Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, I live in Indonesia and just bought the new z250, and i need someone with the knowledge to help me out. I been searching all over the place to the answer to the question below.

Because the 2013 z250 is basically the ninja 300 2013, except with 250cc engine, is it possible to upgrade the engine to the ninja 300cc engine?

My friend told me that its possible, I just need to change to the bigger ninja 300cc piston, piston rings, etc.

According to him, the engine is the same for both what changes is the thicker cylinder walls and piston.

Can anyone confirm if he's correct?

Thanks in advance and hope nobody gets too mad if i post here about the z250. :D

·
Super Moderator
1,075 Posts
Why would you want to. The cost/benefit isnt even worth it IMo

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Why would you want to. The cost/benefit isnt even worth it IMo
Bikes above 250cc are quite expensive here, so spending 1500usd in exhaust, powercomander and if possible increase to 300cc, it wouldnt be that expensive, with some luck 37/38 hp at the wheel would be a huge boost...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Im not sure but for the cost of boring the engine and dropping in the 300cc rings and pistons, it may be easier to just buy the 300cc engine and drop it in.

I believe you would have to re program the ecu for the bigger displacement as well !

·
Registered
523 Posts
I believe the pistons are simply sleeved in the 250 as opposed to the block itself actually being different, so that may actually help things.

·
Registered
70 Posts
hello my friend, :D
Yeah, I now about the taxes in our country, but to be honest, I think the cost is not worth it. If you seriously wanna do that, I suggest find some 400cc 4cyl bandit's engine, since that machine is very applicable to our diamond frame chassis.
for a cheaper solution, I think there already bore up package from local dealer to increase the engine into 296cc, it around $600-$750

·
Registered
387 Posts
i would think that just getting a 300 motor would be your best bet. Also, post up some pics of that thing!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I believe the pistons are simply sleeved in the 250 as opposed to the block itself actually being different, so that may actually help things.
Thats what I heard also, that its the same block, so it shouldn't be that hard to up it to 300cc!
Basically i would be using stock parts from the 300cc engine...

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
It's stroked compared to the outgoing 250. If I recall correctly, the new 250 has the same stroke but a smaller bore than the 300.
Nup other way around. Both the 250 and 300 have the same bore size being 62mm, but the 300 has a 49mm stroke compared to the 41.2mm stroke of the 250. Hence the extra capacity. And the compression ratio of the 250 is higher compared to the 300.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nup other way around. Both the 250 and 300 have the same bore size being 62mm, but the 300 has a 49mm stroke compared to the 41.2mm stroke of the 250. Hence the extra capacity. And the compression ratio of the 250 is higher compared to the 300.
In your opinion is it possible to upgrade my z250 engine to the 300cc spec, using the 300cc engine parts?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I would order the engine. By the time you get the new crank, pistons, rings, connecting rods,etc..... And you still need a reflash. I say just buy the motor. People total these bikes out all the time.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
205 Posts
I don't know about the technical side of it. But I saw this on Instagram the other day, it may be what you are looking for.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I don't know about the technical side of it. But I saw this on Instagram the other day, it may be what you are looking for.
He really doesn't need a bore kit. The 300 is a stroked out 250 with fuel injection. Stroke is the length of the piston travel, bore is how wide the piston is. Now what would be sweet is a bored over 300.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
those wont fit. see the inlet that is round on the side, it should be square. kwaka changed it on the 300

·
Registered
801 Posts
No idea if the blocks are the same or different but the redesign from the old 250 meant the bottom end of the block need a lot of meat removed to accomadate the larger crank throw! Not sure what they have done with the 250 in this regard!

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
No idea if the blocks are the same or different but the redesign from the old 250 meant the bottom end of the block need a lot of meat removed to accomadate the larger crank throw! Not sure what they have done with the 250 in this regard!

i know for a fact they are different, here is the ninja 300 one

1 - 20 of 49 Posts