Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
First off, :waveysmilie: whats up! Im a completely new to this side and a new rider as well.

Anyway, I plan to buy my very first motorcycle tomorrow or the day after. Its a 2013 ninja 300 with 8k miles on it for $3500.

Only problem is, I live in California and the Ninja is owned and registered in Nevada. I know NOTHING about transferring ownership or changing out of state plates :confused: . All i know is the owner has the clean title on hand. I have read and read several different articles here and pages on the DMV website, but i feel im just getting even more lost :emot-bang: .

I read that i need the certificate of title, a bill of sale, an odometer mileage disclosure, a smog certification, a california emission certification, and i dont know what else :( ! I just need someone to help me clear things out on what i need to do. And also how much this will cost me! I've been hearing some pretty expensive scary numbers.

Thank you!

·
Registered
68 Posts
You may want to make a preliminary visit to the DMV to ensure that you have your documents in order before you actually get in line. But, you should be fine since the bike has over 7,500 miles. From what I've read, you can't register a used bike in CA with less than 7,500 miles if it doesn't have a CA emissions certification.

This link: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/about/2011mc_reg.htm should help you out. According to the information provided, a smog check is not required for a motorcycle. They'll give you the appropriate forms to fill out at the DMV but be sure to take any documents that you think may be necessary to complete the registration process in one visit.

Good luck!

*I did register a car I bought in Vegas here in CA and it was a fairly painless process. The DMV folks were so helpful that they advised me to check my "date of arrival" in CA to avoid a late registration fine. :biggrin: I also got my old CA driver's license number back after having a Nevada driver's license for roughly 3 years.

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
Most likely, the previous owner will need to take it off the road and return those plates to his DMV. I'm assuming you plan to tow it back via other means than riding it. Just bring it to Cali and register it there. You just go to DMV and fill out the forms, pay the fee and you'll get a new plate. As far as registration, I'm not sure if you'll get a temp and then receive the main one in the mail but that's how it usually works. As far as the title, if everything is good, just have him sign it over.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
First off, :waveysmilie: whats up! Im a completely new to this side and a new rider as well.

Anyway, I plan to buy my very first motorcycle tomorrow or the day after. Its a 2013 ninja 300 with 8k miles on it for $3500.

Only problem is, I live in California and the Ninja is owned and registered in Nevada. I know NOTHING about transferring ownership or changing out of state plates :confused: . All i know is the owner has the clean title on hand. I have read and read several different articles here and pages on the DMV website, but i feel im just getting even more lost :emot-bang: .

I read that i need the certificate of title, a bill of sale, an odometer mileage disclosure, a smog certification, a california emission certification, and i dont know what else :( ! I just need someone to help me clear things out on what i need to do. And also how much this will cost me! I've been hearing some pretty expensive scary numbers.

Thank you!
The odometer disclosure should be on the title. If it's not, then you have to use the listed California form. I'd print it out and bring with you just in case because the seller will have to sign it.

Title is the title. Make sure their are no liens on it. There should be a block for lien holders. If there is one, it needs to be released prior to the sale, aka - they need to pay the bank. Also, need a lien release form.

Bill of Sale can just be a printed sheet of paper signed by both parties. However signed title should suffice.

From their website: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr9.htm

What Do I Need to Register My Nonresident Vehicle?

• An Application for Title or Registration (REG 343) form (PDF) signed by all registered owners shown on the out–of–state registration or title. Complete both sides of the REG 343 available at www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg343.pdf.
  • The last issued out–of–state title (not required when there is no change of registered owner). However, when an out–of–state title is not surrendered to DMV the California registration card is marked “Nontransferable” and a California title is not issued.
  • The last issued out–of–state registration certificate or renewal notice for the current year, or a letter, fax, or wire from the last registration jurisdiction verifying the registered owners name(s) and the vehicle’s last registration expiration date.
  • A Verification of Vehicle (REG 31) form (PDF) completed by an authorized DMV employee, law enforcement officer, or licensed vehicle verifier (no charge for vehicle verification at DMV offices). The REG 31 is available at www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg31.pdf.
When Do I Have to Pay Fees to Register My Nonresident Vehicle?

Registration fees for your nonresident vehicle must be paid to DMV within 20 days of the date they become due. The date that registration fees become due varies. For date fees due, residency, and exemption information, see the How To: Determine Residency/When Are Fees Due on an Out–of–State Vehicles (HTVR 33) brochure available at www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures /howto/htvr33.htm.
Note: To avoid penalties, submit your registration application and fees on time, even if you do not have all the requirements (title, smog, etc.) needed to register the vehicle in California.
What Fees Are Due?

The amount of fees due depends on a variety of factors. For an estimate, use the fee calculator at www.dmv.ca.gov/FeeCalculatorWeb/newResidentForm.do. An exact amount can only be calculated when you submit your registration application to DMV.
How Do I Change Ownership?

You will need:

• The last issued out–of–state title signed for release by the seller(s) and legal owner(s) (if any). The legal owner’s release of interest may also be done on a notarized Lien Satisfied/Legal Owner/Title Holder Release (REG 166) form(PDF), available at www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg166.pdf.
  • A Vehicle/Vessel Transfer and Reassignment Form (REG 262), if the person from whom you are buying the vehicle is not the registered owner shown on the out–of–state title. The REG 262 is not available online. To obtain a REG 262, call 1–800–777–0133 or visit a DMV office.
  • An odometer disclosure on the title or a REG 262 signed by the seller and buyer, if the motor vehicle is less than 10 model years old.
How Do I Request A Duplicate Out–of–State Title?

If the out–of–state title has been lost, stolen, or destroyed, and you are changing ownership or wish to have a California title issued, a duplicate must be obtained from the state that issued the title. Out–of–state DMV addresses are available at www.dmv.ca.gov/vehindustry/otherdmvs.htmor by phone at 1–800–777–0133.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.