Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What a long afternoon! With my box from Area P and my new Leo Vince Full Corsa GP exhaust in hand I took to the garage today. Began with taking off the body panels. Third piece in and wham! The rear upper plastic tail piece cracked. Not a big crack but no the less a split in the plastic right at the middle joint. Ugh!! :mad:

Didn't let it stop me as I was a on mission today. Get the Area P installed and my new exhaust. After 2 1/2 hours of taking screw after screw after bolt off, and pulling plastic panels left and right off I finally had the bike in all it's naked glory.

Note: If you haven't invested in a rear wheel stand yet and plan to do any type of work like this it will be a godsend to have. Really made getting to all the underneath areas so much easier.

Once I had all the panels off I began running the wires for the Area P. So much easier to deal with then the Power Commander V with less cables to connect. Only three OEM plugs to disconnect and reconnect for the Area P. I believe the PCV is twice as many to do. So, it went with out a hitch and used a pair of needle nose pliers to remove the factory clips (easier to pinch the release and pull with pliers). Used two 3 inch pieces of wood to prop the gas tank up so no tank removal needed. Plenty of room to reach all the plugs. Plus it was easy to just reattach the two rear bolts to put the tank back into position. Very smooth job taking less than 1 hour start to finish.

Now the fun part, removing the factory exhaust and installing the new Leo Vince. Again, having the bike on a rear stand and floor pad to lay on made it so much easier had I left it on the kickstand. Taking the factory exhaust off was so simple I laugh. Remove the header 4 flange nuts (hardly any torque at all on them, as they should be), remove the center mounting bolt in the middle of the exhaust pipe, and the rear mounting muffler connecting bolt at the rear passenger peg and the whole exhaust dropped right off. Good thing I had my pad under it, as it literally dropped straight down to the ground.

Watch a few YouTube videos on installing the Leo Vince full exhaust for help and glad I did. The exhaust comes in 5 separate pipes, including the muffler. I installed the new header flanges from Leo Vince, reusing the factory nuts and copper exhaust gaskets. Just remember the torque on the nuts is very low like 12-15 foot lbs; any more than that and you can damage the flange bolts and/or port openings. Just snug enough to hold the new connectors in place. First I tried installing the header pipes as seen on the videos, but that didn't work for me. The header collector pipe (3rd pipe down from the head) wouldn't line up to receive the header pipes coming off the head. So, I undid the two header pipes from the head and slid the collector pipe onto the two header pipes first before connecting to the head. I think the reason why this works better is because the exhaust routes differently with the Leo Vince full system. The factory pipe stays on the right side of the bike and back while the Leo Vince system curves onto the left side immediately then curves back to the right side. It stays tucked under the bike better and close to the oil drain pan.

I attached the springs to the header pipes and to the collector pipe at this point. Inserted the replacement mid-mount bolt (shorter) and left it loose on purpose; just enough to keep the pipe in the right place. The 4th pipe inserted into the 3rd without any real effort, slipped right in ;). Attached the spring to this pipe and the 3rd pipe. Last pipe was the muffler itself, at first I thought it was too small. You must get the angle perfectly squared when inserting muffler pipe over the 4th pipe opening. There is nearly zero tolerance and might take a little effort and time to get them married up. Last bit was to install the muffler hanger around the muffler, and attach supplied bolt and rear spacer to the passenger peg bottom opening the stock exhaust used. Once I check everything was in proper place, I tighten down all the bolts and wiped the pipes clean.

Really took me more time than I was expecting today, and cracking a body panel through me off my game. The bike is naked with the body panels laying all about right now in the garage. Tomorrow I will shoot some photos and post before I put it all back together. I did manage to wheel the bike out of the garage afterwards and started it up to get my reward, and it was truly a musical reward! Will shoot video on the startup and running too and post. Check back tomorrow as I have the day off to finish my project.

Later.

Before I forget, a nice feature of the full Leo Vince system it has a Lambda sensor port on the center collector pipe and comes with a screw in block off bolt. This opening can be used for the O2 sensor during dyno tuning if your programmer allows this type of tuning; which the Area P does not.

·
Registered
463 Posts
where are the pics, the sounds and review if any :)

·
Banned
613 Posts
What kind of gains do you get from a full exhaust?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Patience all, I'm in for the night. Tomorrow I will post pics and video. If you believe Leo Vince website, the full exhaust alone give a 29% increase, right :rolleyes:

With the new fuel map from Area P I hoping to get another 4 HP and 1.5 ft lbs from both of them together. If the sound of the new exhaust is any indicator it might be as high as 6 HP :eek:

·
Banned
613 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if you can hit 5hp with a fuel map.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My wife just heard the bike with the new exhaust and like it! Her comment, "Doesn't sound like a 300 anymore". I just love my women so much! :D

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ok you said "women", does that mean you have more than 1 wife? hahah. kidding aside. So how much did you spend for the area p tuner?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
List price from Area P; $262.45 shipped. You get your money's worth in customer support. Their unit has 1/2 the plugs the PC V has which makes installation easier with reduce risk of a bad connector.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Sounds nice, I got just the slip on, I'm hoping they'll work with me and I'm able to order the rest of the kit for a decent price when I have the money to throw at it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Just got mine installed. Good lord that thing is loud without the baffle (and filter pods). The good news os.that it pops up when I wring it out in first and shift to second :D

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Just got mine installed. Good lord that thing is loud without the baffle (and filter pods). The good news os.that it pops up when I wring it out in first and shift to second :D

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Yes that is a nice little surprise isnt it?? Especially when your not expecting it. Doesnt come up by like a foot or anything like that, but definitely lifts the front ever so slightly.............from a 250 based motor what can ya ask for hey? :D

·
Registered
484 Posts
I just installed the exact same system on my bike and its real nice. I haven't got an area p tuner yet so its running a bit lean, was wondering if running just the exhaust system is ok for the bike because it does crackle and pop on the overrun.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think the only way you are you going to get the rid of the fuel over-run is with a more advance tuner that has more tuning controls. Easy fix is ease the throttle off instead shutting it off completely when slowing down.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thread necro'd. Were you able to tune the area-p for baffle in/baffle out? I'd like this functionality

1 - 17 of 17 Posts