Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All

I am new to this cummunity and not yet quite sure if my question suites this thread, but any advice would be appreciated either way.
I am picking up my new ninja 300 on Wednesday the 30th, but the dealer is located about 60 miles from my home, I am concerned about the trek back home as i read the tyres are quite hard and obviously slippery when new. 95% of the road back home is 4 lanes of freeway.. (nervous) So i guess my question is, should I just "man up" and ride it back home, or have it transported on a pickup?

P.S. This is not my first bike, ive been riding on and off for a few years. Had a KX 85, CBR 125r and ridden on countless other small bikes, 250 being the biggest..

·
Registered
280 Posts
Well what is your experience? If you have been riding for awhile go for it. But if you're new i would let your dealer drop it off to your place. Better be safe than sorry right?

·
Registered
958 Posts
If your only concern is the tires, don't worry. Their fine for any type of normal street use from day one. The only reason you should change the tires is if your going to be riding on the track or the canyons. Riding on the freeway and city streets is not a problem.

·
Banned
562 Posts
its 40 miles from dealership to my house on freeway i rode it tires r fine

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
tires are good just give em like 5 minutes to warm up before you go crazy. it's been my experience on cold mornings (like 45 degrees F so not even TERRIBLY cold, but cold for florida) that they take a bit longer to warm up and consequently i go cautiously around corners...

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Freeway riding on the tires would be the easiest - straight lines.

If you said you had to ride Deals Gap to get home, then I'd say avoid it. lol

·
Registered
221 Posts
If your only concern is the tires, don't worry. Their fine for any type of normal street use from day one. The only reason you should change the tires is if your going to be riding on the track or the canyons. Riding on the freeway and city streets is not a problem.
So are the stock tire not good for tracking or canyons? I wonder if people have done either or with the stock tires.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
They work but if they let go, they really let go. Regular riding around at 5 tenths is fine. I got mine scrubbed in pretty good before the hard cold hit us but the real sport tires I replaced them with just give much more feel and hook much better.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
So are the stock tire not good for tracking or canyons? I wonder if people have done either or with the stock tires.
Correct. People have done it, but even those who've ridden the tires on the track say they leave MUCH to be desired.

If you plan on riding hard, change em' out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanx for the advice everyone! Drove the bike home from the dealer this afternoon, tyres were fine.. The bike was surpisingly stable on the freeway (had heavy winds)

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts
im using the stock road runner tires, have done a weekend trip and covered over 800 kilometers on them including riding up and down twisty roads on the side of a range, the roads were

kuranda range

and

gilles highway

both just outside of Cairns, North queensland, Australia, the tires worked just fine, so did the rest of the bike too

1 - 12 of 12 Posts