Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I test rode and bought my 2013 Z today for $7250. It's so beast. Instant torque that put me in the back of my seat! And the pics don't do the candy apple green justice. This will be my mod thread for the bike. As she sits she has 750 miles. Like new condition. Not a stratch on her. M4 dual slip on's. Bar end mirrors. Fender eliminator. Debadged. Warranty till 2018.
Future mods- motdynamic taillight. Rizoma bars for lowered seating position. Double bubble windscreen. 16t front sprocket. Shorty adjustable levers. And maybe paint her white pearl with white staggered wheel tape... Haven't made up my mind yet on that. The green is truly beautiful with the metallic flakes in the paint. Thanks to all for your support and good feedback on my 300 and even my newest candy apple green machine.:biggrin:

Attachments

·
Registered
417 Posts
Grats bro! It really is weird how they classify the insurance, man - is there something to do with the bike being naked? Now, that being a much bigger bike, how is the handling compared to our little babies? It actually does kinda look light for something over 1000cc and you can't argue with the price.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Grats bro! It really is weird how they classify the insurance, man - is there something to do with the bike being naked? Now, that being a much bigger bike, how is the handling compared to our little babies? It actually does kinda look light for something over 1000cc and you can't argue with the price.
Thanks man! Bro, the handling is great. Even though it's 100 lbs heavier the bike/engine was designed to have the weight at the bottom versus the top so it doesn't feel heavy to me at all. And, I'm a little guy. 5'6 150 lbs. It's not as nimble as the lil 300 but it honestly feels more like a 600 as far as maneuverability. I really liked the 300. I REALLY LOVE THIS BIKE! It looks so much better in person and it looks beastly! And the insurance is so much cheaper than 600's. $49 a month for me, and I have a few tickets on my record. It's not as popular a bike as 600's and I don't think many have made claims with them that's why they are cheaper. That's all I can tell. Either way, I'm stoked. I originally wanted a 636 but I'm glad I got this over that. It has instant power and torque at any rpms. Crazy torque.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Good looking bike!

Look into suspension sag for your weight. Stock setting is probably for a 180lb rider.

If you want more footing then look into a shorter spring for your weight. Those springs have a stiffer center so it can be shorter. It will reduce seat height at a stop. The suspension will lift the bike back up when you start moving so that differs from actually lowering a bike.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Oooooh that looks nice! No way I'd paint that white - thing looks like a freakin' beast!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good looking bike!

Look into suspension sag for your weight. Stock setting is probably for a 180lb rider.

If you want more footing then look into a shorter spring for your weight. Those springs have a stiffer center so it can be shorter. It will reduce seat height at a stop. The suspension will lift the bike back up when you start moving so that differs from actually lowering a bike.
Suspension sag?? I only weigh 150! Footing is not too much different for me than with my 300. with both feet down I'm on my toes a little bit, but if I lean to the right just a little I get my right foot completely down. It's only got a 750 miles on the suspension and I suspect it'll settle and little more as I ride the crap out of it. That's what my 300 did.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Suspension sag?? I only weigh 150! Footing is not too much different for me than with my 300. with both feet down I'm on my toes a little bit, but if I lean to the right just a little I get my right foot completely down. It's only got a 750 miles on the suspension and I suspect it'll settle and little more as I ride the crap out of it. That's what my 300 did.
When i said suspension sag i meant to say to dial in the suspension to your weight.

Sag is just one of many benefits that reduces seat height when the suspension is calibrated to a rider with a lighter weight. Every motorcycle should have a correct level of healthy sag for road use. Track/race set ups generally have less sag because the tracks have as less bumps and imperfection. Incorrect sag or no sag can upset the suspension.

Motorcycle correct "sag" is not making the suspension softer. It is different than when a new bike's suspension settles in. Or for older bikes when the suspension starts to deteriorate.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/new-rider/choosing-kit/2006/november/feb23-05-how-to-set-suspension-sag/

·
Registered
410 Posts
she's a beaut! what type of riding do you do? I've been looking at all my options and some of the naked bikes seem to nicely priced, the fz-09 in particularly, although I enjoy highway riding, which kind of sways me away from one.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When i said suspension sag i meant to say to dial in the suspension to your weight.

Sag is just one of many benefits that reduces seat height when the suspension is calibrated to a rider with a lighter weight. Every motorcycle should have a correct level of healthy sag for road use. Track/race set ups generally have less sag because the tracks don't have as less bumps and imperfection. Incorrect sag or no sag can upset the suspension.

Motorcycle correct "sag" is not making the suspension softer. It is different than when a new bike's suspension settles in. Or for older bikes when the suspension starts to deteriorate.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/new-rider/choosing-kit/2006/november/feb23-05-how-to-set-suspension-sag/
Thanks man! I'll definitely look into it and get it adjusted when I can.

she's a beaut! what type of riding do you do? I've been looking at all my options and some of the naked bikes seem to nicely priced, the fz-09 in particularly, although I enjoy highway riding, which kind of sways me away from one.
Thanks man! I mostly commute about 35ish miles everyday to my job on the freeway and then just around the city (Colorado Springs). On the weekends I head up to the mountain twisties though for a good ride. On my 300 I rode pretty aggressively to get the most out of the bike. I'll take it a little easier on this beast until I get used to it then I'll open it up more and lean more in turns. Better safe than sorry on this big guy.

·
Registered
410 Posts
So compared to the ninja 300, how's the wind resistance of the z1000? If that makes sense, since it's a naked bike, do you get "hit" by a lot more... Wind? Lol if that doesn't make sense I'll try to clear up

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So compared to the ninja 300, how's the wind resistance of the z1000? If that makes sense, since it's a naked bike, do you get "hit" by a lot more... Wind? Lol if that doesn't make sense I'll try to clear up[/QUOTE

I've only ridden one 3 times. The first one had a double bubble windscreen on it and I couldn't tell any difference than the 300. The one I just bought I've only ridden once on Thursday when I drove up to the guy (2 hours away from me) and it has the stock 'windscreen'. I say windscreen in parentheses because it's not really a windscreen at all. But anyways, with that it had a little bit of wind buffeting but not much at all. The seating position is very similar to the 300... Semi upright depending on how tall you are. I'm actually leaving to go pick my bike up here in a couple hours from the guy and will ride it 2+ hours back home. I'll give an even better review of that tonight. I made a deposit on the bike when I saw it on Thursday and my bank wired the rest to him on Friday, had to work all day yesterday, so finally going and taking possession of it today. I've already ordered a Zero Gravity Double Bubble for it. It'll look like this on the bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
410 Posts
Awesome! Definitely let me know how that ride goes, the z1000 looks so good with the m4 exhaust! Also the windscreen looks like a huge improvement over that tiny stock one, plus it looks pretty cool too!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Awesome! Definitely let me know how that ride goes, the z1000 looks so good with the m4 exhaust! Also the windscreen looks like a huge improvement over that tiny stock one, plus it looks pretty cool too!
Picked her up today and rode her home for 160 miles or so on the freeway and side roads.. The wind buffeting is barely even felt honestly, no different to me than the 300... Except when you get to 100+ speeds. I got her up to 149 with a full tuck but had to let off cause the wind was so strong. Only did that once for a mile or so when it was safe with no cars around. Shhhh. It's truly a monster. And I love it. Definitely gonna have to be careful with the throttle or I'll get myself in trouble. The M4's sound so amazing on this bike. Couldn't be a happier camper.:biggrin:

Attachments

·
Registered
279 Posts
Here's a vid of the M4's on the Z1000. I couldn't upload directly here so I had to put it on YouTube an post the link instead. Sounds a lot better in person.

http://youtu.be/AwUMTgU3nsI
Sounds awesome! I'm guessing that even though the Z1000 engine is slightly detuned from the ZX-10 it would still sound even better when riding since the Z1000 is in stereo with the dual pipes.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sounds awesome! I'm guessing that even though the Z1000 engine is slightly detuned from the ZX-10 it would still sound even better when riding since the Z1000 is in stereo with the dual pipes.
Thanks man, Not sure what the zx10 sounds like but I know I like this one... It sounds so mean in person. It definitely turns heads. Not that I'm an attention seeker for my own ego but it is nice to be heard on a bike as much as possible. Even with that though, people still cut me off in traffic. It's happened twice already on this bike and I've only had it 24 hours!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Nice ride, man! I'm a huge fan of the naked look. There's a guy at work with an FZ-09 that I drool over. Faster than a Vette Z06 stock. Enjoy it, and maybe I'll join you one day.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts