Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title indicate, think this is alright? Just performed my 2nd oil change at 1600 miles and filled with 2.2 qt ish of Kawi mineral 10w40 (left over in the jug). Dont really want to purchase another qt of kawi mineral just to fill from the lower line of the spy glass if im going synthetic next OCI. Think this is okay to fill the rest of crankcase with a synthetic blend like Castrol ActevoXtra 4T?

Cycle gear has a sale on the Actevo for the same price as a qt of kawi mineral oil and is easier for me to source, instead of having to wait until monday for dealership to open. What do you guys and gal think?

I would imagine it would be alright since there are synthetic blends out there. Thank you in advance for your input.

·
Banned
277 Posts
There's nothing wrong with mixing oils although its not always preferred.

If you look on the shelf you'll find synthetic blend oils which is just that, a blend of mineral and synthetic.

What you did is perfectly fine.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Just check to be sure that Castrol synthetic isn't for cars with a dry clutch. A lot of that specially formulated car synthetic oil will murder a bike's wet clutch.

·
Registered
294 Posts
If the castrol is motorcycle formula, I'd add it, the ratio is so small, you would be adding about 1/4 qt. I dont know the actual do's and donts of mixing, but i can tell you that many car dealerships offer half syn. Blends...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

X-TRA PROTECTION FOR YOUR ENGINE

Castrol® Actevo X-tra™ with TriZone Technology™ is a part-synthetic 4-stroke motorcycle oil specially formulated with Heat Protection Molecules to protect your bike’s engine against high-temperature deposits and wear. These advanced molecules combat and minimize the formation of harmful high temperature combustion deposits which start to occur when your bike is working hard - on the open road or in dense city traffic.
BENEFITS
  • Part synthetic 4-stroke motorcycle oil
  • Outstanding high temperature air-cooled engine performance for hard working bikes
  • Superior high temperature oil consumption and oxidation control
SPECIFICATIONS
  • API SERVICE: Exceeds API SG
  • JASO (T903): JASO MA-2
  • VISCOSITY: SAE 10W-30 // 10W-40 // 20W-40 // 20W-50
  • JASO (T903): JASO FB
Used this with my Kawi 10w40 Mineral Oil. From the very bottom of the spy glass, it took approx 440ml to fill to the top of the full line. Roughly a little less than a 1/2 qts. Took it for a quick spin around the block, doesnt feel any different. Will see how it shifts next saturday when I take it on a 100+ miles mountain/canyon run. Fingers corss. :D

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Yep nothing wrong with mixing the two at all, I use a 50/50 mix of synthetic/mineral that I mix myself on my car, wouldnt hesitate to do the same on the bike if required.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts