Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I impulsively bought a used Ninja 300 with 1400 miles on it yesterday. The owners rode it up and dropped it off. 30 minutes later go to show my daughter and it won't start. (see here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/KFCk13SC1CXantvG7 ). Bought a trickle charger and it started up last night/this morning and after o got home from work. Went out one last time and was going to take the bike just down my driveway and stalled (haven't ridden in 20 years). After that attempt to start is same as in video again. The bike has been dropped, according to previous owners not crashed.

Looking for all the help and education o can get. I've been searching YouTube and internet for exact results but not much luck.

Thanks ahead of time, Nick

·
Registered
251 Posts
Looks and sounds like classic bad battery to me. The noise you're hearing is the starter relay engaging and disengaging rapidly over and over. The previous owner likely jump started it to bring it over.

I'd suggest taking the battery out and having it tested at an auto parts store.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I'll do that tomorrow. Sonim guessing that the stall just caused a surge of power needed that the battery didn't recover from?

·
Registered
251 Posts
The battery probably had just enough juice to start the bike once after charging. Once it stalled it just didn't have the snot to start it again. There are of course other things that could be to blame but the battery being bad is the most common by far.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gotcha. Yeah it started like 4 times but it just idled I didn't ride anywhere.

The turn indicators didn't blink either just went on and stayed on. Any ideas there?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you. Picked up a new battery and so far so good on that end. Yeah I think they're Led. The previous owner(s) also diy fender elim so I'm not sure if that could have something to do with it. Would be good to have a blinking light I think though.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Depending on the overall current draw they will make the flasher faster or not work at all leaving the lights stuck on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thank you. Picked up a new battery and so far so good on that end. Yeah I think they're Led. The previous owner(s) also diy fender elim so I'm not sure if that could have something to do with it. Would be good to have a blinking light I think though.
Consider getting a battery charger / maintainer. It will help your battery last a little bit longer and also prevent surprises like the one you experienced.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Thats true only if he's not going to be using it much or only driving very short distances. With normal use the battery tender is kind of redundant.

·
Registered
3 Posts
When you turn your bike off use the key and not the kill switch, people tend to leave the key in and on when using the switch which kills the battery

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sounds like the new battery fixed your issue. Keep in mind, a trickle charger is only meant to maintain a charge during storage, not enough juice to charge a dead battery. Should probably check that the alternator is producing more than >14VDC at the battery while its running. Hard to imagine that the previous owner had been riding with non-blinking turn signals. Still, could be a bad relay.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Ehhh...it happens all the time. Someone gets sweet new led turn signals. After install they realize no Blinky and decide to fix it later. Later never comes.....
I've bought 2 bikes with that exact problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Need to replace the flasher relay for led set up that's all . Unless you have missing running lights and get the click of death or a super dim back light on guages when off unless in neutral and kill switch put on run .both my ninja and warrior had this problem when I bought .I work at a bike shop and see this once a week or more

1 - 17 of 17 Posts