Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing my annual ‘clean up my calipers’...take ‘em apart, clean ‘em and lube the slide pins..and I noticed my front pads are getting a little thin. Not quite replacement time, but getting closer.

It got me thinking about new pads. I read a ton of old posts here as well as doing online research. I am still somewhat confused over all the conflicting info.

Sintered or organic? Some say our bikes came OEM with organic, others say ABS bikes came with sintered, some say front are sintered, rears are organic.

Some say sintered are great. Better stopping power and last longer. Won’t eat rotors.
Others say sintered have to be hot to work and will destroy our soft OEM rotors.

I’m just a casual street rider looking for improved braking, if possible, over the stock pads.

What have you done when it came time for pad replacements?

·
Registered
251 Posts
If you just ride casually on the street I'd say get ebc organics. They will wear the rotor less than sintered and have a more progressive feel on the street. The trade-off is they wear faster and can't handle as high heat (like on a track) as sintered.
Sintered pads are essentially metal and definitely will cause more wear to the rotor.
I'm not sure what comes stock on the 300 but a lot of sport bikes come with sintered pads. As far as improving braking, unless the pads you have are complete garbage you aren't going to see a massive improvement no matter what pads you go with.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, Kennylxix, one more thing...it looks as if current pads are sintered (?) Not sure if these are factory or not..I bought bike with 2800 miles on it 3 years ago, no clue what pervious owner(s) did..

Pads are stamped Nissin TT2701HH. The EBC pads that end with HH are their sintered ones. Do I currently have sintered pads?

Attachments

·
Registered
251 Posts
I can't be sure as I can't find a direct reference to the model number on the pads but they appear to be sintered.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I went with sintered, and after the full break in, it was a bit better than my worn out pads, but not game changing better. I was looking into steel lined brake lines for improved feel, but no one has chimed in on a good set with 2019 experience. That could be a worthwhile upgrade to you, but consider the tradeoffs with going that way before you do.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
since my current pads are sintered I went ahead and ordered the EBC sintered pads on Amazon. They're only $26...If I don't like 'em I can always swap 'em out for something else. I love how cheap stuff is for this bike!

·
Registered
367 Posts
The only trade off one I could think of SS lines is cost, but they don't cost too much either.

You buy the lines, you have fun installing them, you end up with better brakes, they last for ever, no cons.

I guess any known brand name would be good enough. I got the Galfer, but I'm sure Spiegler's are good too.

·
Registered
367 Posts
^^ How are 2019's different from previous years?

Spiegler's are great SS lines, and so are Galfer's, which are two of the most known brands.
It's not that complicated. One of easiest, cheapest and more rewarding mods to do on the N300.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a N300 (2013) with 12K on it and it has SS lines. I was surprised... $130 for a kit isn't bad at all but Mine has ABS so the kit is $200. I was surprised to see them on there. It takes a long time to install them and bleed them properly. It takes forever to bleed ABS brakes and they actually needed to be bled AGAIN when I bought it. The front lever traveled too far so I had to spend another bottle of fluid to get it firm like it should be. But eventually they will firm back up like new.

If you like working on your bike.. go for it. But if you have a shop do it - it will be pretty expensive in the labor to have them put on. It shouldn't take more than an hour for regular. For ABS.. more. So that all adds up and you don't even need it haha. If you ride track then yeah it makes sense.... kinda. These brakes are so good on these bikes to begin with because they are so light. I would rather buy some sticky tires or some new riding gear than mess around with better brake lines.

I definitely vote for the sintered pads for sure! Galfer or EBC are great + make a difference. Your brakes ONLY work as good as your tires. If you have amazing brakes and horrible (or stock : ) tires then your bike won't stop as good as it should. If you buy sticky or high quality tires then you will be able to stop as good as the brakes are. Don't forget this! People always overlook this fact.

Buy a larger front sprocket - much nicer on the freeway. That's a more worthwhile upgrade. Have a shop install it. It's the hardest front sprocket bolt to remove ever and they won't charge you much and it won't take long at all for them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts