for your buck.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Does Kawasaki recommend 98 fuel for the Ninja 300? If it's not recommended there would be nothing to gain to justify the added expense.

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does Kawasaki recommend 98 fuel for the Ninja 300? If it's not recommended there would be nothing to gain to justify the added expense.
On page 52 of the manual, they say that if "pinging" or "knocking" occurs, to use a fuel of a higher octane rating. The minimum rating is 91 but they say we can use a higher rating. I check with Fuel Watch to see when prices are cheap and then fuel up. I often don't pay that much more to get a better quality of fuel - especially for filling up a motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
"High end" spark plugs are right up there with headlight fluid.
did you know if you put blinker fluid in your headlight you can have a headlight modulator on the cheap!

buy your blinker fluid here

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=22

and if you need a heater for it, talk to Rekognize one of our members in Canada, he has one on his 300!:cool:
he has a post about fitting heated grips & he mentions the blinker fluid heater in there!

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
did you know if you put blinker fluid in your headlight you can have a headlight modulator on the cheap!

buy your blinker fluid here

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=22

and if you need a heater for it, talk to Rekognize one of our members in Canada, he has one on his 300!:cool:
he has a post about fitting heated grips & he mentions the blinker fluid heater in there!

I didn't for one minute think that the Bro was not being serious!

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
If you want the best in conductance and longevity you would get gold spark plugs. Gold is one of the best electrical conductors you can get and don't corrode or break down over time. Which is why for longevity missions for space, NASA uses gold for wiring and electrical components. One of the main reasons why some of those capsules and modules cost in the billions. A lower impedance, higher conductive material in spark plugs may not boost much performance if at all. With an electronically controlled system to control spark, you may not be able to get a "harder hitting" spark due to the computer sensing impedance and conductance and adjusting the spark for the proper programmed temp range. Now the other materials WILL increase the overall lifespan of your spark plugs but can put an extra strain on your coils as the computer has to up the power per spark to compensate for the lower conductance in order to reach the programmed spark temp. Copper will let you hit a higher spark temp for higher compression engines though, but on our bike, it's not really worth having the lower longevity with almost no performance gain to be had.

FYI: The material on a plug is it's core material. The electrode tip is almost always nickel with some samples being offered that have a more chemically durable material plated on it for longevity.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
i myself have always been using copper instead of platinum or iridium. yes the previous 2 last longer but for the best spark i use copper. better spark means more complete bang ;)

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
There isn't any "better spark." So long as the spark plugs are in the proper range, they'll perform fine. Copper cores just allow a broader range to be manufactured. If you can get iridium or platinum cored plugs for your heat range, it'd be stupid not to use them. If it was all about conductance then we'd be seeing top end gold plugs. But we don't. In fact there are resistors built into plugs and the wires to limit current which defeats the whole "better conductor" crap.

·
Registered
28 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
..and ya used all four, right? Surely an extra spark plug per cylinder adds horsepower!! :D
dont be silly, the bike only has 2 spark plugs, so i had to drill a hole in the exhasut manifold to make the plugs fit externally, so now its almost as powerful as a V4 motor. i had to make my own V style spark plug leads though to connect all 4 plugs at once, and wow, what a difference, it runs so silent & so smooth you would swear the engine wasnt even running at all

i used these hollow plug wires from kaleco auto

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=28

i had to cut & splice them to form a V but wow, they look fantastic on the bike, im so impressed:cool:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts