Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellow riders,

New member here. Just purchased my second bike. New to the mods so I'm still learning. I've read a lot of good threads on here about what mods are favorites to do first, etc. I know that every mod is a personal preference, but what about the important things.

After reading many threads about beginner mods I saw where several members posted things they did first, such as EBC HH Sintered-Metal Brake Pads and Yoshimura Chassis Protectors, to name a few.

My question is, are there things that you would recommend should be done first to the bike. I'm thinking along the lines of K&N oil/air filter replacements, and other maintenance to prolong bike life or to have a better ride. I live on the beach, so I won't be doing much canyon or mountain riding. I'll have sand and water to deal with.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Don't get the yoshi sliders. They fail and destroy your fairings. Gear is first on my list. Then brakes. Everything else is preference.

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
I just put Yoshi's on as I have ABS, fail or not my leg will thank me if they impact before it does :)

·
Registered
958 Posts
The first thing you should to is get a complete set of gear, your body is the one thing that can't be replaced. I have a set of leathers for riding in the canyons and some textile and kevlar gear for around town and going places.

Second is new tires, the stock tires suck, plain and simple. The tires are your connection to the road, and good tires will keep you safe and increase the performance capability of the bike.

Third is perhaps frame sliders and perhaps swing arm/fork/bar end sliders in case you go down to limit the damage to the bike.

Everything else is personal preference for the type of riding your doing and your personal taste.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I don't consider gear to be a 'mod' per se, but gear is critical. I don't ride without mine.

As for mods, I would have sold the 300 were it not for:

1. Woodcraft Clip-ons
2. Pazzo Levers.

These two for me were critical because the stock bars with my riding style are terrible (too high) and the levers are critical to fix the 'too-far-out' clutch issue, where the friction zone is about a light-year away from the grip—larger a span than my hand can easily reach and control.

Another great mod for me was the addition of EBC HH sintered-metal brake pads. They really improved the braking over the stock organic pads. Big difference.

A fun power mod, but not essential, was the Yosh full-exhaust and ECU-tune. Nice power-gains and great sound. Weight-reduction. Well worth it though.

Woodcraft weighted bar-ends were a nice way to reduce vibration.

The Flash-Tune quickshifter is amazing on this little bike since it gets shifted a lot as it is.

The gearing changes I made were excellent, though if I did it again it'd be a 14/40 setup with stock chain.

Reactions: BlondieUhOh

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
before you go nuts with brake pads, replace the brake fluid the bike comes stock with its usually clear or a yellow type colour. its utter crap. bleed it and replace it with decent name brand DO4 both front/rear brakes.

lots of ideas for you in our DIY sticky thread of wisdom

http://www.kawasakininja300.com/for...awasaki-300-ninja-do-yourself-how-thread.html

stebel nautilus airhorn, brake light modulator, and steering stem bearings to be thought of in the near future

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
First thing i did to my bike was put in some oggy knob frame sliders - can be used on an ABS bike and you don't have to cut the fairings. you can see it in the following photo.
next i put on a musarri slip on - which i changed out for a yoshi full system and PCV and K&N. then i put on some S/S brake lines and new pads along with new brake fluid.

·
Premium Member
349 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
yep! just before yungaburra, went jetskiing up there one day.
thought so, man that place is brown, im like to go there myself and relax & unwind when i go riding thru your neck of the woods, but i have been fortunate enough that everytime i have been there its very lush & green

i told you i was familiar with your neck of the woods ;)

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
thought so, man that place is brown, im like to go there myself and relax & unwind when i go riding thru your neck of the woods, but i have been fortunate enough that everytime i have been there its very lush & green

i told you i was familiar with your neck of the woods ;)
Yeah it was taken at the start of the year or end of last year when they hadn't had much rain. I'm sure if you go there now it'll be green, it's been raining nonstop for the last week.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
Yeah it was taken at the start of the year or end of last year when they hadn't had much rain. I'm sure if you go there now it'll be green, it's been raining nonstop for the last week.
yeah im a bit over the rain to be honest, it started here again today and supposed to be here for another week or so, you bloody rippa

NOT

·
Registered
23 Posts
The first one I did was a slip-on exhaust. I couldn't hear myself going down the road and I didn't like that. In my city most of the cars are pretty loud in the summer time with their stereos and exhausts, so I wanted a way to be heard. And honestly, it saved my arse a few times just in the first week I had it on.

Second thing was a K&N air filter. I only mention this because it is very cheap and easy to do.

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
The best mod I put on was my Yoshi S/S Slip on. It doesn't yield any extra power but it looks great and makes a wonderful sound! If you want more power, then go the whole hog and get the full exhaust system, Power Commander & K&N air filter. Add in a quickshifter if you've got the extra money...Stickier tyres as well and stainless steel braided brake lines, are also other mods I would do. If you haven't already done so, change out the yellow brake fluid and put in some nice DOT 4 stuff in. Mine is nice and blue...And the brakes won't feel so spongy...

I'm just currently wearing out my stock tyres, since I've already paid for them and then putting on some nice Pirelli's, along with the braided lines installed at the same time...

If anything, check out SpacepOd's bike build in his signature. That's about as good as it gets, with regards to modding on the 300.

Do let us know what you end up doing...

Cheers...

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Sheesh, I totally forgot to mention tires, but yes I like to get the best I can get for a given bike or wheel spec. I like the Pirelli Diablo Rosso II tires quite a bit. Stock sizes.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Here are my mods in my priority: :)

Tires: Diablo Rosso II 110/70, 140/70
Probably the best mod I had so far. The difference is like day and night.

Exhaust: M4 Carbon Fiber Slip On
Having a loud pipe makes you more noticeable thus visible.

Frame Sliders: Oggy Knobbs

The rest is all optional..

Bar Ends: Grip puppies, HVMP Extra Heavy Bar Ends
The vibration on handlebars is gone. I can ride it for hours and still my hands are quite comfortable.

Pazzo Racing Shorty Levers
Another mod to increase your comfort.

My other mods:
Zero Gravity SR Series Smoke Windscreen
Rear Seat Cowl - Lime Green
K&N Air Filter
Scorpio SR-i900R RFID Alarm

·
Registered
391 Posts
Well, not one for crazy mods or anything but having just changed to head bearings to tapered bearings was a "day" and "night" difference.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
37 Posts
Here are my mods in my priority: :)

Tires: Diablo Rosso II 110/70, 140/70
Probably the best mod I had so far. The difference is like day and night.

Exhaust: M4 Carbon Fiber Slip On
Having a loud pipe makes you more noticeable thus visible.

Frame Sliders: Oggy Knobbs

The rest is all optional..

Bar Ends: Grip puppies, HVMP Extra Heavy Bar Ends
The vibration on handlebars is gone. I can ride it for hours and still my hands are quite comfortable.

Pazzo Racing Shorty Levers
Another mod to increase your comfort.

My other mods:
Zero Gravity SR Series Smoke Windscreen
Rear Seat Cowl - Lime Green
K&N Air Filter
Scorpio SR-i900R RFID Alarm
How do you like your alarm?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks everyone for all the responses so far.

A lot of helpful information. I've concluded that
tires, slip-on (more for safety), brake fluid change, k & n air filter, I like the point of grip ends reducing vibration, (I enjoy riding long distances), are top on the list.

I am still waiting to get the bike. When I purchased it, I started looking at it and noticed a small chip in the gas tank, the dealership is replacing the gas tank. I haven't been able to pick it up yet.

As far as the slip on - I'm looking for safety only, not crazy about having a loud bike, what brand would you guys recommend, if I'm going for safety alone, I'm sure they all look decent, or at least the ones I've seen.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts