Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

My new ZX6R

39K views 113 replies 32 participants last post by  hondagrom+300 
#1 ·
I thought I'd share pics of my 636 I picked today. I've only ridden 39 miles so I can't say much about it yet but it is awesome so far. The worst part is having to break another bike in, it's pure torture. :banghead: I'll miss my 300 once its gone though. I wish I had room for both.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Gahh, that fender is atrocious. Beautiful bike though, I'd have one if it wouldn't run me $2-3k/yr for insurance.

#5 ·
Thats funny because I like the flat white vs. 300 white. I wanted a green one as my first choice but my local dealers didn't have a KIBS version available. This white always caught my eye in the dealer though and its grown on me even more since I decided to buy it.

#6 ·
Gorgeous. If I were buying a middleweight today, that's exactly the bike I'd get. Great choice!

Reactions: NinjaBaker
#9 ·
I like the flat white of the ZX-6R more than the Ninja 300's white. That's the reason I ended up with the green SE 300, I didn't want black, saw the ZX-6R in white, liked it, saw the 300 in white, hated it.

I'm not sure which I would end up with, a 636 or a 675r if I had the choice. I'm 22 with a good driving record, but insurance is crazy here in Florida. A lot of uninsured motorists..

#17 · (Edited)
Very nice. Just curious.... did you consider a Triumph Daytona 675? I love the look and sound of the triple. Would have been on my shopping list for sure.:)

I never came across a 675 so I couldn't see if it fit me. I would have considered it if I could find one. It's a gorgeous bike and from what I read is the best direct competitor for the 636. The 636 was always the top pick for me though.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

#20 ·
Thanks Gidroe. The ZX6 has a 32.7 seat height which I believe is the highest seat height for the Daytona too. That is definitely my limit being short. Lol The 636 is narrow in the seat/tank area so I'm comfortably in the balls of both feet at rest. The suspension should settle a bit and it'll be perfect for me.

I'll he sure to give some additional feedback after some seat time. I love this forum so I will still be active here. I will definitely miss the 300 as its a fantastic bike for what it is.

#19 ·
That's one good looking bike! Once you get some more ride time on it can you please post a review here?

It would be nice to have a fair comparison to the 300.

You've already dispelled one notion that insurance is universally and automatically astronomical on the 636.

Post back about things like gas mileage, mishaps, and handling. Is it a death machine? Did you get a million bucks in speeding tickets? Do you wish you kept the 300?

I'm being silly of course but I really am thinking of future forum members who will ask the same question over and over about upgrading. While every person has a different riding experience, your input will be very valuable.

#22 ·
For those wondering I pay $140 a month in insurance for the 636 policy alone. For comparison I am paying $80 a month for my 300 right now but if I combine it with my 636 I would only have to pay $135 total for both bikes with multiple bike discount. Full coverage comp and collision with 100/300 coverage as well as 25/50k in medical and uninsured motorist. (I have great medical insurance coverage through work too but may up this still) $500 deductibles. I have had my M1 for 3 months and had my motorcycle permit since I was 22. (11 years) I also have good driver and MSF discount. From what I understand Orange County has high bike insurance rates so I feel it was a good deal.

#23 ·
Great looking bike! Me thinks the 636 just looks so much meaner than the rest. I found it amazing that is is actually shorter in height next to the 300. If you can, take a pic of both of them side by side and show those who didn't know. Congratulations once again and safe riding!

P.S. After this, Muilisx may change his mind again:) Don't do it, Man!...Don't do it!...(LOL)

#24 ·
Haha, I have read the other upgrading to a 636 threads and the discussion was great. I almost chimed in since I was in the middle of deciding on one myself. There are a lot if knowledgeable people on the forum and their feedback was beneficial to me as well. I'll post some pics of the 300 and 636 together later today.

I should say I only made the upgrade because A) I make pretty good money and the payment plus maintenance plus insurance is not an issue for me, and B) I am confident in my riding skills and am at the point I feel I will be able to give the bike full respect so it respects me back. I definitely would not have bought it if both of those requirements were not met. I think those two things are absolutely necessary.

#25 ·
The reason I'm not going to get a ZX-6R. This is Progressive:

Premium Prior to Change: $1,010.97
Premium After Change: $6,712.14

I'd probably have to call up and talk to them, something is wrong with that quote lmfao. The premium was like $3k/yr for a ZX-6R when I checked it yesterday. That's a lot more than I've spent on my 300 lol!

#26 ·
The reason I'm not going to get a ZX-6R. This is Progressive:

Premium Prior to Change:$1,010.97
Premium After Change:$6,712.14

I'd probably have to call up and talk to them, something is wrong with that quote lmfao. The premium was like $3k/yr for a ZX-6R when I checked it yesterday. That's a lot more than I've spent on my 300 lol!
Yikes, that's high. My 300 is with Progressive and they quoted more than $100 more per month for my 636. I ended up going through Geico instead for it.

#37 ·
A quote for basic coverage is a bit less than that for me with Progressive. I pay $444/year for uninsured motorists alone though. That's the most expensive piece of the puzzle, no matter how old you are. I just can't go without it though, there are way too many people without it down here. I commute too close to the Miami area to not carry it.

#41 ·
When I was 29 my insurance on my VL Calais Turbo was a little over 2 grand a year.

Turned 30, get a reduction to 675 dollars a year. All because of 1 year of age. No changes in circumstances, no changes in driving history or records, no traffic convictions or fines......... no changes in anything. I just got a year older. 1325 dollars cheaper just because of age.

The way they work out insurance premiums is just silly.

#43 · (Edited)
I don't want to start a flame-war, but I am 44 and while my rates are good (no tickets or accidents claimed)—I get charged more for being unmarried than someone who is in the worst marriage ever. Basically, marriage or marital-status should have no bearing on auto/motorcycle-insurance. This is not an attack on marriage, but I find it annoying that marital-status costs me money because of what I do or don't decide to do with my relationship. It also means that people who lose their spouses (for no fault of their own) get to pay more for vehicle insurance. Same with young people who are delaying marriage for the reasons younger people do. You're already paying higher-rates, and you're dinged for being unmarried even if you're only 16. Silly.

Ok, some of you who are married will start quoting this or that stat about married people making 'fewer claims', but this is because most unmarried people are either very young and reasonably not married yet (but also a claims-risk, statistically) or very old and sometimes widowed (higher-risk due to old-age). So, the stats are skewed heavily toward unmarried people being 'worse' drivers (with exceptions) when the stats have nothing to do with marital-status and everything to do with other factors.

Two people of the same gender and driving the same vehicle in the same county with everything being equal but for marital-status should pay the same rate. Likewise, it wouldn't be fair to charge people more or less for being religious or non-religious. We should consider metrics actually related to driving. I know, I know. Crazy!

So that's my insurance rant. The reform continues though. Not too long ago, insurance companies used to charge more if you had a lapse in coverage but they're not allowed to do that anymore. Bastids. :D

#44 ·
hmmm I'm 22 in SoCal. I'm with AAA and they gave me $380/year, and that's full coverage and a $100 deductible. 25,000/50,000/50,000. No tickets in past 3 or at fault accidents. Good student discount, military, "recreational riding". I think the agent really hooked it up, I guess it depends on how much they work with you and your area.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#45 ·
I'm 44 as well and I try not to think how much insurance I pay every year. Individual policies not a killer (bike quite cheap) but boy do they add up.:(

Motorbike insurance
Car Insurance
House and contents Insurance (just got renewal - $6800 per year!!)
Caravan Insurance
Private Health Insurance
Life Insurance
Income Protection Insurance

I think I work to be insured!!

#48 · (Edited)
I got some good riding in yesterday and have a great initial impression.

Pros
* The steering is great, almost telepathic. While it has bigger tires and about 40lbs. more than the 300, it really feels light and precise in transition and turning.
* The brakes are amazing! I could use one finger on the front brake if I wanted to. I of course use two for better control though. But the brakes are not grabby or anything like that. And the rear brake has good feel and is easy to balance it with the front.
* The suspension is fantastic too. It absorbs bumps and imperfections in the road very well compared to the other SS bikes I've ridden. (Factory suspension settings still)
* The seat has more cushion to it. (This definitely helps with being comfortable in the SS riding position)
* The transmission is smooth as silk. It gives a good positive click with each gear change and it is very easy to find neutral when rolling to a stop. The clutch feel and feedback also is top notch allowing for very smooth gear changes.
* The dash layout is nice with one exception, no fuel gauge. But it does let you know when you are low on fuel by fuel warning. I love the gear indicator and the tach is perfectly placed.
* And last but not least is the amazing engine. I have been keeping it under 4k rpm still but it has plenty of torque for city riding. It easily rolls up inclined roads in 6th gear at 4k.
* MPG just cruising so far is 43.4 Granted I won't be shifting at 4k all the time once its broken in but not bad still.

Cons
* Doesn't always start on first try on cold start. This is common from what I've heard though and it doesn't really bother me.
* No fuel gauge.

#51 ·
I got some good riding in yesterday and have a great initial impression.

Pros
* The steering is great, almost telepathic. While it has bigger tires and about 40lbs. more than the 300, it really feels light and precise in transition and turning.
* The brakes are amazing! I could use one finger on the front brake if I wanted to. I of course use two for better control though. But the brakes are not grabby or anything like that. And the rear brake has good feel and is easy to balance it with the front.
* The suspension is fantastic too. It absorbs bumps and imperfections in the road very well compared to the other SS bikes I've ridden. (Factory suspension settings still)
* The seat has more cushion to it. (This definitely helps with being comfortable in the SS riding position)
* The transmission is smooth as silk. It gives a good positive click with each gear change and it is very easy to find neutral when rolling to a stop. The clutch feel and feedback also is top notch allowing for very smooth gear changes.
* The dash layout is nice with one exception, no fuel gauge. But it does let you know when you are low on fuel by fuel warning. I love the gear indicator and the tach is perfectly placed.
* And last but not least is the amazing engine. I have been keeping it under 4k rpm still but it has plenty of torque for city riding. It easily rolls up inclined roads in 6th gear at 4k.

Cons
* Doesn't always start on first try on cold start. This is common from what I've heard though and it doesn't really bother me.
* No fuel gauge.

Thanks for the pics and the feedback. I also found this link on the forum with a video comparing their "pissical" sizes. I can only imagine how hard it must be for you to remain at 4k...

http://www.kawasakininja300.com/for...a-636-zx6r-side-side-physical-comparison.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.