Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I am new to the site, and a new rider as well. I have been riding since July of this year and put about 5200 miles on my ninja 300r. About 500miles ago, I put on a M4 carbon slip on, and I have been receiving a lot of backfire during deceleration and shifting between gears. Which is starting to get annoying

I just want to know if this is common, since I do not really know anything about bikes. If worse comes to worse I'll have to take it to a shop.

·
Registered
630 Posts
It's common, nothing unusual.

·
Registered
257 Posts
If it's as loud as a shot gun going off, it's a backfire. If it's just popping and such it's normal.

·
Registered
148 Posts
It is pretty common, but do you have a tuner on as well? That might be part of the issue if you don't have one

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts
my green/black 2013 did it all the time. the cause seems to be from the ECU not inputting any fuel on deceleration. this has lead to a number of people to experience their bake stalling when coming to a stop.

my 2014 has the new ECU that is getting recalled on the 2013 bikes.its very rare that i get the backfire on deceleration, which is kind of sad, it gave the bike "character"

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ive got the titanium M4 and it does the same . Pops throught gear changes . It doesnt do it as much if I do the little rev flick when shifting down.

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts
Ive got the titanium M4 and it does the same . Pops throught gear changes . It doesnt do it as much if I do the little rev flick when shifting down.
aaaaahhhh

your adding the extra fuel manually :smile: that should do the trick too

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
It's also due to a loss in back pressure. The stock can keeps quite a bit of back pressure and even a slip on will free up airflow in the exhaust system which can cause some backfiring. With just a slip-on, it's not really worth getting an aftermarket fuel map programmer. Even my stock system gives a little burble and pop on really hard decel.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have been riding around to after installing a yoshi slip on, lots of small backfires on the over run and a few after gear change,

But my worry is that it stalled 3 times on me, strangest thing is it stalled when I pulled into a gas station, pulled over to text and when I got home but never at an intersection hahahaha, anyway I read the above comments and I conclude that it's the stock ecu not pumping gas in, anyway around this issue other than aftermarket ecu and tuning?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
I have been riding around to after installing a yoshi slip on, lots of small backfires on the over run and a few after gear change,

But my worry is that it stalled 3 times on me, strangest thing is it stalled when I pulled into a gas station, pulled over to text and when I got home but never at an intersection hahahaha, anyway I read the above comments and I conclude that it's the stock ecu not pumping gas in, anyway around this issue other than aftermarket ecu and tuning?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
A slip on does not require any extra fuel tuning.

The ECU on deceleration goes into what is known as a DFCO mode. Which is Deceleration Fuel Cut Off. What this does is when your engine is under a vacuum scenario, such as decelerating/engine braking, the engine is turning under its own power and does not need any fuel injected. This was an issue on the earlier models, as it was causing some bikes to stall. The recall has rectified this completely.

Only some stalled, not all. I had a release model Ninja 300, and my bike never stalled. Some had release models, and they did stall. However if your bike has had the recall done, or is a new model, this is not an issue and I would suggest you have something else going on.

If you are experiencing stalling, I would ask:
  1. Has the recall has been completed on your bike for the ECU problem?
  2. What is your idle speed adjusted to?
  3. Have you checked all connections on the exhaust to ensure that it is not leaking anywhere?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Haha you're complaining about the backfire wth! First time I heard that backfire it put the biggest grin on my face..
Oh don't get me wrong I F&$(ING love the backfire :bowdown: its the stalling with the clutch in that worries me,

And thanks for the reply Jeff, info noted. might run with the baffle in and see how it goes

·
Registered
150 Posts
I love the backfire sound, as well as that low gurgle throaty sound (can't describe it but it's heard on downshifts and it sounds like gargling)

Which slip-ons are great for this? I am considering TBH M2 or akrapovic.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I love the backfire sound, as well as that low gurgle throaty sound (can't describe it but it's heard on downshifts and it sounds like gargling)

Which slip-ons are great for this? I am considering TBH M2 or akrapovic.
Any of them, really. It's actually there in the stock pipe but baffled so barely audible. A straight muffler will always sound clearer (and louder).

I found the exhaust note with a slip-on annoying enough at low RPM to finally get a fuel controller as you can really hear how lean the bike runs stock.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Any of them, really. It's actually there in the stock pipe but baffled so barely audible. A straight muffler will always sound clearer (and louder).

I found the exhaust note with a slip-on annoying enough at low RPM to finally get a fuel controller as you can really hear how lean the bike runs stock.
So you have a controller on a stock bike?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts