Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey,

I want to say, that I have lurked these forums and other motorcycle forums for a LONG time. Finally, after tons of research and what not, I plan on getting a Ninja 300r in White! I was planning on getting the 250r for a long time, luckily they increased the cc's about the perfect time.

Quick background: I am 18 living in Southern California and will be turning 19 soon, I can not wait to learn to ride (have dirt biked, and been on ATV's).

I need your guys advice/opinions though...

First, let me lay out some "prerequisite background information"?

1) In more of our modern day world, it is extremely difficult for someone in my generation to afford to buy a house sooner in life off of a one person income. It's pretty much a necessity for a two person income in order to get a house anymore and sustain the house let alone a decent life.

1a)So with that in mind, how can someone get ahead in life early on? The basics are to get a job, save money, and don't spend frivolously. Other then that what else.... I for one believe in investing into the stock market as a way of getting ahead early in this life I live.

1b) If I follow the basics (get a job, save and spend smart) then I will get marginally ahead, although I need something more then this. In our generation more and more kids are staying at home until they can move out around ages 24+, because of several reasons due to the economy and what not. (I have a job and spend smart.)

Now getting into my dilemma...

2) I have a passion which I have held for 10 years or so regarding owning and riding a motorcycle. I have justified this, even after weighing A LOT of the negatives and positives (over several years), yet I have come to the conclusion for my own benefit this would be more of a positive. Reasons which are for my own mental, physical, and economical benefits.

2a) Now I have a plan in which I possibly could sell the car I am currently driving and buy a motorcycle, and use the EXTRA money to invest into the stock market. I already have some decent amount of funds in the stock market and by putting more into it, this has a potential to increase my dividends and returns per year. So when I finally do need a house of my own, I will be able to provide and be better off for myself and my own future.

The Dilemma...

3) I have talked this over with my 'parental units' who I live with, and the moment I say the word motorcycle, I get an instant "wall up, no no no no no this this this this bad bad bad you will die." End of story. I have tried talking this over and reason that it can be safe with the proper use of wearing motorcycle gear, and following the rules of the road, as well as taking a MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation Course). I have listed many benefits and have even acknowledged the negatives for the sake of argument. As well as express my rebuttal on what I will do to ensure I am proactive and practice safe tactics every time I ride. Also explicitly state that the examples they use, are of people who act stupidly and wear no protection and have no regard for other people on the road.

3a) This has led to the ultimate doctrine in which, If I live under their house, I will never own a motorcycle. If I do, I can no longer live there, ultimately kicking me out of the house, which is ridiculous. For example: I brought up this conversation; I said, "What are some things that would cause you to kick someone out of a house?". The reply was, "If someone was doing drugs, or stole stuff/involved in criminal activity, alcohol abuse...etc." I then said, "So, basically more extreme things would be a reason to boot someone from the house." I then followed up with, "Well if I get a motorcycle then you will kick me out?" They said, "Yes". Then I was like well if I get a motorcycle basically your telling me that it's so extreme it's as if I was doing drugs or something and then they said no. But I would still get kicked out, over something that I feel should be talked about and shown some sort of support or tolerance for. Ridiculous in my view. If I do move out, I also get cut off from healthcare, and other expenses that I was not paying for personally.

3b) So, If I do move out I will be able to be independent and have my own choices to make. Yet, because of this economic situation in which we live in there is NO way I can support myself without some sort of roommate(s) and or support.

3c) I understand that there is this thing we like to call, "Their house their rules". Does that justify that someone can express there doctrine or rules so dogmatic over someone else who is more or less in a "FIXED" situation. It's as if external and internal forces are restraining my options in which its very oppressing. Where is the tolerance and or at least "trial or attempt to WORK with the situation."

Regarding the sport bike...

4) I do not plan to be crazy, rebellious, stupid, and or unsafe while riding. I accept and understand all risk and liabilities that are associated to my passion. I am not going to get a large displacement bike that potentially would increase my risk EXPONENTIALLY. I will wear gear, take safety courses, and learn to ride on a small displacement bike that will not be to much for my skill level.

Regardless I will eventually get a sport bike.

Advice, comments, feedback???

P.S: Sorry for the long read!

·
Registered
993 Posts
Tell them if they do not "allow" you to purchase the responsable "gas saving mode of transportation" (over a years time you could save money in gas and insurance, to put away for your future) you will just have to join the military, which will pay you, support you medically, house you and feed you all while you still will be able to ride your new vehicle.
Heh...well, I didn't say it would be easy... besides, I did it for 24yrs and now they pay me for my previous service, gotta love this country.
Parents will be parents, but legally at 18 you are an adult and can make your own decisions, if you purchase your new ride and they disagree with it, will they really kick you out? If so, it is thier house.....they earned it...sounds like you need to find an apartment and a couple of "financially responsible friends", I did that for a year before I joined the military.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Either respect your parents, or move to Arizona. It's cheaper haha

·
Registered
801 Posts
Maybe take them along to the msf course and tell them you won't get a bike without their permission but could they please consider doing the course with you!
Also what are your chances of starting with a track bike and letting them know you will be under controlled coditions and not on the street! Then they may come around in the future!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
You sound like me 5 years ago. I had always wanted a motorcycle, but my parents were against it. I was also very good with my money. So I ended up settling on living at home and getting a good job. Managed to save enough to buy a new car and pay it off in 5 months. Then I saved like a mad man to put a down payment on a condo. Had next to no social life for a while, but the parents were retiring and I didn't want to waste money on rent. Moved out at 25 and bought my own place, and then started saving for the bike. 8 Months later and I'll be buying the bike in full next month.

So yea, however much you want the bike, it may be in your better interest to just wait a while longer so you can actually get ahead before going for the dream machine. Having to move out before your ready won't get you ahead.

·
Banned
1,037 Posts
Hey,

I want to say, that I have lurked these forums and other motorcycle forums for a LONG time. Finally, after tons of research and what not, I plan on getting a Ninja 300r in White! I was planning on getting the 250r for a long time, luckily they increased the cc's about the perfect time.

Quick background: I am 18 living in Southern California and will be turning 19 soon, I can not wait to learn to ride (have dirt biked, and been on ATV's).

First, let me lay out some "prerequisite background information"?

1) In more of our modern day world, it is extremely difficult for someone in my generation to afford to buy a house sooner in life off of a one person income. It's pretty much a necessity for a two person income in order to get a house anymore and sustain the house let alone a decent life.

1a)So with that in mind, how can someone get ahead in life early on? The basics are to get a job, save money, and don't spend frivolously. Other then that what else.... I for one believe in investing into the stock market as a way of getting ahead early in this life I live.

1b) If I follow the basics (get a job, save and spend smart) then I will get marginally ahead, although I need something more then this. In our generation more and more kids are staying at home until they can move out around ages 24+, because of several reasons due to the economy and what not. (I have a job and spend smart.)

Now getting into my dilemma...

2) I have a passion which I have held for 10 years or so regarding owning and riding a motorcycle. I have justified this, even after weighing A LOT of the negatives and positives (over several years), yet I have come to the conclusion for my own benefit this would be more of a positive. Reasons which are for my own mental, physical, and economical benefits.

2a) Now I have a plan in which I possibly could sell the car I am currently driving and buy a motorcycle, and use the EXTRA money to invest into the stock market. I already have some decent amount of funds in the stock market and by putting more into it, this has a potential to increase my dividends and returns per year. So when I finally do need a house of my own, I will be able to provide and be better off for myself and my own future.

The Dilemma...

3) I have talked this over with my 'parental units' who I live with, and the moment I say the word motorcycle, I get an instant "wall up, no no no no no this this this this bad bad bad you will die." End of story. I have tried talking this over and reason that it can be safe with the proper use of wearing motorcycle gear, and following the rules of the road, as well as taking a MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation Course). I have listed many benefits and have even acknowledged the negatives for the sake of argument. As well as express my rebuttal on what I will do to ensure I am proactive and practice safe tactics every time I ride. Also explicitly state that the examples they use, are of people who act stupidly and wear no protection and have no regard for other people on the road.

3a) This has led to the ultimate doctrine in which, If I live under their house, I will never own a motorcycle. If I do, I can no longer live there, ultimately kicking me out of the house, which is ridiculous. For example: I brought up this conversation; I said, "What are some things that would cause you to kick someone out of a house?". The reply was, "If someone was doing drugs, or stole stuff/involved in criminal activity, alcohol abuse...etc." I then said, "So, basically more extreme things would be a reason to boot someone from the house." I then followed up with, "Well if I get a motorcycle then you will kick me out?" They said, "Yes". Then I was like well if I get a motorcycle basically your telling me that it's so extreme it's as if I was doing drugs or something and then they said no. But I would still get kicked out, over something that I feel should be talked about and shown some sort of support or tolerance for. Ridiculous in my view. If I do move out, I also get cut off from healthcare, and other expenses that I was not paying for personally.

3b) So, If I do move out I will be able to be independent and have my own choices to make. Yet, because of this economic situation in which we live in there is NO way I can support myself without some sort of roommate(s) and or support.

3c) I understand that there is this thing we like to call, "Their house their rules". Does that justify that someone can express there doctrine or rules so dogmatic over someone else who is more or less in a "FIXED" situation. It's as if external and internal forces are restraining my options in which its very oppressing. Where is the tolerance and or at least "trial or attempt to WORK with the situation."

Regarding the sport bike...

4) I do not plan to be crazy, rebellious, stupid, and or unsafe while riding. I accept and understand all risk and liabilities that are associated to my passion. I am not going to get a large displacement bike that potentially would increase my risk EXPONENTIALLY. I will wear gear, take safety courses, and learn to ride on a small displacement bike that will not be to much for my skill level.

Regardless I will eventually get a sport bike.

Advice, comments, feedback???

P.S: Sorry for the long read!
Id say move out move to a different state that is a lot less to live in and get a bike. Hey my dad was killed in front of me my mom and sister on a motorcycle yet I still ride. Id say get it with the plan of them kicking you out.

·
Banned
1,037 Posts
Also you are not stuck living with them you just don't want to move out and spend a bunch more money so I think they are in the right. Also its not about the cc of the bike you can kill your self on a 300 the same as a 1000 if you can not control your self.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Your sorta stuck bro. The decision has been made. It's the bike or place to live for free. And you already said you can't afford to live on your own yet sooo....

It sounds like you've got a good head on your shoulders financially. Careful with the stock market, anyone with a 401k can tell you that. It may be great at your age to use as an early investment tool but expecting to be able to put a down payment on a house with it in the next 5 years is a stretch. In the meantime get a credit card and only use it to pay some bills and then pay it directly off every month. This will help you get what you want later, bad/no/young credit is a slippery slope and its much better to be at the top of it when it comes to everything from getting lower interest rates on loans/mortgage to getting accepted for a rental property etc.

Save your money to get into an apartment/house with friends or solo. Then you can do whatever the fuck you want all the time. its that simple.

You're hella young so as long as you keep plugging away at whatever it is you do you will begin to make more money as you get older and things will start to fall into place.

good luck

·
Registered
349 Posts
Your sorta stuck bro. The decision has been made. It's the bike or place to live for free. And you already said you can't afford to live on your own yet sooo....

It sounds like you've got a good head on your shoulders financially. Careful with the stock market, anyone with a 401k can tell you that. It may be great at your age to use as an early investment tool but expecting to be able to put a down payment on a house with it in the next 5 years is a stretch. In the meantime get a credit card and only use it to pay some bills and then pay it directly off every month. This will help you get what you want later, bad/no/young credit is a slippery slope and its much better to be at the top of it when it comes to everything from getting lower interest rates on loans/mortgage to getting accepted for a rental property etc.

Save your money to get into an apartment/house with friends or solo. Then you can do whatever the fuck you want all the time. its that simple.

You're hella young so as long as you keep plugging away at whatever it is you do you will begin to make more money as you get older and things will start to fall into place.

good luck
Good advice right here!

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts

been there done that with my parents.over 20 years ago. i have no doubt deep down your parents love you dearly and are doing their best to protect you from what see is potential harm to their son who they have invested a lot of time and money and love in to for many years.

when i was your age, i didnt get it either.

now im a dad and my eldest is almost your age, i do get it.

however

when i was 20, my g/f and i got a unit together and i got my first roadbike, lol

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
1. You don't make enough money.
2. Don't sell your cage for a bike, terrible idea. You will regret it.
3. Want to save money early on, live at home with your parents.
4. Stock market is a very dangerous place to rely on, but I do have a 401k and it hasn't moved n a year.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
215 Posts
You are young and have plenty of time to ride bikes. I think that waiting is your best option at this point. You are lucky enough to live rent free and that gives you a chance to get ahead, appreciate that. Just wait your time out, when you are ready in life move out and after awhile treat yourself to the purchase of a new motorcycle.

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
I'll give my honest opinions on your matter. They may come across as asshole like, but it's because I am just a straight up guy with everything.

1) I am 25 years old, I have owned a house for a year, have 2 cars, a motorcycle, a dog, and........ A CHILD. I pay for pretty much everything. While it would be extremely hard without my spouse, I could do it, because she is the future STEP mother of my child. So I have been on my own, in an apartment with a child and still made it just fine.

1a) Get your ass in gear and work your ass off. I had a number of jobs, joined the military, did my time, got medical discharge (couldn't walk), after I fixed myself up I got a job at 711 (horrible) and from there I busted my ass and got noticed by a couple customers who were branch managers for a security industry. Now I make so much more money than I did in the military.

1b) I moved out of my parents house at the age of 19 with the help of the military. I had my own apartment after getting out at 22 years old. I bought my house right before I turned 25. Work your ass off, stop making excuses. I had two jobs and went to college.

2) Motorcycling is one of my outlets and has enriched my life, along with my lovelife.

2a) I wouldn't get rid of a car for a motorcycle, but that's me and the location I live in. I can't cause I have a kid and you just don't put a 2 year old on a motorcycle (if you do you should be...... i'll leave that alone.)

3) You sound like my buddy who has been going to college for 7 years and doesn't yet have a degree. His parents are rich, he's an only child, and he believes he knows what is best for him and that his parents should do as he wants. Listen to your parents. Also, it doesn't matter how "safe" of a rider you are. What matters is how stupid the other people are on the road. You just have to do your best to react to every situation and stay vigilant. You can wear all the gear, practice all the moves, and still have someone slam into you at a red light or intersection. It just happens man.

3a) I wasn't allowed to own a motorcycle under my parents roof either. My step-dad was almost killed on his bike so my mother forbid it. I was pissed and said whatever but respected their rules. Now that I have my own place, I was able to get my bike. Because of that fear, my parents have gone FAR BEYOND anything I could ask for and bought me 2 pairs of $100 gloves, safety vest, a milspec icon backpack, and even offered jackets and pants and everything else. Respecting their wishes paid off in the end.

3b) Honestly, depending on your age, you may want to think about other priorities with your money first. But to each their own.

3c) You live under their roof. If you were a non-smoker, your parents were smokers, and your parents came to your house... would you allow them to smoke in your house? I don't. My parents respect the rules of my house, and I don't visit theirs very often. They can exercise any rules they want over you and kick you out just because they don't like the way your hair is. You are an adult and they can kick you out giving you a reasonable amount of time to remove your items. My sister and uncle have been kicked out of my parents house and the law supported them on it (This is Virginia, so it's a commonwealth and may have MUCH different laws than your state.)

4) That is a good plan, and the same plan I had.

Please don't take offense to MY OPINION. This is what I believe works, and why I am successful with my life and my friends... well they all live together and with their parents still. Don't take any of my comments personally. I have helped 3 of my employees with their financial issues, even my girlfriend, just through helping them LOOK at their finances and what they were doing wrong. Your problem is finances first, rules second. The ONLY reason your parents rules affect you is because you can't afford to move out. Get your life together before making big life decisions like riding a motorcycle.

Whatever you decide, PLEASE respect your parents. No matter how annoying or "unfair," there are reasons they don't want their child to risk their life.

My ONE rebellious thing I did to my parents and learned my lesson the very hard way was them telling me not to join the Army and definitely don't do infantry. My whole family is Navy... everyone (grandparents, cousins, parents, etc.) Well that bit me in the ass and now I can't do skateboarding / bmxing / free running / exercise like crazy/etc. Guess who took care of me after I couldn't walk anymore? My parents. My mother was down to Ft Bragg by my side while I was unconscious for a week and visiting me almost daily to see how I was progressing.

Stay safe man. You have PLENTY of years left in your life to get a motorcycle. No reason to rush.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts