Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just picked up my brand new 2014 Ninja 300 ABS yesterday morning and I have already put 350km's on the clock!

I have really enjoyed the past twenty four hours getting to know my new bike but theres a few questions that have arisen an cant seem to find an answer for:

I noticed a bit of a ticking when I roll on the throttle in high gear, I was wondering is it because Im in too high of a gear for the speed I was doing?

For example if i'm cruising in sixth gear at 2000-3000-4000 rpms would that happen to be a cause of a weird engine or chain sound due to the lag of being too slow for the high gear?

I apologise If I didn't explain that very well but I am just looking for confirmation on my theory that I should be in a lower gear and higher rpm range so the engine is more responsive and no lag / chain sound.

Is down shifting at high rpms harmful for the engine? What rpm range should I reach before downshifting and should I wait momentarily between each gear or downshift consecutively rapidly?

How much should i blip to downshift?
I either do it perfectly and shift smoothly but then the other half of the time I either surge forward when i change gear or slow rapidly, i'm assuming because I haven't matched the revs properly? Do I need to blip more for more revs the lower gear I go? (aka blip 1.5k revs from 4th to 3rd, blip 2k revs from 3rd to 2nd, blip 2.5k revs from 2nd to 1st).

Should I avoid first gear unless i'm starting from a stationary position? I sometimes take corners in 1st and notice it is very jerky i'm assuming am better off in 2nd?

How quickly can I let out the clutch in gear changing excluding first?
I know its obviously slow in first to find the friction point etc etc but i find myself slowly releasing the clutch even in high gear changes, should i just be snapping it in and releasing it out in one quick motion?

Apologies again if this wall of text just comes across as a mindless incoherent ramble as i'm honestly inundated with all these things that come through my mind as I'm riding, being a beginner in the unknown.

all help and advice is greatly appreciated! :)

Ride safe! Peace!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Welcome to the Forums!, As for first gear..it is really short, when i had the 300 i would never use 1st to take turns, i would at least be in 2nd gear. At a light i would be in first and go up to at 7-8k then shift to 2nd. the more you ride your bike the more you will learn about it.
For clutching in and shifting, as fast as you can do it....the more you get use to it. in first i would not "dump" the clutch.
downshifting, i actually dont blip the throttle...dont know why. i normaly will be using both my brakes and downshift as well....
more people with more experience will chime in.
hope i kinda helped.

·
Registered
1 Posts
- As said in owners manual, downshift should be done at 5000 rpm or less.
- You should ride your bike at lower rpm (not higher than 6000-6500) the first 1000km / 600 miles.
- The click when you roll the throttle is normal behavior.
- Yes, you should avoid 1st gear to ride.
- Practice will make you faster with the clutch. The faster the better.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.