Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got to my first group ride today and down I went.

I was going left too fast into the corner, panicked and went into the ditch. Lucky for me the ditch was basically a small pond with water, mud, some plants, and frogs. The landing was so soft that I hardly felt anything. I think I went over the handlebars to the right. I immidiately pushed down the kill switch, picked up my bike and took into the side of the road with some help. All my gear, and bike covered in mud. Some guy made a comment, I looked like I went offroading. LoL. I had all leather gear, sidi boots.

Besides some pain in the wrist and bruised ego, I am basically fine. The bike started ok and rode off fine. I lost my right mirror in the fight and some minor scratches. I rode home with one of the guys, washed my bike, cleaned my gear, and ordered a new mirror. I will be taking it to a dealership to check the bike just in case.

Things I learned:
do not be afraid to lean when going fast into a corner, ride your own ride ( I was trying to copy a rider in front of me when this happened), Lean and look thru the corner, Keep calm and trust the bike, generally lowsiding is better than going into the ditch, rather go slow than too fast to test it, take it slow in unfamiliar road, test your skills on the track.

I feel lucky that I learned my lesson going down this way. I had a few close calls on public road that would have been much worse if I had gone down.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I hear you on the ride your own ride. It's important. And hard to do at the same time. My first group ride of about 15 people we hit some corners quite fast. I was in the middle so I didn't want to go to slow and keep up. I never went down but there were some moments where I thought I pooped a little. Just kept tellin myself "lean!" Then a little "oh shit oh shit oh shit " "lean".

It's hard to do cause you don't want to slow the people behind you down and shit but you must ride to your own capabilities. You just happened to learn that the hard way.

Glad to hear you're alright tho. Just remember. It could have been worse. Don't let the others push you.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Yeah, being pushed sucks. Glad you learned this without too much injury! Ride your own ride...sound advice!

·
Registered
958 Posts
In Australia and England a left turn that was too hot could put you into oncoming traffic if there is any, so has the possibility of being either much better if there is no traffic or much worse if there is. In the States, the right turn does the same thing. Someone did what happened to you on a group ride I was on a few weeks ago. It's very common. If you went back, same speed, better concentration, perhaps a better line, you would have no trouble, I bet.

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Glad you are in one piece. The bike can be fixed easily but fixing you would be much more difficult. I'm definitely gonna be the tail-end charlie when I go on my group ride.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Glad your alright....has any body leaned so Much that the peg under the peg hits the ground? I always wondered what would happen if anything

·
Registered
27 Posts
Glad your alright....has any body leaned so Much that the peg under the peg hits the ground? I always wondered what would happen if anything
If you notice, the peg under the Peg is a slider on the bottom, so it doesn't dig in. You might scare yourself, but the bike won't mind. :)

·
Banned
277 Posts
Get your arse off the seat in the corners. The more of your body you have off the bike the less the bike will need to lean, leaving you with a good buffer if you need it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts