Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
well i have own my ninja 300 for one week now and it is brand new, i droped it very slowly one day it didnt fall hard but the gear shifter got bent, so the next day i got it straighten out (it was on friday) today (monday) i started my bike and selected first gear but it didnt want to go to neutral, so i turned it off.

I almost forgot that the day i straighten out my gear shifter the bike was changing gears properly with no problem, but today it isnt working, does anyone know what can it be and how can i fix it ?

P.s sorry for my bad english, for those who consider it, i am from Colombia so im not so used to talk in english

·
Registered
159 Posts
Make sure the shift linkage isn't binding that runs from the shift lever into the shift arm coming out of the engine casing. Make sure you pull the clutch all the way in and try rocking the bike forward as you try to shift into neutral in case the gears in the transmission aren't lining up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Make sure the shift linkage isn't binding that runs from the shift lever into the shift arm coming out of the engine casing. Make sure you pull the clutch all the way in and try rocking the bike forward as you try to shift into neutral in case the gears in the transmission aren't lining up.
Well yesterday i did check for the transmissions part that i could see, but everything was normal, at least what i saw, the lever wasnt restricted to move but it just didnt shift, when i get home i will start moving the bike with the hope it recognize gears, otherwise i will have to call the repairshop and pay for a expensive repair

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does it even click when you kick it up? Is it moving freely? Is the actual lever just not budging?
The lever is completely free and can move but it is not selecting any gear, however i just tried it will i was staionary but it didnt select the neutral position

·
Registered
6 Posts
oh ya,

esta moviendo la moto mientras trata de ponerla en neutro? o la moto esta quieta?

Trate de halar el clutch y dar uno o dos pasos y trate de ponerla en neutro otra ves a ver si cambia.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Are you sure your in first not second gear? Kawasaki's have positive neutral finder so when the bike isn't moving you can only shift from first to neutral. Maybe it some how go budged into second gear and it needs to be shift down.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Are you sure your in first not second gear? Kawasaki's have positive neutral finder so when the bike isn't moving you can only shift from first to neutral. Maybe it some how go budged into second gear and it needs to be shift down.
That's what the post above is telling him. It may not be shifting because of the neutral finder.

·
Registered
298 Posts
You did try to roll the bike forwards/backwards while shifting, right?

Just making sure the simple things are not the issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oh ya,

esta moviendo la moto mientras trata de ponerla en neutro? o la moto esta quieta?

Trate de halar el clutch y dar uno o dos pasos y trate de ponerla en neutro otra ves a ver si cambia.
ayer cuando intente, la moto estaba parada completamente, meti primera y todo normal pero luego intente meter neutro y nada, el pedal de cambios se movia libremente, no se sentia suelto pero se podia mover hacia arriba y hacia abajo.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You did try to roll the bike forwards/backwards while shifting, right?

Just making sure the simple things are not the issue.
yeah i did try that a little bit but unfortunetly (hope its written in the right way) it did not work, so i simply gave up and as this is my first bike i tried to search on the internet

·
Registered
121 Posts
Most likely you need a linkage adjustment to compensate for the for the new angle of the shifter. I understand you straighten out the shifter after the drop and it Seemed to work fine at first. But most likely the shifter is not exactly as it was and the travel length and tolerance level of alignment has changed.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Will it go into neutral? You know it won't go into higher gears unless you are moving just neutral and first. Design feature. Can you post a picture of your linkage to make sure 1 end didn't move into a binding position.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts