Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Ninja 300
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'll be picking up a 2016 Ninja 300 on Sunday. It has under 100 miles and was purchased new but the owner doesn't ride it and needs the garage space. He thought he would use it for commuting but changed jobs and never needed it.

I rode motocross in my younger days and still have my Suzuki DRZ 400. I ride that all the time in the twisties and local streets. I thought this would be a great bike to take off his hands as my son wants my DRZ.

I've read great reviews of this bike and can't wait to start wrenching on it!! I like doing my own work so I'll be changing oil, radiator fluid and will get new tires and battery as it hasn't been ridden in 4 years. Basically, it's a brand new bike!! Anyone have any other suggestions for me. I know he didn't finish the break-in period due to the low miles.

Ride safe everyone

Paul

·
Registered
558 Posts
Welcome, Paul!

I have a DRZ too, the SM version. Beautiful combination of bikes. I'd really wish the DRZ were fuel injected though. The DRZ carb never gave me a problem (yet), but I have bad dreams about carburetors getting clogged.

·
Registered
2016 Ninja 300
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Topaz. On the DRZ, you've got to do the mods they recommend (3x3 jetting, mcct, filing shifter, etc) they mention on thumpertalk.

·
Registered
2016 Ninja 300
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome, Paul!

I have a DRZ too, the SM version. Beautiful combination of bikes. I'd really wish the DRZ were fuel injected though. The DRZ carb never gave me a problem (yet), but I have bad dreams about carburetors getting clogged.
My 2003 DRZ S has been camping, crossing streams, off roading on trails, been on motocross tracks, you name it. It is a bullet proof bike.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'll be picking up a 2016 Ninja 300 on Sunday. It has under 100 miles
It always amazes me how low miles some of these bikes have. Not even broken in! I think this might the lowest-miles / oldest-year ratio bike I've seen of on the forum ;)

(There might have been a 2014 with 300 or so miles on it.)

Enjoy!

·
Registered
558 Posts
My 2003 DRZ S has been camping, crossing streams, off roading on trails, been on motocross tracks, you name it. It is a bullet proof bike.
Yeah, great fun bike. I got it a couple of years ago. I got it used with low miles. The previous owner did all those mods they talk about in ThumperTalk and some more too.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Registered
2016 Ninja 300
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all. Here she is. Black matte beauty!! I drained the gas, took the fairings off and wiped them down from the dust, changed the oil, ordered a new battery. The coolant looked good so I didn't bother changing it out (any thoughts on that?). It sat since 2017. Tires only had 15 lbs rear and 0 lbs front of pressure in them when I picked it up. I inflated them to spec with my pump and loaded it into my Tacoma. I'll see if they hold pressure but will probably buy new tires regardless.
I'm so excited to commute and play with this

Attachments

·
Registered
558 Posts
Looks good!

The manual says to change the coolant every 22500 miles or three years. I think that's pretty conservative. However, I've heard that old coolant may lead to corrosion. Coolant is cheap, so it wouldn't hurt to change it. For sure you don't need to rush to do it.

Same with the tires. If you're going to commute the bike, I would use the stock tires and get better tires after the stock are gone. Especially if you're not planning to commute in the rain.
If you're planning to use it even if it rains, then better tires will give you peace of mind. Anyways, if you feel like better tires, new tires always feel good. I really like the Michelin Road 5. For commuting the 300, I'd say they could last between 7 and 9 K miles. I use my N300 street rides and track, not commuting, and the Mich Road 5 lasted me 5k miles. The center was still very good, but the sides were (softer) gone. I guess that would be valid for similar Sport touring tires.

·
Registered
2016 Ninja 300
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks good!

The manual says to change the coolant every 22500 miles or three years. I think that's pretty conservative. However, I've heard that old coolant may lead to corrosion. Coolant is cheap, so it wouldn't hurt to change it. For sure you don't need to rush to do it.

Same with the tires. If you're going to commute the bike, I would use the stock tires and get better tires after the stock are gone. Especially if you're not planning to commute in the rain.
If you're planning to use it even if it rains, then better tires will give you peace of mind. Anyways, if you feel like better tires, new tires always feel good. I really like the Michelin Road 5. For commuting the 300, I'd say they could last between 7 and 9 K miles. I use my N300 street rides and track, not commuting, and the Mich Road 5 lasted me 5k miles. The center was still very good, but the sides were (softer) gone. I guess that would be valid for similar Sport touring tires.
Looks good!

Topaz, Thanks for the suggestions. No track days for me. I will ride it in the twisties periodically but wont be too aggressive (at first 🤣🤣).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts