Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An E-Bike company in Toronto just released a bike that looks like the Ninja. Looks like they either partnered with Kawasaki or copied them blatantly.

Emmo Zone S

It costs almost as much as a Ninja with none of the performance. The only savings are in license/insurance.

Attachments

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah... personally, I hate e-Bikes. I think they are a danger to everyone. They are too slow to be safe on the road and too fast to be safe on the sidewalk. And the riders are typically not trained and are a danger to themselves.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
In quite a few places in the U.S., it's actually illegal to ride bikes on the sidewalk now. You use the bike lane or the shoulder. An e-bike would do just fine sticking to road cycling rules. The only issue I'd see with this thing is that it looks too much like a motorcycle and will have the rider getting picked on by cops all the time for riding in the bike lane. The other issue you'll have is that electronic motors are super inefficient when operated at max RPMs so at top speed that motor will probably be overheating and constantly cutting power to reduce heat while simultaneously, drain the battery super quick drastically reducing it's effective range. It's barely serviceable in a neighborhood or school zone as a motorcycle and it's body structure doesn't quite match it's classification at first glance which will give the rider a ton of headaches.

·
Registered
458 Posts
This thing is absurd. Not sure how many they'll sell but it won't be many.
Maybe if this one fails they'll make a 30mph/30 mile range Lamborghini look-alike that costs about the same as the real thing.

This one made me laugh though:
"1. No insurance required. Save more than $2000 a year. 2. No gasoline required. Save more than $1800 a year. 3. No parking fees. Save more than $1500 a year."

That's a saving of $5300 a year! But wait - there's more: order in the next 30 minutes, and.....

·
Registered
381 Posts
This thing is absurd. Not sure how many they'll sell but it won't be many.
Maybe if this one fails they'll make a 30mph/30 mile range Lamborghini look-alike that costs about the same as the real thing.

This one made me laugh though:
"1. No insurance required. Save more than $2000 a year. 2. No gasoline required. Save more than $1800 a year. 3. No parking fees. Save more than $1500 a year."

That's a saving of $5300 a year! But wait - there's more: order in the next 30 minutes, and.....
Nice inflation of benefits and improper accounting for other costs!

1) Insurance on my N300 is costing me about $160/yr (basic coverage).
2) I can't imagine I spend $1800/yr on gas in my bikes (probably less than $500), and they conveniently seem to charge their eBike off of free electricity somehwere... (Note, cost per km is about 50 times higher for the N300 than for the eBike, rough calc using current gas and electricity rates for Halifax NS)
3) Personally, I have no regular parking fees so just the odd parking meter or parkade, maybe $100 a year conservatively?
Then due to range and speed limitations, have to take my car much more often in the summer, probably in the range of $500 more worth in gas (bike is effectively twice as efficient as car in my case, so any cost "savings" on gas get eaten up by needing to take the car).
I could save less than $300 a year to have a vehicle (read: bicycle) with a max speed of 32 km/hr (I've gone over 50km/hr on a cheap pedal powered bicycle I got at Walmart) and a max range of 60km? AND not have a proper motorcycle? Where do I sign up for that slice of heaven... :wacko:

·
Registered
732 Posts
Charging time up to 10 hours, ride time approx 1 hour. 500W is just 0.67 hp! Surprised it can go 30 mph or even uphill.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts