Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals, like the title says I'm considering one of the new 300 ninjas. I currently have a cbr250 and I love it, however I'm making the change to a motorcycle as my only transportation. That said, as much as I love my cbr I'm looking at getting something that can hold its own on the highway a bit better. I really like using a small displacement bike, so the 300 looked like it has some real potential.
Anyways, I'm sure there are plenty of answers on here. I'm looking forward to seeing what all you have to say about these new machines:]

·
Registered
221 Posts
If you have already ridden a 250cc bike for a while, then I can't really recommend paying full retail for a brand new 296cc bike, it just isn't much of an upgrade.

I would recommend you get a cbr500 or a ninja 650, because if this is your only means of transportation, a mid-size displacement bike will be much more comfortable at highway speeds than a ninja 300.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking about the cb500f, but I really don't know that I'd want/need something that big. The 250 has been enough, and I've even taken a few 300+ mile trips on that little bike. I figured it would be nicer having a parallel twin over a single cylinder but still keeping within a small displacement.
I'll definitely keep that in mind, regardless though. Maybe I'll try to get a test ride in one both those models to compare them first hand. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I was thinking about the cb500f, but I really don't know that I'd want/need something that big. The 250 has been enough, and I've even taken a few 300+ mile trips on that little bike. I figured it would be nicer having a parallel twin over a single cylinder but still keeping within a small displacement.
I'll definitely keep that in mind, regardless though. Maybe I'll try to get a test ride in one both those models to compare them first hand. Thanks for the input!
Dont forget about the yamaha fz6r! I hear it rides a little smoother than the ninja 650!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I was on the same boat as you the other month. Traded in my CBR250R for one of these Kawa 300's and I'm not regretting it at all.

You can definitely feel the extra kick this bike will give you, and how much smoother the ride is.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I traded my cbr 250r in and got a white ninja 300. I got one without abs brakes to save 500 dollars and I have been riding since 1974 so I prefer not to have abs. The twin cylinder engine is much smoother so you dont have to down change for big hills. I put a 1 tooth front sprocket on it and its like having an extra gear at the top end of the gearbox. It still has economical tyres like the 250. I considered the cbr 500 but it has a bigger price and dearer tyres.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I traded my cbr 250r in and got a white ninja 300. I got one without abs brakes to save 500 dollars and I have been riding since 1974 so I prefer not to have abs. The twin cylinder engine is much smoother so you dont have to down change for big hills. I put a 1 tooth front sprocket on it and its like having an extra gear at the top end of the gearbox. It still has economical tyres like the 250. I considered the cbr 500 but it has a bigger price and dearer tyres.
How much do you trust this bike tyre's when leaning on Hw roads at high speeds? and when doing slow 90 degree turns?..sometimes i don't feel much feedback from the rear tyre and feel that if i lean a bit more, it'll loose grip and fall.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Their is only 1 road I'm scared to turn to hard on here because it has a horrible patch job n the turn. Every time I hit it, I'm going too fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I'm not a huge abs fan. I figured it would have just enough power being a twin and a tad larger displacement. I still have the 500 in the back of my mind (my first bike was honda, so I've a soft spot for them), but again I just don't feel like I'd need that much more power. Decisions decisions... But thanks for the input, everyone:)

·
Registered
865 Posts
Well if this is your commuter, your prob trying to save on gas correct? the 500 will use more gas than the 300 for sure...

As far as power, I see no problems with my 300 at all power wise, its all you will ever need. yeah maybe you could be in a lower gear on the freeway with a larger displacement engine... but whatever, its not like this bike lacks passing power. Also a +1 front sprocket really really helps smooth out the bike and lowers the rps a lil. If you go witht he 300, put in a +1 front sprocket. Considering from what I hear highway is the bulk of your commute.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.