Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, so I have a question. I usually never ride with anyone on my bike because I had it lowered. Well this weekend my husband's bike stopped working and so we had to leave it at the person's house where it broke down at. so my husband drove my bike and I hopped on the back. Turns out when we got to our hotel my tire had burned through my undertail kit and burned through the plastic. There is a big whole shaped like my tire now. Is there anyway I can fix this temporarily until I get the new part? I tried to use zip ties to hold the box that's by the hole but the tire burned that too. Is my suspension permanently loser now too? as in will my bike go lower now because we added extra weight? I was thinking of ordering the hot body under tail kit for my bike. Has anyone ordered one yet or have pictures?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hi, so I have a question. I usually never ride with anyone on my bike because I had it lowered. Well this weekend my husband's bike stopped working and so we had to leave it at the person's house where it broke down at. so my husband drove my bike and I hopped on the back. Turns out when we got to our hotel my tire had burned through my undertail kit and burned through the plastic. There is a big whole shaped like my tire now. Is there anyway I can fix this temporarily until I get the new part? I tried to use zip ties to hold the box that's by the hole but the tire burned that too. Is my suspension permanently loser now too? as in will my bike go lower now because we added extra weight? I was thinking of ordering the hot body under tail kit for my bike. Has anyone ordered one yet or have pictures?
You can order a new part or if your feeling adventurous just plastic weld the thing...of course with the price you pay in materials and equipment you could probably buy a new part. me...i like to play with fiberglass and will fiberglass anything i can just for fun...i would just fiberglass the hole...prime it...sand it down and paint it...but thats just me..suppose you could also try bondo depending on the size of the hole.

·
Registered
330 Posts
It's a pretty big whole. you can even see the part got burned a little :confused:
wow that is a pretty big hole..this is what i would do if you wanted to go the fiberglass route Clean the plastic really good with dish detergent, then scuff the edges up with sand paper. Then get some plastic epoxy adhesive and brush a medium coat over the edges of the hole. Then, while still wet, lay a layer of fiberglass cloth, let the plastic epoxy soak overnight, then brush fiberglass resin to create a layer of fiberglass that more layers of fiberglass and resin will stick to.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Hmmmm not sure this would be a warranty issue, the fault lies unfortunately not with Kawasaki on this one. And they do reference making sure to adjust suspension for when riding two up. Plus the bike has been lowered so its not any manufacturing default or oddity, the bike was simply overloaded on the current suspension.

That is a decent hole too. You could always get a piece of plastic, cut to shape and drill/rivet on to cover the hole, with some sealant of sorts around the edge to stop any water/dirt. Wouldnt look the best though......maestro's fibreglass job would look more professional for sure. This undertail part would be relatively cheap from Kawasaki I would say too, it is pretty cheapo thin stuff and is just raw not painted so I wouldnt imagine a huge pricetag.

Do you mind if I ask the combined weight of yourself and your husband for reference?

On another note the hotbodies undertail has been installed by a member here on the forum, for your convenience details are here:

http://www.kawasakininja300.com/for...ons/2296-hotbodies-undertail-rear-hugger.html

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wow that is a pretty big hole..this is what i would do if you wanted to go the fiberglass route Clean the plastic really good with dish detergent, then scuff the edges up with sand paper. Then get some plastic epoxy adhesive and brush a medium coat over the edges of the hole. Then, while still wet, lay a layer of fiberglass cloth, let the plastic epoxy soak overnight, then brush fiberglass resin to create a layer of fiberglass that more layers of fiberglass and resin will stick to.
hmm... I might make it worse trying to fix it lol. I'm TDY right now in arizona so I don't where anything is around here. And i'm never worked on a bike before. I'm very new to this. :(

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmmmm not sure this would be a warranty issue, the fault lies unfortunately not with Kawasaki on this one. And they do reference making sure to adjust suspension for when riding two up. Plus the bike has been lowered so its not any manufacturing default or oddity, the bike was simply overloaded on the current suspension.

Do you mind if I ask the combined weight of yourself and your husband?

On another note the hotbodies undertail has been installed by a member here on the forum, for your convenience details are here:

http://www.kawasakininja300.com/for...ons/2296-hotbodies-undertail-rear-hugger.html

Nope, not at all. My husband weighs 160 and I weigh 94 lbs so 254 together.

Thank you, I'll check it out

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Putting the rear suspension on a higher setting doesn't raise the bike. It stiffens the suspension so it won't sink so much. I'm 4'11", I understand your pains.
:confused: OH! I get it, still new to this all. But i'm learning. lol Well I may have to try that then. Thanks! :) and now I know there is another person as small as me because everyone told me I should've gotten a cruiser -_- because i'm so short! ugh. But I wanted the 300 and so I got it. it's a pain to be so small though.

·
Registered
330 Posts
hmm... I might make it worse trying to fix it lol. I'm TDY right now in arizona so I don't where anything is around here. And i'm never worked on a bike before. I'm very new to this. :(
Ahhh I see are you there for training? Maybe the base your on has some sort of hobby shop or auto shop. I'm sure someone there would be able to help you out...fiberglass and resin is fairly cheap and can be purchased at any autozone type shop...if I was there I'd help you out cause I love these diy projects...If you decide to try it out let me know and I'd be happy to try and walk you through it.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Nope, not at all. My husband weighs 160 and I weigh 94 lbs so 254 together.

Thank you, I'll check it out
Not much at all, sorry if I made you post any "personal" details you didnt want to share!!! ;)

I would also suggest what tfkrocks has and ensure your suspension is on a stiffer setting to deal with the lowered ride height, especially in the case of two up but sometimes as in your case for this mishap, sometimes you just dont know that you are about to ride two up, it just sorta happens.

Good luck!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ahhh I see are you there for training? Maybe the base your on has some sort of hobby shop or auto shop. I'm sure someone there would be able to help you out...fiberglass and resin is fairly cheap and can be purchased at any autozone type shop...if I was there I'd help you out cause I love these diy projects...If you decide to try it out let me know and I'd be happy to try and walk you through it.
Yeah, I'm here for a transition course. I was here 3 years ago but my MOS merged with another one so we all have to come back and get the NEW "same" merged training. I'm on week 6 and it's 10 weeks long. So I may have to give it a shot. I just don't want to ruin that part that sitting right over the hole. So I may have to disconnect it and take it out to be sure. I'll ask around and see what I can dig up. Thanks maestro lol (funny how that means teacher) lol perfect fit. anywho. If I do decide to do it, I'll let you know thanks alot. :)

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
:confused: OH! I get it, still new to this all. But i'm learning. lol Well I may have to try that then. Thanks! :) and now I know there is another person as small as me because everyone told me I should've gotten a cruiser -_- because i'm so short! ugh. But I wanted the 300 and so I got it. it's a pain to be so small though.
Actually after becoming more comfortable with the bike, I kinda want to raise my bike back up at least an inch (was lowered 2"). Yeah it would be slightly more inconvenient when stopping but stopping on one leg isn't that bad. Hell, even though I can at least toe on both feet, I usually stop with one leg anyway.

Other than cost, the height factor is why I'm not too interested in getting a supersport bike. It just doesn't seem practical you know?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not much at all, sorry if I made you post any "personal" details you didnt want to share!!! ;)

I would also suggest what tfkrocks has and ensure your suspension is on a stiffer setting to deal with the lowered ride height, especially in the case of two up but sometimes as in your case for this mishap, sometimes you just dont know that you are about to ride two up, it just sorta happens.

Good luck!
Yeah I know, it was barely any weight. And now when I ride alone I feel it hitting. So i'm wondering if the suspension got loose.

Oh no, no worries I don't mind i'm short and light it happens :)

And ok, will do. I'm going to have to look up how to do that or take it into a shop because i've never done that before.

Thank you!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Actually after becoming more comfortable with the bike, I kinda want to raise my bike back up at least an inch (was lowered 2"). Yeah it would be slightly more inconvenient when stopping but stopping on one leg isn't that bad. Hell, even though I can at least toe on both feet, I usually stop with one leg anyway.

Other than cost, the height factor is why I'm not too interested in getting a supersport bike. It just doesn't seem practical you know?
Yours was lowered 2" geez mine was lowered 5"!!! lol. your legs must be longer with a shorter torso. I have a longer torso then my legs I think. I can't put both my feet flat on the ground. I only get up to the mid of my feet or I can flat foot one foot.

And yeah I understand. The height factor for me was easier when I rode a Rebel (cruiser) so much easier. it was naturally lower to the ground.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.