84' Goldwing Aspencade, 91' EX500, 98' Ninja 250 w/ 17' 300 engine, 07 EX500
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
More progress, first off I decided to drill out the upper frame mount, first I used a 3/8", then 7/16" bit, and perfect for the 10mm bolts. After that I bolted the 300 engine, with no issues, and the radiator just to see how it looks.

Next up was the change out the rear sprocket to 42T(OEM 300 gearing) rather than the 45T( OEM pregen 250 gearing) to keep the speedometer accurate, being I'll be using the 300 dash. I did notice that the speed sensor bracket was broke, so I'll need to replace that.

Next mocking up the 300 exhaust system, so goodbye center stand, but then I found out the rear exhaust mount lines up perfectly with the right side frame center stand mount. Thank again Kawasaki for being lazy again.

I decided I'd try to use the 300 airbox, I got it in, but it does make for a few issues I got to figure out, all else fails, I'll go back to the pregen airbox.

Reactions: MAL

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Just a thought, I'm thinking about going with pod filters, as this will make the whole filter thing easier

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Just a thought, I'm thinking about going with pod filters, as this will make the whole filter thing easier

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)

Project HQ300 IT'S ALIVE!!!!! Started it several times before I shot the video, so oil was warmed up, and flowing, so don't get on me about reving a cold engine. Also found out the neutral safety switch was bad, fortunately the one from the dead 98' 250 engine was the same.

Before I started it, it got new NGK iridium plugs, stainless steel hardware for the exhaust manifold, Shell Rotella T6, K&N oil filter, and Vortex stainless steel magnetic drain plug.

I had the run a tap for the new exhaust studs to clean up the threads so the installed easily.

I'm happy with the results, the engine is good, so is the used fuel pump.

What do you all think so far?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Project HQ300 is coming along nicely, but now I'm waiting on parts to arrive. So on to the less exciting things, got 17' Ninja 300 forward controls, and mock up the 300s dash, kinda....

Vehicle Bicycle handlebar Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Automotive design

Bicycle handlebar Automotive tire Bicycle tire Motor vehicle Bicycle fork

Automotive tire Trigger Motor vehicle Bumper Machine gun

The reason for changing the controls is I'm using the complete 300 wiring harness, and the 98 250s won't work with the 300 harness.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Progress on Project HQ300, new stuff to install, set of sprockets from arashimoto these have a rubber to cut down on chain noise?! I've never used these as JT has always been my first pick. Removing the nut on the output shaft was a bit of a pita but got it off, 2' breaker bar and 220 lbs. I used anti-seize compound on the new nut, and torked to 92 foot pounds. Rear wasn't an issue, as I've used anti-seize compound on these, plus the titanium nuts I installed years ago.

Automotive tire Wheel Bicycle part Alloy wheel Rim

Automotive tire Gas Circle Font Auto part

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Alloy wheel Automotive lighting Automotive design

Wheel Tire Crankset Bicycle tire Automotive tire

Aluminum radiator, & pink silicone hoses. I had to replace the OEM radiator due to it was slightly bent, so why not change the OEM hoses out for some pink silicone ones. The new aftermarket radiator is slightly bigger, should hold more coolant, also added a radiator protector as well.

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Purple

Water Wood Grille Rectangle Audio equipment

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Tread Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tread

Reactions: jkv45 and Topaz

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Shameless bump 😁

Reactions: Rogue

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I like that Arashi front sprocket.

Their logo looks a lot like the Arai helmet logo.

Did you shim the cush drive? Ours were always very sloppy, and improved significantly with shimming.

I just picked up a new cush, so no shimming needed.

I look forward to seeing how the Arashi front and rear sprockets do, as far as cutting down on chain noise. Like I said I've been using JT brand for years.

I know the rubber will wear out, but it's not my concern, as I have other bikes, and this will be my GF's ride, so not a lot of miles.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Okay with warm weather, comes working on the project, those who follow me on Instagram I'm using #HQ300 HQ stands for Harley Quinn, and 300 for the engine.

So today I changed out the O-rings on the coolant pipes, as one was leaking last year before winter rolled in. They are OEM, and greased before installation.

Automotive tire Wood Bicycle handlebar Tire Bumper

I also checked the motor side to make sure nothing wierd was going on.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Automotive wheel system

The type of grease I use for all my greasing needs.

Tin Paint Waste container Cylinder Font

All buttoned up

Wheel Tire Bicycle tire Automotive tire Tread

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive exterior

Sorry no picture of the one in the head, but you get the point.

Next up I decided to go with a pod filter, I ordered the K&N back last year, and it got here in March, I have no idea why it took so long, just happy it arrived.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Bicycle tire

The air temperature sensor will be installed into the filter later, because my cordless drill is not in the shop at this time.

Next up filling it up with coolant, I picked up a coolant funnel kit off Amazon, with made it a whole lot easier, and inexpensive.

EPAUTO Spill Proof Radiator Coolant Filling Funnel Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I40ZQWE/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_1GEGJ57DFK0MT8RZ8A84?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

It's easy enough to use, attach it to the where the radiator cap goes and full it up about 1/2 way 40 oz. then remove the plunger part. Once it's done filling up, add a bit more coolant, and start it up with everything still attached, and let it cycle the radiator fan a couple of times. The after that, shut it off and let it cool down, insert the plunger and remove everything, install cap and done.

The cool part about using this is there in almost no coolant lose, no need to keep adding coolant while it's running. This is one tool worth the money.

Drinkware Automotive tire Ingredient Food Motor vehicle

No that's not Dexcool, it's plain 50/50 with redline water wetter.

So that's the engine done with fresh oil, filter, and coolant.

And was the easy part part of this build.

Stay tuned......

Reactions: Topaz and jkv45

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
What does it take to replace the air box with the pod filter? Air temp sensor and what else?
That's about it in my case, also you'll need a small filter for the crankcase breather tube, and 3/8" barbed brass piece.

K&N Vent Air Filter/ Breather:... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009774GCA?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Freeman Z3838MMBC 3/8-Inch by 3/8-Inch Male to Male Brass Barbed Coupler with Clamps https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FPFMEHM/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_F37PM5EGYA59MF36NHHD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

keep in mind I'm not working on a 300 bike.

K&N Universal Clamp-On Air... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00062YHYM?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I remember looking around here, and found a few threads on the subject.

If you decide you're going to do it, I have another pod filter. It's a knockoff K&N, but I'm sure we can work something out.

HIFROM Replace R-0990 Universal... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JFQVO36?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Reactions: Topaz

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Keep in mind I'm not doing this for performance. I'm doing because I can't use the 300 airbox, do to fitment issues with the battery, etc..

I was thinking about just using the 250 airbox, but this gave me the excuse to go pod 😁

·
Super Moderator
705 Posts
Thanks!

I have a nice shock to mount on the N300, but when I tried to fit it, the air box was in the way, so I was thinking in going pods to make the shock fit, but I haven't been courageous enough to try it yet.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Another Sunday more boring progress,

So now that I decided to go with a pod filter I have two problems, first was the crankcase breather, second was the air temperature sensor.

After looking at both hoses, 98(left) 17(right).

Wood Plumbing fixture Door knocker Gas Font

I decided to go with the 98, it just looked better, and wasn't hanging with unsupported weight.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive fuel system

While this looks better, we shall see how much oil leaks out. In the event that happens I go to the 17 one and zip tie up.

Air temperature sensor mounting location is left to the wiring as I didn't want to cut it, I then used a 1/4" drill bit, then I used a 3/8"drill bit a little so the sensor sits flush.

Rectangle Font Electric blue Gas Auto part

Gas Rim Circle Auto part Automotive wheel system

Automotive tire Rim Gas Home appliance Automotive wheel system

Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Tread Automotive lighting

After that I started mocking up the 300 dash, I also got the plastic too, and started doing some trimming.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Alloy wheel Vehicle

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Fuel tank Motorcycle Vehicle

Used a busted up fairing, didn't want to mess up my nice one.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Looking good!
Yeah, I'm pleased so far, got a lot more to do, boring stuff mostly.

I got the fuel pump situation worked out, then after that it's just putting all the modern electronics into the old school frame which was never meant to have any of that stuff in there.

Also dealing with certain things are not in the same place like the rectifier is not under the tail section in the back like the old 250, it's up under the upper fairing on the 300.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts