Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of y'all have one.

I have never road a bike n was wondering should I take the driving course or is it easy to learn to drive the bike. Because ones I do the course u also get ur license

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
If you dont have a licence to ride it, dont ride it. Simple.

Take a course, do a few lessons and get some practice in on a closed off area before you go on the road and endanger others and yourself.

Nothing to lose by learning properly mate, only many skills to gain. I see a lot of people that dont learn properly, have an accident and never return to riding a motorcycle as it scares the shit out of them. Learn properly, and in the event that you do have a crash later on, you will more than likely know why that was and it wont scare you off riding again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know what I mean and I know not to endanger. Others n my self

Was wondering how everybody else got their license. N learn how to drive because you know not everybody takes the course to learn

·
Banned
62 Posts
Some people may all ready have a car license and know what they are doing on the road. Some people have experience of riding motorcross bikes when they were young and some may just find a empty parking lot and practice.

Most people don't have this option though (outside the US) they would have to take lessons and a test whether or not they already have a car license

Better to take lessons rather than buying a bike and throwing it down the road in the first week because you don't know how to ride

·
Registered
320 Posts
I learned how to ride from a friend who had a bike then one day went and took my written test passed it got my permit and was good to ride all the time so i practiced for my riding test and went and took it. How old are u by the way. Because here in california if ur not over 25 you have to take the class .i dont know about other states but here u do

·
Registered
5 Posts

I have never road a bike n was wondering should I take the driving course or is it easy to learn to drive the bike. Because ones I do the course u also get ur license
TAKE THE CLASS!!!
I did it last week never road before and they teach you a lot, it's kinda fun, but I learned to ride and they taught me a lot, I went and took the DMV written year today and got 100% take the class

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
630 Posts

In Texas you need to take the course to get your motorcycle license.

You need your motorcycle license to get your bike insured. I don't think they check right away if you have an endorsement because I signed my policy up when I didn't have an endorsement, but if you buy a bike, insure it, and then get in an accident, it gets stolen, whatever, and you don't have your license, 100% guarantee they're going to deny your claim and drop your coverage.

Not to mention the fact that if you get pulled over without a license you're going to be hating your life.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Some people may all ready have a car license and know what they are doing on the road. Some people have experience of riding motorcross bikes when they were young and some may just find a empty parking lot and practice.

Most people don't have this option though (outside the US) they would have to take lessons and a test whether or not they already have a car license

Better to take lessons rather than buying a bike and throwing it down the road in the first week because you don't know how to ride
OP I know how not to endanger myself and others too. But idf I were to get on something that I dont know how to correctly operate, you dont have full control which means its usually not your choice when something goes wrong. Usually why they call it an accident, because we dont mean to do it. ;)

Three lions: Motorcross riding is a start, but is totally different riding a sport bike, the only transferable skill I had from years of motocross riding was knowing how to work the box. Everything else totally different. If I got on that bike and rode it like my trail bike, I would have come off in the first few minutes.

And having a car licence does not transfer into knowing what your doing on the road when you hop on a bike. The laws of the universe totally change from car to bike. Many people that drive cars dont know what they are doing on the road. :rolleyes:

Do some lesson please OP, I am sure that you will have someone in your area that can help you learn how to ride. Whether that be a family member or friend, registered driving school or simply yourself in an area not near public roads or people. Practice makes perfect, and there is nothing wrong with self teaching. Just ensure someone else has a good look at your skill before you get on a public road, as there may be things that you have overlooked or are doing incorrectly. Second opinions always help.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
i have been riding for 31 years and have learnt everything from friends/family, but the most i have learnt from is by reading books & watching dvds on the subject on motorcycle riding. the best ones i have to my name is by "Keith Code" twist of the wrist 1& 2.
if you read my signature below, click the new rider tips and bu the books/dvds that are linked in there, study them, they will be your new best friends for the rest of your motorcycle riding days.
when i got my learners permit for a road bike, i went to a empty shopping centre car park every sunday for months with my books & i trained myself. i had a number of other riders turn up over time and there was about 20 of us & we helped each other & my books did the rounds. we were about 900 kilometers from the nearest training course rooms on the coast & we wanted to learn, so we did.
i will never forget those months, we all learn a lot from each other those years ago, it was in about 1996 it was. fun times

·
Banned
62 Posts
OP I know how not to endanger myself and others too. But idf I were to get on something that I dont know how to correctly operate, you dont have full control which means its usually not your choice when something goes wrong. Usually why they call it an accident, because we dont mean to do it. ;)

Three lions: Motorcross riding is a start, but is totally different riding a sport bike, the only transferable skill I had from years of motocross riding was knowing how to work the box. Everything else totally different. If I got on that bike and rode it like my trail bike, I would have come off in the first few minutes.

And having a car licence does not transfer into knowing what your doing on the road when you hop on a bike. The laws of the universe totally change from car to bike. Many people that drive cars dont know what they are doing on the road. :rolleyes:

Do some lesson please OP, I am sure that you will have someone in your area that can help you learn how to ride. Whether that be a family member or friend, registered driving school or simply yourself in an area not near public roads or people. Practice makes perfect, and there is nothing wrong with self teaching. Just ensure someone else has a good look at your skill before you get on a public road, as there may be things that you have overlooked or are doing incorrectly. Second opinions always help.

Motorcross riding should teach you how to balance, how to change gears, which is the accelerator and which is the brake, (the basics).
I don't know what car tests you have but if you've passed your driving test in a car and don't know what the hell you're doing on the road then there's something wrong.

Saying that, I was advising the OP to take lessons before going out on the road on a bike, I was just pointing out why some people feel they don't need to.

Personally, I don't have that choice. I live in the UK and we have tests coming out of our arse to drive either a car or a bike. I have seen people on youtube though who live in the states, buy a bike, ride around a car park for 10 mins and say that's it, I know how to ride.

·
Registered
299 Posts
three lions: jeff makes a good point - the majority of people driving cars on the road know how to operate their vehicle at some level, but don't really know what they're doing. A lot of people freeze up behind the wheel whenever something unexpected happens. There are probably a lot of people (mostly cagers) on the road who shouldn't really be there. :) It's way, way too easy to get the car license in the US...

I also agree that having my car license only helped me know the general rules of the road and how to behave in traffic, rather than how to safely operate a motorcycle. So there are definitely some transferable skills and knowledge, but not really enough to suffice.

Whitedust: What a good motorcycle safety course (or the materials that cruizin talks about here) WILL teach you is what to do when stuff happens on the road. Yes, you have to *agonize* through the beginner stuff like how to work the bike, but if you don't already know how to work a bike, you may as well have a certified instructor show you what to do and all the good habits. Failing the safety points, a safety course will probably lower your insurance costs a little bit, especially if you're a younger rider. That should be reason enough.

As for riding without a license, even if you are the safest, most observant rider, you can still get rear-ended (or worse) by an unobservant cager. At that point, you'll be in for a major loss. The potential costs that go with not having a license far outweigh the costs of getting one.

Reactions: jeff

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I learned how to ride from a friend who had a bike then one day went and took my written test passed it got my permit and was good to ride all the time so i practiced for my riding test and went and took it. How old are u by the way. Because here in california if ur not over 25 you have to take the class .i dont know about other states but here u do
Did that change? I thought it was 21 but that was also 4 years ago.

Edit: From DMV website -

"If you are under 21, you must provide a completion certificate from the motorcycle rider training course.
If you are over 21, you may complete and provide the completion certificate from the motorcycle rider training course OR schedule an Appointment(s) at DMV to take the motorcycle driving test."

Where'd you get 25 from?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the advise guys. I'm 29. Years old

Hopefully this can also help someone else. Ima start looking a driving course see what's the price range here in Texas

·
Registered
8 Posts
Best dicision I made

I have never ridden before and in Alabama to get your endorsment all you have to do is take a written, Which I think is rediculous. I would have killed myself if I chose to ride my new bike after I passed the test. I chose to take the MSF course and it was the best thing I have done for the safety of myself and others and I would recommend you do it also. I learned a ton of stuff and feel more confident now because of it. What could it hurt?

·
Registered
364 Posts
What kind of question is that? How many of yall have them? I would assume everyone should have their class M if not you shouldn't be riding.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts