Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is my review of the new Michelin Pilot Street Radial, since everyone seems to mention buying the Diablo Rosso 2 only and there is very little information available on these tires from actual experience:

I bought these to replace the stock tire at about 7,500 miles. The first thing I noticed with these tires was how thick the rubber is, which contributes to long tire life, they even appear a little wider then stock 140 rubber. They also seemed a few mm thicker then the stock tires even from when they were new.

My first impression was "wow" I can feel the tire grip when making slow speed turns, the stock tires just felt hard and solid, these tires feel softer and stickier especially at low speeds. Compared to stock IRC they feel better and more confidence inspiring. With the stock IRC rear tire it would lock up under moderate foot brake pressure, with these i have t stomp the pedal for them to lock. I primarily commute with them mostly on relatively straight roads and an occasional weekend ride through twisties. For wet weather riding these are probably the best tire IMHO. I have done freeway rides going 80mph in heavy rain and done a few quick stops from 20-0mph on wet roads and never have they never let loose.
I have currently have about 9,500 miles on these tires, the front tire has started cupping on me since around 8,000 miles. They probably have another 2500 miles left until the wear bars. The back has squared off pretty good too. These seem to almost last longer then the stock bias tires. I would recommend the tire for primary commuters and the weekend warrior, maybe a beginner track day. I would get Diablo Ross 2 or Bt-003 if your more of an aggressive rider or if you push your bike to it's limits at the track.

sizes 110/70/17 front and 140/70/17, I run 30-31psi front and 32-33psi rear

paid about $110 for the front and $130 for the rear

I have a picture of new tire vs current condition with 9,500 miles wear
:announcement_smilie

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thank you so much for the review. I was in the market a few weeks ago for stock replacement and it was betw these and the dr2s. I swear I scoured the internet and could not find a single review re the mileage. Unfortunately I already bought the dr2s but I'll get these next since I'm a commuter also.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
172 Posts
You just made my day, thank you for the review and pictures!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thank you for the review. I just purchased a pair today and am sooo looking forward to the difference. I'm at about 6500 miles on my 300 and the tires do feel rock solid and like they are going to slide out from under me in turns. I don't recall them feeling this way when I started riding. I ride 95% in-town, but very, very aggressively, with lots of hard take-offs and stops. I don't have the time, money, or interest in track riding, but the idea of a tire that can perform well and last is definitely what I am looking for. I'm also ordering Spiegler Steel brake lines and new brake pads (still looking). It's going to be a good time.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thank you! i was going to go with the DRII from all the reviews on the forum, but i do lots of commuting and this tire seems like the better choice.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm at about 11,000 mile now on them. Still have 2mm til the wears bars, biggest issue has been front tire cupping lately, and rubber is starting to get harder with age. Going to replace soon. They should last roughly twice as long as the Diablo Ross II (attest in commuting environment). Good tire IMHO!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm at over 15,000 miles now, the back is just at about at the wear bar, and the front is cupped bad. I ordered another set of these tires. I don't know of any tire that last longer on these bikes that grips decent. These seem to last longer then the stock bias tires. I almost bought the Bridgestone s20 tires but they still won't offer the tire life, or wet weather grip, even though they grip a little better on dry pavement. Since I primarily commute I didn't see the need to buy a true "sport"
tire. I never had the front lock up on me, I did did get the rear to skid a few times under heavy braking to avoid a dear, and a few other times. Even riding in rain, as long as I drove sanely I never lost traction at all. A nice improvement over stock tires, and a ridiculously long tire life :eek:k:

·
Registered
70 Posts
About time there was a review and recommendation of a tire other than the DR2. Tired of seeing the same old circle jerk threads, thanks for the awesome post and pictures. Will definitely be getting a set of these for both my 300's in the next few months.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Nice review. My bike only has 2000 miles on it so I'm a long ways off from needing new tires, but I'm already doing my research on which ones to buy. Thanks for putting this up as it REALLY helped me narrow my choices down. I'm also a daily commuter, and weekend rider. I'm not really planning on tracking my bike. I just want to do some road trips and go up twistys every once in a while. These sound like a good choice for me.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Just had a set installed today, even though my stock tires only had 3200 miles on em.

These bastards WANT to lean. It doesn't take anything at all to lean over. Gonna take some getting used to... but they definitely look better than stock.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey great write up! I'm just wondering what's the difference between the Pilot Streets and Pilot Power 2's if anyone has experience with these?? Thanks guys need to get these junk road winners off!!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As an update I replaced my chain and tires 2 weeks ago. I went with hhe same tires again. The street radial went 16,000 and still had a mm or so until the wear bars, but were squared off and cupping pretty good. They rubbers last forever I love them

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
What psi are you guys running for your Street Radials? I'm starting at 36psi (rear) and I'm going to experiment by lowering it 1psi each time to see if I can feel any difference in comfort or grip.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Never mind pilot powers aren't made in our sizes any how.
Im running pilot powers in 110/70 and 150/60. Good tire. I had bridgstone s20's and the rear lasted about 12000 ks with the front lasting about 16000 ks. I prefer the pilot powers though as they seem to last a bit better.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts