Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I haven't purchased my bike yet, but soon, very soon. :) I have been doing a lil research on the Ninja 300 and was pretty set on purchasing this particular bike but when I went to the dealership yesterday they tried to push the Ninja 650. Unfortunately, they would not allow me to test drive the bikes:( so I can't really compare the two on the initial take off or power. The dealer told me both bikes were exactly alike except one was 300cc (with no more power than a scooter) the other 649cc, and I realize bigger is better and more powerful but is it what I need? I can't get this image out of my mind of a scooter passing me and having to eat their dust:eek::eek::(

I haven't been on a bike for over 15 years so this will be my starter bike but I dont want to outgrow it before I finish paying for it! Would you 300 owners mind weighing in on the 300 vs 650? Do you feel that the 300 has enough power to stroke a mans ego or keep a woman satisfied? :D

Any input you can give would be soooo helpful.

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
123 Posts
There is no scooter thats going to pass up the 300... Unless you are on a track, or looking to do wheelies down the freeway like a numbskull 300 has got everything a normal well adjusted human on 2 wheels needs. I could see the 250 leaving something to be desired, but they definitely crossed the line with the 300, very happy with my buy.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Can't speak from ego stroking...well fuck, yes I can. You want bullet fast and max adrenaline? Neck snapping speeds that will land both you and your bike in jail? Being able to do twice the posted speed limit? Get a 600+.

Wanna be around to tell your grand kids stories and live a long life? Get the 300...

Forget ego and consider what YOU want. Think about that carefully...the 300 will give you plenty of thrills and fun. Will you outgrow it? That's for you to say being honest and what you are looking for.

For a salesman to point you at a 650 and tell you they are "exactly alike"? That is downright shameful. Simply pointing you at a higher priced bike so he could make an extra buck.

What kind of riding did you do 15 years ago? Street? Dirt?

·
Registered
958 Posts
It sounds like your dealer has to many 650's they can't move because the 300's are so hot right now ;)

Seriously though, the 300 is faster than pretty much every car on the street, so if your dealer actually thinks they are like a scooter, they haven't rode one yet. I rode a little as a teenager and for a few months when I was 20, but that's it. I got my Ninja 300 for my 50th birthday and it was the best present I've ever got myself. I originally planed on getting a 250R for a year and then upgrade to a ZX-6. I've had my 300 for 5 months now and have put over 2000 miles on it, and I don't know when I'll ever get rid of it. I spend all my riding in the canyons of L.A. and it's nothing but fun. :D

Reactions: LACEY NINJA

·
Registered
215 Posts
Sounds like your salesman is just trying to make a few extra bucks. When I went into the dealership I was not exactly sure what bike I wanted. I talked to a salesperson about the ninja 300 and the zx-r6. The salesman actually gave me good info on both bikes and left the decision up to me. That is how a salesman should do it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank for all the input. I was hoping to visit another dealer tomorrow but looks like they are closed :/ I have to go to Jacksonville Monday so hopefully I can stop by a dealer there. Btw has any of you purchased the extended warranty? Gap insurance?

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
the 300 handles just as good as a larger cc bike, probably better then most as it has much less weight the be thrown around, nothing wrong with it at all, go nuts & get a full aftermarket exhaust system & power commander 5 on it & enjoy some fun times on it, and if your experienced enough, put the larger cc bike riders to shame , lol

·
Registered
74 Posts
had super fast road bikes,got a 300 because you can ride it at its limit all day long without getting in trouble.the larger bikes,well that extra h.p. and weight can get you in trouble. for me its more fun to ride than the larger bikes,but maybe its my age 68 years old.lets ride....

·
Registered
958 Posts
A 300 cc scooter might be able to out-maneuver and pass you, but not at top speed and not if you are going full-out off the line (and don't miss any gears). Acceleration is the Ninja's 300s weak point for many. My Vespa 300 has a top speed of 82 mph. Scooters are probably better in city traffic than motorcycles, especially the small-wheel scooters like Vespa. See Mordeth 13. I owned a 2012 250r, Ninja 300, and a 2012 Ninja 650r. The Ninja 650 r has a lot more power in all gears than the Ninja 300, accelerates much faster, and has a higher top end speed of about 130 mph or so. It is also heavier (even a little boat-like compared to many sport bikes), vibrates a little more, gets poorer mileage, and the seat is higher at 31.9 inches, and it costs more.

The Good Times Kawasaki Truck that comes around lets you ride their bikes. I rode the 650r for the first time there, and liked it so I bought one the next day. They even give you a discount chit..$250 off I think. Also many dealers DO allow test rides if you ask around. All these bikes are very good in their own ways and better in some respects than the others...scooters, Ninja 300, Ninja 650r. It all depends on what you want and expect. If you wouldn't be happy with the looks of a scooter, then it doesn't matter how fast it goes, for example. And if you want fast accleration off the line, only the 650r would do of those I mentioned. The beauty of the 300 is that it looks good..like a sport bike, isn't too expensive, does everything (some things like top speed it does very well considering its size), and it's a great first bike, maybe the best.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Yes there are scooters that are over 300cc, so in engine size, they can be quite comparable to a Ninja 300. But after that, they are completely different. There is a reason there are members on here who own both a scooter, and a Ninja around the same engine size. One is for the twisties, top speed highway capability, and fun factor. The other is for utility (big space to store helmet and shopping stuff), is easy to learn (auto transmission), and is super forgiving in stop and go city stuff.

I think you can figure which one is for you. Comparing the Ninja to a scooter is just a sales tactic to up-sell you on the 650

·
Registered
952 Posts
I love my 300. Havent ridden any 600s but I dont really want to. 300 is perfect for me. No complaints. Here are my favorite perks: more mpg, less speeding tickets, less insurance, slipper clutch, less cost.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Reactions: LACEY NINJA

·
Registered
391 Posts
Coming from two different spectrums an S1000RR and now a 300, I can tell you the 300 is a MUCH better street/fun bike for almost everything. Now, the power of a liter bike is intoxicating and is really fun at times, but you must be mature and know your limits. Quickly I learned the true capabilities of my liter bike once I took it the track and since, learned that something like that is way overkill for the streets.

So I think the 300 is the perfect bike to start out with, learn on, and live with; however if you think you've outgrown the 300, than your next step is to track it and you'll find out that you've only began your learning journey.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a silver wing 600 scotter and it is a fast scotter. Had a Harley sportster 883 with screening eagle kit. ( sold it to buy my 300). I love this bike, I have had lots of bikes. But this 300 light weight and good on gas will be my last bike. I am 5'0. And weigh 105 lbs. but take in considerations who and what kind of bikes you will be riding with. Good luck on your decision Ride safe

·
Registered
42 Posts
I bought the 300 over the 600 as it was more affordable. Insurance for the 650 was more than tripple the cost of the 300.

I'm really enjoying the 300 and it is more bike than I expected. I can't see myself outgrowing this bike very soon as it is still hard to stay within the speed limits.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Extended warranty is OK. But negotiate the price. Two years should be about 300 dollars. Gap insurance NO!! With good insurance your bike is covered and will be replaced. Gap insurance is for people with very bad credit and limited liability/comprehensive insurance.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts