Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

Should I get a NEW Ninja 300 or a beater CBR125R

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Right now I’m “on the fence” whether I should buy the ninja 300 NEW or a CBR125R Beater bike. I have NO experience on motorcycles but drive stick. Specifically I’m referring to the engine and transmission.

The “break-in” period will be applicable to both me and the bike. I will likely spend most of the break-in period learning the clutch, shifting… and well, learning to ride a motorcycle!:D

The question is, will all this mechanical stress on the bike damage it more because it is in the break in period? Should the break-in period be done PERFECTLY ( ie. No stalls, bad shifts, etc.) or is the bike built to handle this stress from the beginning?

Thanks for the help guys and maybe you can help me between a New Ninja 300 or a beater CBR125r :cool:

·
Registered
630 Posts
It has a slipper clutch, and there's a rev limiter, it's going to be rather tough to destroy this engine. If anything, buy a used 250r with a bunch of miles on it.

Reactions: Sebi

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't buy 125cc you will regret it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Why? Because lack of power? The 125 would be a 1 season bike with no highway use. It would be used as a beater bike-to learn without hurting a factory new bike.

But I really dont like the looks of it :(
But its cheap and light...
Arrrgggg :banghead:

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
655 Posts
Why? Because lack of power? The 125 would be a 1 season bike with no highway use. It would be used as a beater bike-to learn without hurting a factory new bike.

You wont hurt it mate. Be positive about your learning curve it won't take long a nd then you will be saying to yourself why didn't I listen to the guys on the 300 forum.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im not TOO woried about the engine, more so the transmission.
From driving stick I know the clutch doesnt like to be "rubbed" all day. As a new driver I rubbed that clutch all day BUT that was in my dads corolla which has ~146k km, not a new motorcycle.

Also the gears, what if I half engage a gear, shift without properly using the clutch? Will that wear it out prematurely?

Maybe I'm worrying too much but this thing costs me ~6200$ OTD which is basically ALL my money + me working full time in the summer... I want to do it right with no regrets...

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Buy a enduro/dualsport or a cheapo dirt bike to practice everything on, a 125cc 4t play bike like a ttr125, a old XR80 or 100. Resell it for what you paid in a few months. Dropping the 300 on its side isn't cheap or pretty. Those will take it all day long.

·
Registered
630 Posts

A 125 is pretty weak, I would never take anything less than 250 on the street. If we're talking dirt bikes though, a 125 would please me!

If you drive stick, you're not going to have any trouble riding a bike.

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts
forget the 125, they are hopeless , its so gutless on the highway its dangerous

the 300 is very good round the city/highway with more then enough power to get you into and out of trouble again, the 125 has enough power to get you into trouble, but no where near enough to get you out again

·
Registered
523 Posts
Im not TOO woried about the engine, more so the transmission.
From driving stick I know the clutch doesnt like to be "rubbed" all day. As a new driver I rubbed that clutch all day BUT that was in my dads corolla which has ~146k km, not a new motorcycle.

Also the gears, what if I half engage a gear, shift without properly using the clutch? Will that wear it out prematurely?
Motorcycles mind being kept in the friction zone much less than cars, so I wouldn't worry about "rubbing" the clutch. As for shifting improperly, plenty of guys here ride around all day banging up through the gears without the clutch at all. Will it wear out the transmission sooner? Yes. Significantly so? Eh, that depends on what you're expecting in the first place.

·
Registered
923 Posts
If you buy the 125 you're still going to be buying the 300....or whatever other bike you decide on. At the end of the day it's your call, but learning isn't THAT difficult. The 300 has a slipper clutch so it will be difficult for you to junk it. This bike is also, in general, a tough bike. You'd have to REALLY suck to do damage. If dropping it is a worry, just remember people who have ridden for years have dropped their bike. If it were me, I don't think I'd blow the money on the 125 just to learn to ride the 300. The bikes are night and day too, so you'd have to "relearn" a whole new bike anyway. Just my 2 cents. :) whatever you decide, good luck to ya and hope to see you around.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Ninja 300 will be my "forever" bike... Never to be sold.
Currently I'm 16 and anything bigger I cant afford ( Canadian isurance :banghead: )
If 8 years later I decide to upgrade, I'll keep the ninja for my dad + me (it re-sell value makes selling it pointless)
Thats why I'm making such a big fuss over this break in point. But brother michigan brought up an interesting point, if the clutch can be "rubbed" ( for lack of a better word ) for longer periods then perhaps a new Ninja wouldn't be to bad of an idea :)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Buy a enduro/dualsport or a cheapo dirt bike to practice everything on, a 125cc 4t play bike like a ttr125, a old XR80 or 100. Resell it for what you paid in a few months. Dropping the 300 on its side isn't cheap or pretty. Those will take it all day long.
I honestly am not a bit worried about dropping the bike (I know, famous noobie words :rolleyes: ). I sat on it at the dealership and it felt so light and confortable. When my dad sat on it he said that the weight is low; everything is fine untill you lean it past xº then it meets the ground.
I generally dont agree with the attitude that if you're a new rider you WILL drop your bike.

As for your dirtbike idea, it would have to be street legal as I have no farmland where I can legally learn (hence the 125)

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
DT125-250, XL/XRL/CRFL 125-250, DRZ400, XT250, KLX250, WR250r. All better choices for a perfectly new rider to learn the basics and test the waters of riding. Drop it, pick it up and carry on. They are built to fall over and over. The 300 is a great starter bike too, but read around the newb mistakes that cause tip overs, even while parking. The plastics are brittle, easy to damage and expensive.

A season on a true used beater type bike isn't a life sentence. Spend under $1000 and lose nothing when you resell it.

Been here before thru 3 kids who still ride/race and countless friends who quit riding in a single season.

:cool:

·
Registered
147 Posts
I can't really comment on the CBR as I haven't riden one but a 125 seems way too underpowered to last you any period of time.

I can comment on the Ninja though - and specifically for a brand new rider. I was in exactly the same situation as you are now a few months ago and have just hit the 800 kms mark on my bike (I can now go to 6K revs - woo hoo!). Anyway, I can certainly confirm that it's a very forgiving bike. Trust me, in those 800kms I've done enough dodgy gear changes, less than perfect braking attempts and more than a few less than smooth throttle actions to confirm that the bike takes it all and comes back for more.

It's comparatlvely easy to ride from my albeit limited experience and as noted by many other posters on this forum it's a bike that you can grow into as your skills increase.

Anyway, that's my two cents worth.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.