Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
61 - 80 of 114 Posts

· Registered
391 Posts
I paid about $13k OTD for my 636. And I did still owe for the 300 but I got approved with enough to cover the bike in full, so instead of trading my 300 in I got to sell it on my own. They offered me $3200 for my 300 and wouldn't budge on it. I knew it would sell for at least $5k so that helped. My 300 had 1340 miles on it and is in perfect condition.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

Damn man. I saw a zx6r 2012 model for $8200 brand new I wanted it so bad I can afford it easily but I didn't want to spend 2k a year in insurance. Haha it will be my next bike for sure.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

· Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 · (Edited)
I saw some good deals on the 2012 too but wanted the 636 and extra electronics that came with it. I was however tempted to get a left over 2012 ZX10R but it would have been a lot more so I decided against it. I even found a 2011 ZX10 for $10k. My original plan was to finish paying off the 300 and buy a leftover 636 at the end of the year but got too anxious. Lol. Plus I couldn't get 0% financing on a previous year's model.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

· Registered
6,882 Posts
Yeah the fender is killing it. I didn't get a fender eliminator for my 300 but I'm ordering one tonight. Insurance wasn't bad but I'm 33 with a good driving record.
How much are you paying for insurance?

· Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
How much are you paying for insurance?
I'm paying about $130 a month. I've been told that's high but I shopped around a bit through the bigger companies and it was lower than the others. I could have went with a small company for about half that, but have had bad luck getting covered if something happens so I'd rather pay more to go through a bigger respected company.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

· Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 · (Edited)
I'm stoked, a friend is working for AAA insurance now and just quoted me a lot lower for the same coverage. So I'm switching my coverage to them tomorrow and saving $100 per month between my car and bike.

Edit: So my ZX6R insurance is now about $80/month. Makes me feel better. Lol

· Registered
47 Posts
I don't know if this has been mentioned anywhere before, so sorry in advance, but...

have you had any trouble with cold start-ups on the zx-6r? Ive heard it doesn't start up the first or second time from a cold start.

· Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
I don't know if this has been mentioned anywhere before, so sorry in advance, but...

have you had any trouble with cold start-ups on the zx-6r? Ive heard it doesn't start up the first or second time from a cold start.
Yeah mine doesn't always start up first try when its cold outside, but its not a big deal to me. When I start it the bike idles really low, like 600rpm, and takes a couple seconds to raise the idle to normal. When it is cold it dies before it gets a chance to raise up. I just have to click the starter again and it fires right up though.

· Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
I thought I'd give a better review now that I've broken her in and passed the 1000 mile mark. I know many people are looking at this bike as a next step after the 300 so feel free to ask any questions.

Engine: The engine is fantastic and the power is more than enough for me right now. I am a power hungry person and strongly considered a ZX10R because I was afraid I would regret getting with a middle weight. I was also afraid that a 600 wouldn't have decent torque to put around town with during normal city riding. Well I can say now the power is right where I would want it for my current riding skill. And the mid range this bike offers is enough to ride without having to rev it to the moon to keep up with traffic. It pulls well above 3000rpm and really comes alive around 8-9000rpm, continuing to pull well to 14k where it drops off a bit but still carries oomph to redline. I can keep it in 6th and have plenty of passing power from 40mph up. While a literbike would have obviously been great, this bike is no slouch and more than meets my requirements. And the sound is heavenly, like all high revving supersports.

Electronics: The traction control is very seamless and I'm glad the bike comes with it. It's activated a few times pulling from stop lights aggressively and once when I shifted a little too hard from 1st to 2nd. The low power mode was used only during the first 100 miles but its nice to know its there in case its needed. ABS only triggered once, I will get into that below.

Clutch and Transmission: The clutch and transmission are also fantastic and I have no complaints. The clutch is real light and gives great feedback. And the tranny is smooth as butter and allows me to flick through the gears at full or part throttle perfectly.

Suspension: The handling is sublime. We previously talked about this bike having telepathic steering and that is a great description. The suspension is soft enough to handle rough roads for regular commutes but still shines when in the curves. It's very maneuverable in traffic and rides great on the freeway. It is really confidence inspiring and I haven't even gotten close to the limits yet. I plan on attending a track event in the next few months and can comment more on this after that since I'm not one to push it too hard on the street.

Brakes: I really couldn't ask for much more with them. They aren't real grabby and offer great feel, probably the ideal set up for someone getting into a supersport for the first time. I've yet to use them to their full capacity though and probably won't until a track day. I did trigger he ABS once when a rabbit ran in front of me while I was in a parking lot but that's it. I've also had a few "pucker" stops when someone pulled in front me and they handled the panic stop as good as I could ask.

Complaints: I only have one and that would still be the lack of a fuel gauge. But I just keep an eye on my trip odometer and haven't had an issue except once. I was half way through a canyon ride when my low fuel level came on and must have been on fumes by the time I made to fill back up.

I have no regrets on picking the 636 over the other bikes I considered. That list included the ZX10R and every middle weight supersport that is available. I've sat on them all again since and this one still feels the best to me.

Oh and in case you wondered, my average MPG is 47.6. Lol

· Registered
149 Posts
Thanks for the nicely detailed review. This will be my next bike once I am off my restricted licence. I have talked to others who have summarised it pretty much the same.

I have a question about build quality though, while I love my 300 I do think that Kawi took a lot of shortcuts to get the price down, I hope they didn't do the same for the 636?

61 - 80 of 114 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.