Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone hope your all safe and sound wherever in the world you are! Im new to the bike world and fell in love with bikes on a trip to Asia pre Covid. Got myself a ninja 300 ABS to begin my journey. And I’m loving every second of it!!
She’s got 22000kms on her and is a fresh import. It’s not easy finding good beginner bikes where I live but I waited and boy has it been worth it. Slowly learning to look after my ninja and soon it’s due for a service at 24k. Have so many questions and advice that I would highly appreciate anything I get from the members. Looking forward to meeting the ninja clan on here !
Cheers
I’ll upload some snaps of my bike

Attachments

·
Registered
548 Posts
Hello, and welcome to the forum!
Bike looks to be in VERY good condition! 👍
Did you import the bike yourself? If so, from where, Australia?

There's a lot of info on this site dealing with maintenance, and some very helpful members. Since the Ninja 400 'took over' the 300 in some parts of the world, this forum isn't as active as when the 300 first came out, so keep that in mind!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Welcome!

Bike looks great!

Don't follow the 24k miles due line religiously. Specially if you don't know how it's been maintained before.
I would change the engine oil and filter right away. And then check the other basics myself. Coolant, brake fluids, brake pads, chain lube and tension.
Clean the air filter.
You can also pour a bottle of fuel system cleaner in your next tank fill. Pay attention to the proportions. It's usually 1fl oz of cleaner per gallon of gas.
Check the torque on the wheels and brake calipers.

Tires look good!

Enjoy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi thank you ! I got the bike from a private dealer here. They’re one of the few who do get bikes into the country. I had the VIN cross checked with Queensland authorities (Australia) where it came from. It’s a clean bike so I’m happy. And thank you for the heads up and I’m so happy that people are still using this forum. It will be a HUGE help for me !

There's a lot of info on this site dealing with maintenance, and some very helpful members. Since the Ninja 400 'took over' the 300 in some parts of the world, this forum isn't as active as when the 300 first came out, so keep that in mind!

[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you @Topaz ! The dealer did an initial full service about 1000kms ago. But I will be checking on the fluids etc again very soon. I’ve been cleaning the chain and lubing it too. Just got a bike stand as well! Sadly it’s a bit hard to get Motul fluids here however I did manage to get some Penrite chain lube (synthetic) it seems to be decent. I’ll probably be using their oils as well unless you have a better recommendation of something I can hopefully get here haha!
Will definitely get the fuel cleaner thanks!!

Welcome!

Bike looks great!

Don't follow the 24k miles due line religiously. Specially if you don't know how it's been maintained before.
I would change the engine oil and filter right away. And then check the other basics myself. Coolant, brake fluids, brake pads, chain lube and tension.
Clean the air filter.
You can also pour a bottle of fuel system cleaner in your next tank fill. Pay attention to the proportions. It's usually 1fl oz of cleaner per gallon of gas.
Check the torque on the wheels and brake calipers.

Tires look good!

Enjoy.
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
286 Posts
good looking bike, it does look like it's in very nice shape.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks @iahawk ! Always loved black. Got pretty lucky the bike came with the rear seat cowl, Oggy knobs and the Yoshi slip on. Managed to spend that $$ on food quality gear !

good looking bike, it does look like it's in very nice shape.

·
Registered
548 Posts
But I will be checking on the fluids etc again very soon. I’ve been cleaning the chain and lubing it too. Just got a bike stand as well! Sadly it’s a bit hard to get Motul fluids here however I did manage to get some Penrite chain lube (synthetic) it seems to be decent. I’ll probably be using their oils as well unless you have a better recommendation of something I can hopefully get here haha!
All good suggestions by 'Topaz'!

Regarding chain lube: I just use a good gear oil (heavy and thick....I think it's 140 weight) for my chain. Seems to do okay. If your roads are very dusty (which they probably are), gear oil does tend to attract dust. I am sure the chain lube you have will do a good job!
Here's a YouTube video delving into chain lube comparisons (although you shouldn't use that as an authoritative guide; FortNine in my opinion is more gimmicky than scientific):

As far as engine oil is concerned; there's a quite a few threads on this forum (and others), and MANY use a good diesel engine oil (yes, DIESEL engine oil!!), such a SHELL ROTELLA T6.
Here's a thread on engine oils: What engine oil do you use?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for this @MAL. Yes your right we have pretty dusty roads most of the year I live in the drier part of Fiji.
Hopefully I’ll be able to freight in some fluids and oil in the next month or so. Until then the penrite stuff is pretty decent.
Wow diesel oil! That’s very interesting! I have a friend here who uses engine oil in his gixr and swears by it

Regarding chain lube: I just use a good gear oil (heavy and thick....I think it's 140 weight) for my chain. Seems to do okay. If your roads are very dusty (which they probably are), gear oil does tend to attract dust. I am sure the chain lube you have will do a good job!
Here's a YouTube video delving into chain lube comparisons (although you shouldn't use that as an authoritative guide; FortNine in my opinion is more gimmicky than scientific):

As far as engine oil is concerned; there's a quite a few threads on this forum (and others), and MANY use a good diesel engine oil (yes, DIESEL engine oil!!), such a SHELL ROTELLA T6.
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
15 Posts
All good suggestions by 'Topaz'!

+1. Took FortNine advice. Also did comparison my self with motul lube. Sometime I do se motul lube with 'grease ninja' because it is faster (since, sometimes I forget to do it day before the ride 😅)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts