Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought one of these off a guy who bought it, laid it down, didn't ride again. I did my usual once over: oil change, air filter, spark plugs, and it needed battery, been sitting over a year. Oil was milky which makes me think head gasket, there was oil in the air box and the spark plugs were black but maybe in a running rich kind of way. Put fuel cleaner in and it smoked grey/white and heavy. Looking for guidance. Work on cars usually not bikes. Milky oil is ALWAYS bad, but not sure of the pathways or where crossover could happen.

·
Registered
167 Posts
These bikes usually don't get head gasket failures, typically. Of course its possible, but in my experience, not likely. I have gotten milky oil because I literally spilled coolant into the crankcase when I had the valve cover off doing a valve job. So I was just the idiot on that one, but the milky oil was very hard to clear up. I had to ride it, and then park with the oil filler cap off every time for about a week to get the oil back to normal, then did another change. If you are doing this and letting the steam out of the engine through the oil filler cap, and the oil remains milky, then yes, you may be correct about a bad head gasket. But I would do that procedure first, many times, and see if it helps. Sometimes when sitting, water can just normally condense in the engine, and now that its getting hot and running again, that water will then get mixed into the oil, and may just need to be evaporated out.

As for the air box, mine had "oil all over it" inside and out, but it was because I just put a little too much air filter oil on the air filter. I took the air box out earlier this spring and cleaned it inside and out, and its no longer there, and of course I properly oiled the filter this time. So I would wipe it away and then see if it comes back, but I doubt it will come back. My throttle bodies were immaculately clean when I took them out when cleaning the air box too, I was rebuilding the engine top end. So it may just be over applied filter oil.

These bikes by design run pretty lean, to be efficient. My plugs are white to off white. Never black at all. Are they wet? Smell like gas? I have found that after adjusting my valve clearances, the engine runs better especially at idle and mid range, which I would guess is because my valves were quite out of spec. Some had zero clearance, all 3 times I have done the valve adjustments, and it always runs better after, and the plugs are more of a cleaner white after doing the valve job. So I would shim the valves. If its a low mileage motor, say under 30,000 miles, you probably don't have blowby or bad rings, so probably not an issue. Mine is almost at 50,000 miles, and doing the piston rings and hone, and another valve job, and cleaning all the top end parts made a huge difference in everything. But, you're probably not at that mileage, and it's probably not an issue. But something to keep in mind.

Maybe check/clean the tank out too just in case it had condensation or other stuff buildup in there while sitting. Can't hurt.

Hope this helps.
-Mike

·
Registered
167 Posts
Interesting you're having blackened plugs at such a low mileage... I bought my N300 at 12,000 miles, and it did no such thing back then. And based on the maintenance schedule, it shouldn't need a valve adjustment until around 20,000 IIRC. After you do the appropriate maintenance tasks, change the plugs to get a fresh plug reading, and check the gap on them. Every NGK plug I've ever bought for this bike had been out of spec in the gap, so just check em.

Maybe bad gas? Sitting a year can do that to gas, especially if the tank wasn't full, and you have a non-CA model. (they don't seal the tank/vapors as tightly as the CA models) Either burn off the gas in there or flush it out with fresh gas, and maybe a bit of fuel system cleaner too, can't hurt. Every now and then I run some seafoam through my bike in the gas, nothing crazy, and when I rebuilt the motor, my entire fuel system was perfectly clean and working well.

Let us know what you find when working on it!
-Mike

·
Registered
458 Posts
Has the coolant level dropped and the oil level raised? Is it continuing to get milky?

If the head gasket is an issue, you should see some other signs.

How does it idle?

Did you completely drain all the old gas?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts