Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Fast Lane Ukraine
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I have my BRC/MSF course on August 1st, but I have already started to shop for gear and am looking to get at least a helmet and boots right away in advance of the class (don't want to go buy cheap hiking boots only to use them for 2 days or wear a helmet that's been god knows where).

I do have a budget, but for my own safety, I'm not limiting myself to 'entry level' products. I'd rather spent a little more, buy stuff once, than have to upgrade down the road. Not mention, be more comfortable due to higher quality product as well as possibly safer. I like my life lol.

Here is what I am looking at purchasing (I only plan to drive in the warm/dry weather - will watch the forecasts like a hawk):

Helmet: Bell Star Spirit Full Face Helmet - Link
Jacket: Alpinestars GP Plus Perforated Leather Jacket - Link
Jacket Chest Protectors: Alpinestars Bionic Chest Pad Inserts - Link
Jacket Back Protector: Alpinestars Bionic Air Back Protector Insert - Link
Gloves: REV'IT! Chevron Gloves - Link
Jeans: Speed & Strength Rage With The Machine Armored Jeans - Link
Shoes: Alpinestars S-MX 1 Boots - Link

Jacket and boots will be first. I will wear my leather baseball gloves and a jacket I have for my actual class.

I plan to go to a local store to try stuff on to see what sizes fit me best, etc.

Followed by the jacket and gloves when I actually get my bike.

Can anyone chime on the quality of these items, etc.? Thank you! You all have been a GREAT help. I've learned a lot about the bike already and have a plan formulated on what I will do to the bike once I get it, etc.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I only plan to drive in the warm/dry weather - will watch the forecasts like a hawk
Men make plans and the gods laugh.

Sooner or later you will get caught in the rain, regardless of how religiously you scrutinize the weather reports. Carry raingear and learn to ride in wet weather - you'll be glad you did when the rain sneaks up on you, and as an added bonus, you'll extend your riding season.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Here's my take on the topic, as I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, but our MSF is in a couple of weeks...

Your gear selection is top-rated stuff, and you're going to pay a pretty penny...if money's no object, you're good to go....

(I ALSO think you might get more responses if you posed this question in the "New Rider" section - there's a lot of activity over there and people are VERY helpful...might be more people in your similar state and able/willing to contribute...)

If you'd like to SAVE a few bucks - you can check out some of the gear/closeouts at http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/ - I feel, like you do, that I wouldn't want to share someone's toothbrush, so I'm not turning cartwheels at sharing someone's sweaty helmet (even though the class is graciously providing them for our use), so I went with a couple of "starter" helmets for me and my wife....

RevZilla has become a fave of mine, as I appreciate all their instructional product vids and their tone and content, so I spread the love by buying my wife's GMax helmet from them, even though it was a few bucks more than MotorcycleCloseouts' price was...

I, however, went with the Star's less expensive, yet Snell M2010 rated Vortex helmet, with LAST YEAR'S "Grind" graphics in Silver for $99 from MotorcycleCloseouts. They can set you up with the helmet and the uber-cool "Transitions" face shield for about $190 (and you could transfer that face-shield to a Star later, since they use the same template for both helmets).

I've also noticed last year's Alpinestars, Joe Rocket and other mfg'rs leather/hybrid/textile clothing on sale as well and you might be able to save quite a bit by checking them out....

Best of luck with your shopping spree and learning adventures - hope this helps you out! (It's EXPENSIVE to outfit yourself with decent gear!)

·
Fast Lane Ukraine
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Green.

Yeah, RevZilla is one of the best shopping sites I've ever come across. LOADS of videos about their products, etc. and the prices are pretty good (on par with most other places).

I will check out the site you linked and look around. I'm okay with spending a pretty penny if it means it'll save me from costly bills in the future should I ever fall.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
I do have a budget, but for my own safety, I'm not limiting myself to 'entry level' products. I'd rather spent a little more, buy stuff once, than have to upgrade down the road. Not mention, be more comfortable due to higher quality product as well as possibly safer. I like my life lol.
we have a few vendors who i bet can help out with gear

http://www.kawasakininja300.com/forum/32-platinum-site-sponsors-section/

http://www.kawasakininja300.com/forum/33-site-sponsors-section/

have a chat to these guys

·
Registered
490 Posts
Hi folks,

I have my BRC/MSF course on August 1st, but I have already started to shop for gear and am looking to get at least a helmet and boots right away in advance of the class (don't want to go buy cheap hiking boots only to use them for 2 days or wear a helmet that's been god knows where).

Here is what I am looking at purchasing (I only plan to drive in the warm/dry weather - will watch the forecasts like a hawk):

Jacket and boots will be first. I will wear my leather baseball gloves and a jacket I have for my actual class.

I plan to go to a local store to try stuff on to see what sizes fit me best, etc.

Can anyone chime on the quality of these items, etc.? Thank you! You all have been a GREAT help. I've learned a lot about the bike already and have a plan formulated on what I will do to the bike once I get it, etc.
I can't comment on the alpine star gp plus jacket but I've had the gloves for a week and the valcrow is already tearing off of the gloves.they do look sick though.

·
Fast Lane Ukraine
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can't comment on the alpine star gp plus jacket but I've had the gloves for a week and the valcrow is already tearing off of the gloves.they do look sick though.
Hmm...I don't recall this being common. Possibility you just got unlucky? Are you going to exchange them for another set or a completely different glove?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Hmm...I don't recall this being common. Possibility you just got unlucky? Are you going to exchange them for another set or a completely different glove?
I'm doing my riding course tomorrow and actually find it difficult to ride with gloves.just using them for the course and then I'm gonna look at getting another pair that's a bit softer and thinner.it seems to hinder my clutch,brake and throttle control and I'm hoping that another pair will fix it but right now I need this pair.I was thinking of asking someone to try and sew it back on.I does make more sense to take it back though.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Hi folks,

This is probably gonna cause an argument but keep in mind that you are most likely to fall in the learning stages.that could possibly mean having to replace gear.you could buy what people consider the best(the expensive stuff) but its gonna cost you even on a small wipe out.you will have to rebuy at least some stuff.I'm glad you have the safety mentally though...sounds like you to war with all that gear."Gladiators,are you ready?" :p

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I've been buying my stuff from leatherup.com for years never had a problem and the prices were pretty reasonable.
Speaking of rain suits for me that might be a problem I just ordered saddlebags and tailbag cortech 2 from Competition Accessories but I don't think it will be big enough to hold my rainsuit. oh well will worry about that when I finally get the luggage and see what fits where lol

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi folks,

I have the same mindset. I will buy better gear rather than buying bad gear multiple times due to poor craftsmanship/poor holdup in a minor spill. My life/health is worth more than $100 savings.

I don't fit A* stuff, but from what I've gleaned off the internet, they have a really bad entry level line and a really great top level.

Your timing is pretty good. I started with the same progression. If you haven't set yourself to the A* jacket, I recommend the RS Taichi. CE level protection on shoulders, elbows/forearms, and back right off the bat. Top notch construction.

I currently ride with Rev'it SLR gloves, but the design looks very similar. I like my gloves, but I will eventually upgrade. I tried on a buddy's Helimot gloves and another buddy's Held Phantom gloves. Both offered much more tactile feel and felt a hellov a lot nicer. SLR's were a great 2nd pair of gloves for me.

My buddy loves the A* shoes. I have a full race boot, but it gets tiring to put on/take off sometimes. If I were to buy booties, I'd go with the A* or the RS Taichi Boa.

Good luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts