Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's the wierdest thing. It seems like only on the inside of the clear face shield for my hjc cs-r2 helmet I get tiny little scratches when I wipe it with an eyeglass cleaner cloth. Aren't these cloths supposed to work on this stuff?
whats weirder is the scratches go away when I rinse it with warm water. I tried 3 different cleaning cloths and they all do the same thing.
I can see there is some coating or laminate over the faceshield. Is looks like blue and purple ripples when you hold it to the light at the right angle.
I had to pat dry the inside with a regular cotton towel to avoid getting the scratches.
Does anyone know whats up with this?
Whats the coating/ laminate called?
Whats the right material to use for cleaning it?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
392 Posts
I just use a paper towel and water myself

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
It's the wierdest thing. It seems like only on the inside of the clear face shield for my hjc cs-r2 helmet I get tiny little scratches when I wipe it with an eyeglass cleaner cloth. Aren't these cloths supposed to work on this stuff?
whats weirder is the scratches go away when I rinse it with warm water. I tried 3 different cleaning cloths and they all do the same thing.
I can see there is some coating or laminate over the faceshield. Is looks like blue and purple ripples when you hold it to the light at the right angle.
I had to pat dry the inside with a regular cotton towel to avoid getting the scratches.
Does anyone know whats up with this?
Whats the coating/ laminate called?
Whats the right material to use for cleaning it?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
HJC. Enough said.

Most visors get little scratches, I wouldnt stress about it. I use simply the tv cleaning cloth I have on my shelf for the plasma.

You have taken off the protective film that they are shipped with yeah? Just thought I would throw it out there..........you probably have but you never know.....

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, man. no wonder....I've been doing it all wrong. ha

·
Super Moderator
1,075 Posts
I just use a paper towel and water myself
I wouldnt use paper towel, tissue or toilet paper on anything I see through. I wear glasses and learnt from my optometrist receptionist hotty that all the above are wood fibre products, or have them in them. Scratchy scratchy........
Was going to say this until I scrolled down more and saw this. Never use paper towels on painted surfaces because of the wood. I've always used invisible glass and microfiber towel

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Was going to say this until I scrolled down more and saw this. Never use paper towels on painted surfaces because of the wood. I've always used invisible glass and microfiber towel

That looks good, but then it will be invisible!!!!!! Gonna make changing your visor out hard if you cant see where you put it down....... :p

But yeah definitely dont use paper towel, on any part of the bike or accessories that you dont want scratched.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm pretty sure the coating I'm talking about isn't a painted surface.

·
Registered
958 Posts
By accident, I discovered hand sanitizer also works very well. I was cleaning bugs off my helmet at McDonalds with paper towel and saw there was a smudge that wouldn't come off with water (Diet Coke really). Then I look up and there is this kiosk with free hand sanitizer wipes. I knew they are alcohol based so your hands dry. It worked like a miracle on my face shield and I used it on the entire helmet. Great stuff. I'm going to buy some to keep on hand.

·
Registered
155 Posts
By accident, I discovered this doesn't work at all. I was cleaning bugs off my helmet at my GFs house with paper towel and saw there was a smudge that wouldn't come off with water (don't ask what it was). Then I look up in her medicine cabinet and there were some Summers Eve wipes. I knew they are alcohol based so your ***** dries. It worked like crap on my face shield and the entire helmet. Awful stuff. I'm going to buy some to keep on hand (smells great!)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts