Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would it be possible to make a chat room for the forum? or would it have to be monitored 24/7? I find that some posts are almost instantly answered and they go back and forth almost instantly, a chat room would keep the posts from climbing so quickly and would be an instant type answer if someone were online, instead of waiting for the next post. If possible make 2 or 3 types of chat, tech, mods and general? Just an idea...thought i'd ask.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I like the idea !!! i'd make one chat room for now, see how we do with it and then maybe seperate it into subcatagories if it gets too cluttered

·
Registered
839 Posts
Multiple rooms for different topics would become WAY too cluttered.
Maybe keep the chat room for general conversation, not so much for bike questions, ect.

Leave forum for that kind of stuff and use chat room for a blow time and steam area?

I do think we would need some rules set in place...like instant bans for certain things. I would expect everyone to go by same rules we use on open forum as in no sexual crudity, no attacking members, ect.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Multiple rooms for different topics would become WAY too cluttered.
Maybe keep the chat room for general conversation, not so much for bike questions, ect.

Leave forum for that kind of stuff and use chat room for a blow time and steam area?

I do think we would need some rules set in place...like instant bans for certain things. I would expect everyone to go by same rules we use on open forum as in no sexual crudity, no attacking members, ect.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I am on a couple other forums which have 1 general chat room, its at the top of the page so you can always see whats going on.. I really like the idea personally, I would participate in it often :D

But I have been in forum chat rooms where there is a button you need to click to open a different window, those chats never have anyone in it..

If you always logged in and always can see whats going on then your bound to become involved, if you have to click a link to see whats going on no one will care..

·
Super Moderator
1,075 Posts
I made a general chat thread in then off topic forum for random chat and bs and for whatever

·
Registered
839 Posts
I made a general chat thread in then off topic forum for random chat and bs and for whatever
We make like an actual chat room, instant.

·
Super Moderator
1,075 Posts
I know. I think the general chat should be enough if people actually use. Make it a sticky maybe even. On the RSX tuning forum I'm an admin on, we have an irc like chat box.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
a chat room can be a good idea, but if there is some good idea's kicking around the chat room, it will be lost as the data isnt saved like normal posts. so there could be some great info that others will miss out on

·
Registered
839 Posts
a chat room can be a good idea, but if there is some good idea's kicking around the chat room, it will be lost as the data isnt saved like normal posts. so there could be some great info that others will miss out on
That is why I said use it for general passing time chatting..

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can be used for like a minor emergency, like hey why won't my bike start? or lost the bolt on my fairing where can I get another? ..... instead of waiting soooo long on some answers, heh, i'm a night owl now-a-days and no one except those on the other side of the world would be on but me. Also would be kinda neat to chat with folks real-time from elsewhere in the world.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Did this ever happen o_O?

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Yep...........and nobody ever went in there. Plus you could logon using whatever name took your fancy, not the same username as you have here, so there was some security issues. I think I saw 4 people at max anytime I ever went in there. Pretty pointless IMO when we have all info you need on the forum and you get a reply near instantly.

There are plenty of chat rooms available on the net already that people can access if they want to chat online. I did have the comment from one member a while back that "oh its good because you can talk in real time"...................meanwhile we were responding back and forth via posts on the forum. In real time. Go figure. :cool:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts