Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my motorcycle endorsement today, and then drove my dad (via car) to our local dealer to go pick up the 2004 750cc Honda Shadow he just bought. We got home and both set out together to practice around town (Dad hasn't ridden in 20+ years).

I was extremely nervous as I am 19 and my 300 is my first bike, BUT we cruised around town and some back roads for an hour and IT WAS A BLAST. Thanks to the wonderful MSF course I had no trouble controlling the bike and shifting. I wasn't nervous at all and felt completely relaxed. I was able to get the bike up to 6th gear and had plenty of power to spare. So glad I decided to go with the 300!

But now I'm jittery and on-edge because I want to get back out there haha. (literally, my hands are shaking and I'm catching myself holding my breath. Is this normal? lol)

I'm do a mixed break-in (Both high and low RPMs, bike on and off load.)

Anyway... it's going to rain for the next several days, so I'm going to get back out on the road. While it's nice. :)

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I got my motorcycle endorsement today, and then drove my dad (via car) to our local dealer to go pick up the 2004 750cc Honda Shadow he just bought. We got home and both set out together to practice around town (Dad hasn't ridden in 20+ years).

I was extremely nervous as I am 19 and my 300 is my first bike, BUT we cruised around town and some back roads for an hour and IT WAS A BLAST. Thanks to the wonderful MSF course I had no trouble controlling the bike and shifting. I wasn't nervous at all and felt completely relaxed. I was able to get the bike up to 6th gear and had plenty of power to spare. So glad I decided to go with the 300!

But now I'm jittery and on-edge because I want to get back out there haha. (literally, my hands are shaking and I'm catching myself holding my breath. Is this normal? lol)

I'm do a mixed break-in (Both high and low RPMs, bike on and off load.)

Anyway... it's going to rain for the next several days, so I'm going to get back out on the road. While it's nice. :)
It's normal to have that excitement. Welcome to riding, by the way, and really nice that you and your Dad share that common-interest. My Dad was into motorcycles when I was too young to ride! :)

I've noticed that when I go to the garage and see and smell my bike (yes, bikes have a smell to them), my heart races just a bit. It's exciting...and this is 29 years after I got my first motorized 2-wheeler (Honda Spree).

The excitement is part of why we ride...just make sure to exercise self-control as you learn. A lot of the mistakes riders make—the bad mistakes—happen after that 'caution' period wears off and they start riding over their heads (usually in the first year or so).

Congrats again and remember, all the gear all the time! (ATGATT). :D

Reactions: GreenSmitten

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, and good to know!

I have all the gear I need but overpants. But I'll be ordering them shortly. I just don't feel safe in blue jeans.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts