Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 300 ex se abs:

So the bike had been siting for about a year and after I jumped it off I noticed smoke and the sweet smell of coolant leaking onto the exhaust. I took the plastic off and traced it down to the bottom of the engine on the left side right under the chain. There seams to be a gap between were it is leaking. I have pictures below, is that the thermostat? and is there supposed to be a gap like that between it and the motor?
3.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I figured it out, its the water pump, and the mechanical seal is leaking. Gona head to the shack tomorrow and see if they got a rebuild kit and a new gasket. The bike only has 1600 miles on it, i would of thought the seals would last longer than that.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My guess would have been the coolant drain bolt, cause from the pic that where it seems to be coming from. Glad you found the problem. I just drained the coolant and went with Engine Ice a week ago.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My guess would have been the coolant drain bolt, cause from the pic that where it seems to be coming from. Glad you found the problem. I just drained the coolant and went with Engine Ice a week ago.
would you happen to know the part number of the gasket to the water pump drain plug? Or did you just reuse the old one? It looks like it's made of metal or something. I think I found it online but I'm not sure if I found the right one.

·
Registered
280 Posts
coolant drain bolt gasket/crush washers are part 11061-0875​

you need 2. 1 for the drain bolt at the water pump and 1 for the drain bolt on the front of the motor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
coolant drain bolt gasket/crush washers are part 11061-0875​

you need 2. 1 for the drain bolt at the water pump and 1 for the drain bolt on the front of the motor.
well it's a good thing you responded cuz I had found the part number but I only ordered one. thanks for the heads up I'm going to order the other one immediately.

·
Registered
280 Posts
yep, there are 2 drain bolts for draining coolant...you want to make sure you open them both.

·
Registered
63 Posts
would you happen to know the part number of the gasket to the water pump drain plug? Or did you just reuse the old one? It looks like it's made of metal or something. I think I found it online but I'm not sure if I found the right one.
I reused the old ones for both the water drain plug and the one in front of the motor. Zero issues and no leaks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts