Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, been lurking around these forums for the past week or two and read a bunch. Already decided on this being my first bike (and I expect to drop it and scratch it, doesn't bother me - Ill just learn how to put it back together:)). I will be purchasing it in the next couple of weeks, I plan on taking my MSF course next Friday and then making my final decision on the bike for sure. And I am Canadian eh, so hopefully meet some people on here for a few group rides seeing as none of my buddies ride.

Anyhow, I have been following a lot of racing, looking up track days and so forth, basically drooling all over my keyboard at how badly I want my bike :p. I am planning on taking either the RACE or SOAR courses here in Ontario to learn the track and just to become a better rider after getting a couple thousand clicks on the bike I think.

The real question here being, I am 6'3", how does that work out for racing? Too tall to ever become competitive in it? I honestly have no idea when it comes to this. Every video or racer I see is 5'11" or lower, will 4" really make a difference for me? I can't seem to find a straight answer anywhere on google.

Sorry for making this question so long :D

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Welcome to the forums! The height might be a problem.. mostly it's long arms that gets people. You can buy kits to lower the handle bars and stretch them out farther, this will allow you to get a better tuck if needed!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
we have a few guys here who race the 300 & im sure they can chime in & give you a good answer, but we do have guys over 6' who ride this bike on the street
Yessir not too worried about the street, more so the track but I am sure anything can be adjusted to fit needs. I used to wish I was taller (playing football) now I wish I was smaller...go figure haha:D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Tallest "was" racer I can think of is Mat Mladin (6' something). You only looking at the GP class racers? :D
hahaha something like that yea :p actually its pretty hard to find stats on people (they don't keep them everywhere like football!) so looking to see heights/weights is pretty tough. Im sitting at 6'3 250 down from 310lbs, and gonna keep going to about 210-220 see how the bike feels for me.

I know I'm not the lightest guy, so I don't expect to be the fastest once I get going in the sport, but I would like to be competitive...its just in my nature! ;)

edit: and thanks I am going to look him up.

edit#2: 6'1" and 170lbs...I feel like I am going to be cutting down to twig size to feel competitive on a bike, ah well more of a challenge, plus I got some time to learn the in's and out's of biking while I cut weight.

·
Registered
958 Posts
When it comes to racing, height isn't the issue, weight is. Valentino Rossi is the greatest motorcycle racer ever and he's 6'1" tall, but he weights about 150 pounds. I think Ben Spies is the heaviest that I know of (in MotoGP) he's 5'11" and 160 pounds. The key to racing (as I understand it) is to know how to use your body on the bike to get it around the track the fastest way possible. As far as a professional career in racing? Usually the best riders start out very young, but you never know :confused:

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Racing the 300 if you are tall, is NOTHING, compared to racing a vintage Yamaha YSR50 or YSR80 (I have had my 1987 YSR50 for 24 years now). Check out this awesome video. YSR's have 12" wheels with an air cooled 2 stroke 50cc or 80 cc motor. They can push 110kms per hour stock.

·
Banned
62 Posts
It's like being a jockey, it's better the smaller and lighter you are. It helps you to tuck in better and prevent drag. The taller you are the harder that is to do. The heavier you are the more it affects the power to weight.

Nothing to say you can't be a racer, it's just easier and more practical the smaller and lighter you are.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yea definitely not trying to become pro like motogp or WSBK but hey if I could go up in some races in Canada I would be in heaven :D

Racing the 300 if you are tall, is NOTHING, compared to racing a vintage Yamaha YSR50 or YSR80 (I have had my 1987 YSR50 for 24 years now). Check out this awesome video. YSR's have 12" wheels with an air cooled 2 stroke 50cc or 80 cc motor. They can push 110kms per hour stock.
Man those things look tiny, I would definitely swallow them up right now if I jumped on them haha.

·
Registered
958 Posts
You could definitely do some club racing, and perhaps even racing at a national level (don't know what they have in Canada, here in the U.S. we have the AMA) but like everyone says, being lighter is a big thing. Your height makes no difference at all, every rider learns how to use their particular body type to their advantage. But each class has mechanical specifications for the bikes so that everyone is basically racing evenly matched BIKES. If your on the same bike as a competitor but you weigh 50 pounds more, he's going to easily beat you. At 6'3" tall, you should weigh between 170 to 200 pounds. Doing things like cycling, power yoga and a healthy diet will not only help you achieve this, but it will keep you in shape for racing. :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Definitely been keeping on my healthy eating and working out. Not so much the yoga (only cause I don't have a gym membership, used to do it all the time with my football program ) I'm going to keep cutting to try and get my weight down, just nice to reaffirm my own mind knowing that 6'3" isn't going to throw me right out of the game.

And as for up here in the north, we can the CSBK as far as I know of for top tier racing. If anyone is interested just YouTube Marcel irnie, has a ton of videos about racing and does his own videos/mini documentaries.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
159 Posts
Good topic. I just bought a 300 which I pick up on sunday. I'm 6'1 188lbs and I'm more concerned that I'll look like a giant on this bike lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts