Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys my name is Jack and i should be getting my 300 in a couple days, i first want to say i love how the bike looks, not sure if i should get white or the se green adn black, still unsure.

had a few questions.

is this a good first bike?
i have never ridden before ever, i just have always loved and had a passion for bikes, so im getting rid of my car to buy the bike and have change for, jacket, helmet, and a few accessories.

can anyone help me out with any info i might not no, im going to try the dmv today or tomorrow to try to pass my written so i can drive it off the lot when i get it in a few days.

if anyone has any information to help in any way please do, recommend any parts, jackets, helmets, anything please feel free i no i am a noob so i might not no all the terms so please help me thanks, and i plan on paying cash out the door whats a good number for one of these things?

thanks
jack

·
Super Moderator
1,075 Posts
I would suggest taking the MSF course before doing anything.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks

my only problem there is i work friday to monday with tues, wed, and thurs off and all the courses in my area are during the weekend.

·
Banned
1,037 Posts
Make sure you can still use the bike with a permit like in co you half to have some one with a full mc license in a car or bike following you at all times your you can still get a ticket id also see if they can drop it off at your home as part of the sale. Its going to be fun learning to ride and a lot more simple at your home and not your local streets.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks

well i live on a closed street so once i get it home i will be able to ride around the block and stuff with out hassle of cops and stuff like that, so i can practice, practice, practice....

·
Registered
140 Posts
well i live on a closed street so once i get it home i will be able to ride around the block and stuff with out hassle of cops and stuff like that, so i can practice, practice, practice....
get a good feel for the clutch and when the bike engages. but practice makes perfect...right? haha.

·
Super Moderator
1,075 Posts
get a good feel for the clutch and when the bike engages. but practice makes perfect...right? haha.
wrong. you can practice all you want and you wont be perfect.

perfect practice = perfect.

but if nobodys perfect, why bother practing? :p

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thats the only way i can think of getting started i always wanted to get my bike adn get rolling but because of my work schedule i always stall because i cant take the class.... so im think just buy it, practice, and when i feel im ready take the dmv thing

·
Super Moderator
1,075 Posts
I'd still highly recommend taking the MSF first. For the amount of coin youll be dropping on a new 300, with absolutely no experience and you want to drive it off the lot? Bad news

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'd still highly recommend taking the MSF first. For the amount of coin youll be dropping on a new 300, with absolutely no experience and you want to drive it off the lot? Bad news

Especially if you are really getting rid of your car in favor for a bike. You state that you have NEVER ridden motorcycle before. You want to make sure you have reliable and most importantly SAFE transportation to get to work. I would take the MSF course before ditching the cage man. See how you like it, and get a feel for it, practice on it, and once you are comfortable THEN you can do what you want!

·
Banned
1,037 Posts
But what's going to happen if you kill it at a stop light or lock the brakes and lay it down getting it home. If you are able to ride it home then you don't really need the practice.

·
Registered
151 Posts
my only problem there is i work friday to monday with tues, wed, and thurs off and all the courses in my area are during the weekend.
Why not ask your employer to switch your days around for a weekend off so you can attend the MSF? Or switch days off with someone for a week? Request the days off? (Sucks I know, but it's only your life we're talking about here, knowledge is power...and while there's different ways to skin a cat - one way is usually better and more effective than the others).

I'm sure there's other ways around it.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Umm, yeaa, sounds like a terrible idea to ride off the lot on a new bike with no formal training. Take counter steering as an example. For slow manoeuvres below 15 Mph, you turn right, the bike goes right. At speeds above that, you turn right and it will go LEFT. Not something you want to figure out when you need to do an emergency maneuver on a public road.

·
Registered
958 Posts
You really need to take some sort of basic rider course, they will teach you things that you'd never figure out yourself. Plus it usually counts as the riding part of getting your license test. Try contacting the MSF teachers and tell them your work schedule and see if they can work something out for you, maybe a private class (would probably be more) but you really need some basic instruction, especially if you've never rode before.

As far at the Ninja 300, it's the best starter and maybe the only bike you'll need. I'd recommend the extra expense of the SE model with ABS as it's a big safety feature. As for gear, shop around and get gear to cover ALL of you, helmet, jacket, gloves, pants and boots.

Most importantly, have fun :D

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
As for a few of you saying dont ditch the cage, i have 4 cars, and traded 1 in for the bike so i still have 3 cars to drive back and fourth to work if needed, the bike is going to be a little hobby like my days off and stuff learn and stuff, as for the course i called a teacher and i can take private classes and yes there almost double the cost of the orignal classs but lots and lots of you are recomending it so i will take it, and im not driving it home my neighbor has a trailer and on monday he is going with me to pick it up and put it on his trailer... all white and its mine sold to me i now own it so wish me luck and see you guys out there he he....

·
Registered
958 Posts
Sounds like you've got it worked out, feel free to ask any questions (you'll have tons)and have fun with your new hobby (I only ride mine on days off too, it's my toy) be safe :D

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
santa monica right around the corner im in west covina area lol, hop, skip and a jump lol... thanks for all the help guys hope to be riding with all of you soon...

·
Registered
56 Posts
santa monica right around the corner im in west covina area lol, hop, skip and a jump lol... thanks for all the help guys hope to be riding with all of you soon...
Congrats on your purchase. Also have a stardust white ninja, so we're like family now, haha. I commute on the 10 freeway passing West Covina sometimes so maybe i'll see you. Good luck.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
maybe lol once i get riding and all that, i pick her up tomorrow, and all that...
sweet your also around the corner, any meets or clubs in the area you know of?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts