Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

Need some help with a project...

5K views 43 replies 7 participants last post by  Ghostt 
#1 ·
The title says it all, I have a 98 Ninja 250 with a now blown engine, and I managed to pick up a 2014 Ninja 300, complete with the FI, engine/bike wiring harness, ECM, and all other pieces.

So can you guess where this is going now. I've done the research, and have the information as far as just using the engine, swapping my carbs, flywheel, stator, and fitting the engine.

But I'm wanting to keep all the modern things, like the F.I. set up.

So any help would be appreciated.

A little bit about me, I'm a member of EX500.COM, and NINJETTE.ORG for many, many years, and a very active member, along with other forums as well.

In my stable now 91 ex500, 07 ex500r, 98 Ninja 250f, and a 84 Honda Goldwing Aspencade

#31 ·
Okay with warm weather, comes working on the project, those who follow me on Instagram I'm using #HQ300 HQ stands for Harley Quinn, and 300 for the engine.

So today I changed out the O-rings on the coolant pipes, as one was leaking last year before winter rolled in. They are OEM, and greased before installation.

Automotive tire Wood Bicycle handlebar Tire Bumper

I also checked the motor side to make sure nothing wierd was going on.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Automotive wheel system

The type of grease I use for all my greasing needs.

Tin Paint Waste container Cylinder Font

All buttoned up

Wheel Tire Bicycle tire Automotive tire Tread

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive exterior

Sorry no picture of the one in the head, but you get the point.

Next up I decided to go with a pod filter, I ordered the K&N back last year, and it got here in March, I have no idea why it took so long, just happy it arrived.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Bicycle tire

The air temperature sensor will be installed into the filter later, because my cordless drill is not in the shop at this time.

Next up filling it up with coolant, I picked up a coolant funnel kit off Amazon, with made it a whole lot easier, and inexpensive.

EPAUTO Spill Proof Radiator Coolant Filling Funnel Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I40ZQWE/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_1GEGJ57DFK0MT8RZ8A84?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

It's easy enough to use, attach it to the where the radiator cap goes and full it up about 1/2 way 40 oz. then remove the plunger part. Once it's done filling up, add a bit more coolant, and start it up with everything still attached, and let it cycle the radiator fan a couple of times. The after that, shut it off and let it cool down, insert the plunger and remove everything, install cap and done.

The cool part about using this is there in almost no coolant lose, no need to keep adding coolant while it's running. This is one tool worth the money.

Drinkware Automotive tire Ingredient Food Motor vehicle

No that's not Dexcool, it's plain 50/50 with redline water wetter.

So that's the engine done with fresh oil, filter, and coolant.

And was the easy part part of this build.

Stay tuned......

Reactions: Topaz and jkv45
#33 · (Edited)
That's about it in my case, also you'll need a small filter for the crankcase breather tube, and 3/8" barbed brass piece.

K&N Vent Air Filter/ Breather:... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009774GCA?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Freeman Z3838MMBC 3/8-Inch by 3/8-Inch Male to Male Brass Barbed Coupler with Clamps https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FPFMEHM/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_F37PM5EGYA59MF36NHHD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

keep in mind I'm not working on a 300 bike.

K&N Universal Clamp-On Air... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00062YHYM?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I remember looking around here, and found a few threads on the subject.

If you decide you're going to do it, I have another pod filter. It's a knockoff K&N, but I'm sure we can work something out.

HIFROM Replace R-0990 Universal... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JFQVO36?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Reactions: Topaz
#35 ·
Keep in mind I'm not doing this for performance. I'm doing because I can't use the 300 airbox, do to fitment issues with the battery, etc..

I was thinking about just using the 250 airbox, but this gave me the excuse to go pod 😁

#37 ·
Another Sunday more boring progress,

So now that I decided to go with a pod filter I have two problems, first was the crankcase breather, second was the air temperature sensor.

After looking at both hoses, 98(left) 17(right).

Wood Plumbing fixture Door knocker Gas Font

I decided to go with the 98, it just looked better, and wasn't hanging with unsupported weight.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive fuel system

While this looks better, we shall see how much oil leaks out. In the event that happens I go to the 17 one and zip tie up.

Air temperature sensor mounting location is left to the wiring as I didn't want to cut it, I then used a 1/4" drill bit, then I used a 3/8"drill bit a little so the sensor sits flush.

Rectangle Font Electric blue Gas Auto part

Gas Rim Circle Auto part Automotive wheel system

Automotive tire Rim Gas Home appliance Automotive wheel system

Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Tread Automotive lighting

After that I started mocking up the 300 dash, I also got the plastic too, and started doing some trimming.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Alloy wheel Vehicle

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Fuel tank Motorcycle Vehicle

Used a busted up fairing, didn't want to mess up my nice one.

#39 ·
Yeah, I'm pleased so far, got a lot more to do, boring stuff mostly.

I got the fuel pump situation worked out, then after that it's just putting all the modern electronics into the old school frame which was never meant to have any of that stuff in there.

Also dealing with certain things are not in the same place like the rectifier is not under the tail section in the back like the old 250, it's up under the upper fairing on the 300.

#42 ·
Thank you, it's turning out just as I had hope it would.

Haven't worked on it this season due to health issues. I had surgery on Tuesday, so I'm on the road to recovery, and get back to my shed to get things moving along again.

I got a few more things I want to do to the bike, upgrades, modifications, changes, etc...

My final vision for project HQ300, is to keep it looking like a 98 Ninja 250, but underneath it all modern, updated, etc...

#44 ·
Thanks,

Like I said the project got stalled, and there is a bunch of little things to do, which always takes the longest time and sometimes more money of any project.

At least the suspension, and brakes were already done previously, so that will save time, and money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.