Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey folks,

I'm stumped by the online service manual and exploded parts diagrams.

Bike developed some minor coolant dripping out of the water pump weep hole. No big deal, ordered a new mechanical seal and associated gaskets/seals.

However, I think I missed a seal in my purchase, and I can't seem to find the seal on the exploded parts diagram. Everyone online says when you have any kind of water pump leak, just replace all the seals since you're in there. Sounds great to me. The exploded parts diagram shows that I will need:

11061-0795 pump cover gasket
49063-1055 actual mechanical seal set, for impeller and pump housing
92055-0736 pump housing O-ring (not required but good practice)
13107-0742 water pump driving shaft (just replacing due to mileage anyway)

That is all it shows. Now it's come to my attention that of course, there is an "oil seal" that resides behind the mechanical seal. I have my water pump off the bike, and I can see the oil seal inside the pump housing. There is also a bearing that the pump shaft rides in, on the pump housing. Neither of these parts are listed on the water pump blown up diagram. I can't seem to find them. The bearing I don't need to replace, but the oil seal I do. I can see the pump shaft has deteriorated in the area the oil seal rides on.

All this to say, I can't find the "oil seal" part number to buy it. Now I did look on other exploded parts pages, and found on the "crankcase" page, an "oil seal" that goes in (or around?) the water pump hole on the crankcase. P/N 92049-0731. However, this seal is 32x52x10mm, which is literally larger than the whole pump mounting hole, and the diagram shows this part.... inside the crankcase? Probably not the right part....
EDIT: Looks like the water pump main housing actually doesn't even have a part number on the diagram. What the heck? I have to buy a whole new pump if this rubber seal wears out? Man that would be lame...

Anyone willing to help me dig through the exploded parts pages and find this oil seal for the water pump?
Thanks folks, any help is really appreciated!

-Mike

· Registered
406 Posts
Sparky, now you have me thinking...my water pump has been seeping for a while from all around it, not the weep hole. I went cheap and just ordered the cover gasket, thinking that would solve it but as you said, while it's open, may as well go ahead and replace all you can. Waiting on the part at my Honda dealer.

Regarding the oil seal..I don't see it on the diagram, either, but don't most oil seals have their size listed on the seal
itself? (so you can source a generic one)

Product Font Line Parallel Technology

· Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would hope it would have a number on it, but I would hate to get in there, find some random number on the part, try and source it based on that number, and get the wrong thing. I get the impression that the seal is kinda unique, and not generic like a ball bearing or O ring.

I ate my losses and just bought the whole pump assembly, and cancelled my orders for the components. For a water pump having lasted over 50,000 miles, I figured it would also just be better to fully replace the unit, and keep my current parts as spares or sell online.

Kinda mad they treat the water pump oil seal like crankcase halves or frames, e.g. not selling those standalone parts at all for one reason or another. I'm sure the oil seal has a part number, but sucks that it's not readily available to purchase. Maybe they really do believe that you should just get a new pump if you wear that seal out though.

Oh well. Waiting on my pump to arrive now... Lol.

-Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.