·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So far, I've gotten the following gear:

Scorpion Exo-500, b&w Oil
Dainese Air-flux textile jacket
Icon Twenty-niners, black gloves
I plan on getting kevlar jeans or an overpants for riding to work once I'm good enough to ride to work as well.

My only concern is with living in Arizona, it's gonna be hot as hell for all that black. I'll eventually get more heat-friendly colored gear, but trying to just get started so I'll have everything before MSF/getting my 300 and the sales guy said the black will only really be hot when stopped cuz the jacket flows air really well.

Also, will textile be sufficient if I crash to protect or should I get armor for underneath???

Any opinions on the gear I've gotten, the heat and protection would be great.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
If your jacket has appropriate armor in it (CE back, shoulder, elbow) then it will protect you. Jackets tend to not come with a CE back protector, only some flimsy foam thing or nothing at all, and have to be purchased separately.

·
Super Moderator
1,075 Posts
No matter how how it is. I always wear leather. Thats just me though

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If your jacket has appropriate armor in it (CE back, shoulder, elbow) then it will protect you. Jackets tend to not come with a CE back protector, only some flimsy foam thing or nothing at all, and have to be purchased separately.
Yes, it has CE pads. No back protector but I'm gonna get one.

·
Banned
613 Posts
Just don't expect the textile jackets to last through one crash.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have the same gloves, but I am thinking on upgrading ASAP due to some crash posts I've been seeing on other forums (and this one too)

I'm looking at Dianese's 4 stroke gloves, you can check them out here. Protection is great, however its not a full gauntlet (personally I don't like them, but for protection its superior and they are required for the track.

Check them out here: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-4-stroke-gloves

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I'm going to upgrade my gloves too, I just didn't want to go all out just yet.

Tried on a pair of. A* SMX-2 Air Carbons that felt really nice. I had also been looking at the Two Strokes but haven't had the chance to try them yet. I have to try them on before buying cuz I'm right between sizes for gloves.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Sounds like you are on the right track. Although you should get boots too. They protect your ankles far better than shoes ever could, and if you get high boots, it decreases your chances of breaking your foot or getting a sprained ankle in a crash.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like you are on the right track. Although you should get boots too. They protect your ankles far better than shoes ever could, and if you get high boots, it decreases your chances of breaking your foot or getting a sprained ankle in a crash.
Boots are in the works too. Until then, I have a good pair of full length boots from when I was a Correctional Officer that'll at least provide good footing and let me get through the MSF course.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Cagers are not going to drive any safer on hot days because they don't have the forethought not to hit motorcyclists who decide "It's too hot today to wear all my gear."

BTW, it was 95° on the day when a drunk driver ran a red light and hit me.
Boots; saved my foot from being crushed
Pants; padding saved me from a broken hip
Jacket; I'm not in a wheelchair because of my CE back protection
Helmet; saved my skull from smashing like an egg

If I didn't believe in "I would rather sweat than bleed" I wouldn't have walked away from that collision without a scratch. Never use heat as an excuse not to wear ALL of your gear.

All the gear all the time. NO EXCUSES. Give yourself the best chance possible to walk away from any crash/accident.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cagers are not going to drive any safer on hot days because they don't have the forethought not to hit motorcyclists who decide "It's too hot today to wear all my gear."

BTW, it was 95° on the day when a drunk driver ran a red light and hit me.
Boots; saved my foot from being crushed
Pants; padding saved me from a broken hip
Jacket; I'm not in a wheelchair because of my CE back protection
Helmet; saved my skull from smashing like an egg

If I didn't believe in "I would rather sweat than bleed" I wouldn't have walked away from that collision without a scratch. Never use heat as an excuse not to wear ALL of your gear.

All the gear all the time. NO EXCUSES. Give yourself the best chance possible to walk away from any crash/accident.
Thanks for sharing your personal experience! I plan on it. :) That's why if it's too hot, I'll get more heat friendly gear, but reviews say it's cool even on hot days.

I'm ordering/buying the back protector or armor vest for my jacket soon, and motorcycle boots are in the works. Not a lot of options for stores here, so I will have to take a trip to Tucson most likely cuz I hate ordering regular clothing online much less protective gear that I can't try on for a good fit.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
I have a black bike, black helmet and black everything else. Not very visible I know but thats what I got.

Heat wise here where I live in Western Australia, our summer/spring days average well over 35 degrees (95+ for the Americos), last few weeks we have seen high 30's, low 40's and I only ever wear my leather. In fact my textile jacket with all the vents gets much hotter than the leather jacket, therefore is now just a dedicated passenger jacket.

I dont think you will have too many probs with leather where you are, I find it is only whilst stopped or sitting in traffic I start to sweat a little. There are always the perforated leather options too. I would opt for leather always over textile, just much better abrasive and tear/burst resistance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
sounds like your on the right track doesn't matter what you wear when it's 115 outside your going to be a little toasty

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Aaaand, back protector is ordered! On sale for $59!
http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product/shield_air_g_back_protector_insert/web1001639

As well as a light smoke faceshield: (I figure two light smoke shields are better than one. Plus, I don't think I'll have to swap out for the clear when it gets dark?)
http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product/exo_500_1100_everclear_helmet_faceshield/web1009669
Personally, any kind of smoke shield at night is too dark for me. I have ridden in the dark with a smoke shield before only when I forgot the clear. I don't recommend any smoke at night because its a bit dangerous.

For gloves, I would recommend Alpinestars Scheme Kevlar http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-scheme-kevlar-gloves-2011 because it has a clarino palm (fake leather), kevlar reinforcement, and a carbon fiber knuckle. I find that leather gloves feel ruff after awhile because it gets wet from sweat then dries out. The clarino leather stays smoother longer for me. I found these gloves for $35 USD on ebay (bought 2 pairs cause it was a good price).

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
I agree with selden, for riding at night don't get any tint on your shield, it will seriously affect your vision. I've come home late from riding a few times, and regretted it every time.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I agree with selden, for riding at night don't get any tint on your shield, it will seriously affect your vision. I've come home late from riding a few times, and regretted it every time.
Thanks, I wasn't sure if it was going to be that dark of a tint or not to make much difference at night.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I find it can be hard enough to see bumps and potholes in the road at night even with a clear shield, especially in areas that aren't as well lit. Since bikes are much more affected by things in the road, every bit counts.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts