Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was going down a steep incline, when I was met by a hairpin turn and oncoming traffic. Was going no more than 5mph, put on the brakes and the front tire slipped on some gravel. Bike slipped from underneath me, and slid down for about 10 feet on its right side. The middle fairing was scratched up, and I broke the front right footpeg stay, but other than the bike was fine. Turned the bike back on, and limped it back home.

Took off the fairings to get them repainted, and replaced the stay and now my motorcycle will not start anymore. When I turn it on, it makes a weird electrical sound (something familiar to a noise you would hear from an arcade game imo). I have also had problems shifting when stationary now. While the bike is in neutral, it will get into 1st, but will not go up to 2nd most of the time. (it makes that weird sound when trying to shift up to second as well.), Although randomly it does go through the whole gear range.

I don't really have any idea what is going on, and help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
the bike isnt supposed to go into 2nd gear once stopped. it has a special name that elused me right now, its too early in the morning for me to remember

i think its called "active neutral" or something like that

once the bike is started and you select first gear, you get to pick 1st and neutral, thats it

your not supposed to get 2nd gear, if your forcing to get to 2nd gear, stop doing it

·
Registered
392 Posts
Take it to a shop to look at it before anything else happens. Seems also may be unsafe to ride in its condition.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Lol he was shifting into second while stationary?
It's funny cause he is saying the bike won't shift into second when its not suppose to.

The sound is prob the fuel system buzz everyone gets.
The bike prob doesn't start cause his batter is dead from him standing there with it on trying to sift into second without moving. Wondering why he can't get past the neutral light.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Was going down a steep incline, when I was met by a hairpin turn and oncoming traffic. Was going no more than 5mph, put on the brakes and the front tire slipped on some gravel. Bike slipped from underneath me, and slid down for about 10 feet on its right side. The middle fairing was scratched up, and I broke the front right footpeg stay, but other than the bike was fine. Turned the bike back on, and limped it back home.

Took off the fairings to get them repainted, and replaced the stay and now my motorcycle will not start anymore. When I turn it on, it makes a weird electrical sound (something familiar to a noise you would hear from an arcade game imo). I have also had problems shifting when stationary now. While the bike is in neutral, it will get into 1st, but will not go up to 2nd most of the time. (it makes that weird sound when trying to shift up to second as well.), Although randomly it does go through the whole gear range.

I don't really have any idea what is going on, and help would be greatly appreciated.
Sounds like you have a few things going on there, way more than what could be diagnosed on a forum without actually hearing the sounds or seeing a video of what is going on. I would definitely suggest a dealer visit.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Sounds like a dead battery to me too. Does the engine spin over when you press the button or just make a noise?

The second gear lockout is normal. The bike has to be rolling a few MPH to get past it.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Also since you damaged the center fairing you may have damaged your stator as well. Which may explain why the battery is dead.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
I spent a few minutes one night thinking I had a dead battery too. Turns out I shut the bike via the bar switch and it was off. LOL.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Lol prob what happend. This will be his first and only post. One hit wonder.
He said he heard an electrical sound when he hit the starter so it's not a case of the kill switch being on. I still think that if he has a dead battery that it's a case of a dead stator or the starter motor became disconnected from the transmission or the teeth are damaged.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
That would be one heck of a 5 MPH crash! :eek:

He might only be describing the fuel pump, who knows? Could be the starter clicking too.

·
Registered
618 Posts
He says an electrical sound when he turns it on. Not when he hits the starter. He is describing the sound the fuel system makes in turn key. He dropped the bike at 5 mph on the exhaust side. Thats not a bad drop at all. There are people that have dropped these thing like 4 times already on here and nothing's broke. I'm going with nothing is wrong with it. Especially since he turned it on and rode it home right after. I wish he would come back and say something. Lol

He's prob still trying to shift into second

1 - 15 of 15 Posts