Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone first post here. Im 6'1 215 lbs and haven't touched a motorcycle in my life. I'm really interested in a Ninja 300 but think I'm going to get bored of it in the first few months. My roommate who has ridden bikes his entire life thinks I would do fine on a 600cc, but the price and the possibility of me destroying the bike and/or myself worries me. However, I will eventually want to upgrade to a 600cc and was wondering the resell value of a 300 if I were to buy it brand new for $4,800 and then try to sell it in 1-2 years or when I get bored of it, which I hope won't be soon. I am planning on taking the MSF course in the upcoming month and will hopefully be buying the bike mid summer.

Thanks

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hi everyone first post here. Im 6'1 215 lbs and haven't touched a motorcycle in my life. I'm really interested in a Ninja 300 but think I'm going to get bored of it in the first few months. My roommate who has ridden bikes his entire life thinks I would do fine on a 600cc, but the price and the possibility of me destroying the bike and/or myself worries me. However, I will eventually want to upgrade to a 600cc and was wondering the resell value of a 300 if I were to buy it brand new for $4,800 and then try to sell it in 1-2 years or when I get bored of it, which I hope won't be soon. I am planning on taking the MSF course in the upcoming month and will hopefully be buying the bike mid summer.

Thanks
Wether you get bored or not will probably depend a lot on your riding style...if you are a canyon carver or track junky then you will probably really enjoy the bike. I started on and still ride 600s and i really enjoy this thing....You're not going to have that same burst of acceleration with this bike then you would on a 600 but what the bike lacks in power it makes up in agility. This thing is tons of fun to flick around the twisties...try to test ride one if you can and see for yourself. I'm sure the resale value will be good with this bike it seems to be really popular with a lot beginners and some advanced riders.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wether you get bored or not will probably depend a lot on your riding style...if you are a canyon carver or track junky then you will probably really enjoy the bike. I started on and still ride 600s and i really enjoy this thing....You're not going to have that same burst of acceleration with this bike then you would on a 600 but what the bike lacks in power it makes up in agility. This thing is tons of fun to flick around the twisties...try to test ride one if you can and see for yourself. I'm sure the resale value will be good with this bike it seems to be really popular with a lot beginners and some advanced riders.
I live in Chicago so I will be mostly go-stop traffic and highways.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm 6'1" 240lbs just for reference.

The thing about the 300 is that it's a great bike to learn on. Not because it's under powered or somehow "safer" (don't let anyone tell you any motorcycle is "safe") but because it's light weight and easier to manage. It's much easier to build confidence and learn proper riding technique on a light weight flick-able bike like the 300. This being your first bike and using it primarily for city riding coupled with the low cost of ownership, the 300 is an excellent choice.

Just to quote myself from this thread:
http://www.kawasakininja300.com/forum/8-ninja-300-general-discussion/3912-questioning-your-decision.html

I originally bought the 300 as a first bike just so I could get into the sport without paying ridiculous insurance costs with the intent of trading for a 600 down the road. However, considering my savings in gas pay for the bike and it's so fun to ride, I'll probably end up keeping the 300 as a commuter and get a 600 later to play with on weekends. As for now, I'm enjoying my 300. I don't regret this decision at all.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Pros with 300:
High rev in cities without going 60mph in first gear ( I enjoy this lol)
A lot cheaper insurance
High resale value, everyone always look for a beginner bike to learn on
More forgiving with rider's mistakes over race replica bikes
More comfortable riding position for longer rides (I like sportier feel so I put clip ons and yoshi rear brackets on)

If I want to upgrade, I'll buy a second bike. I've only had my bike for 1.5 months and I ride it everyday, unless I don't feel like getting wet that day. I thoroughly enjoy this bike, I don't feel like I'll get bored with it anytime soon.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
However, I will eventually want to upgrade to a 600cc and was wondering the resell value of a 300 if I were to buy it brand new for $4,800 and then try to sell it in 1-2 years or when I get bored of it, which I hope won't be soon.
if you want to keep it for 1-2 years, why buy new. why not get a 2nd hand one, at least save yourself some cash in the process

·
Registered
69 Posts
Also, when i bought mine, the dealer said the Ninja 300's will hold resale value if you end up selling it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts