Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
101 - 120 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you Pheet and cruizin.

I have been on bcsb and was not aware of revscene at all.

Bah, unfortunately I'll be stuck doing night shifts, so I'll be sleeping during the meet of March 30. Not sure I'll be able to attend.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hey,

Have you guys done any modifications to your bike? If so, what have you done? I'm just trying to get an idea of what is allowed in BC.

Thanks!
Front reflector delete
Progrip tank pad
Progrip red handle bars
Red adjustable shorty levers
Driven adjustable clip ons
Zero Gravity Corsa screen
OEM Solo seat cowl
Red reflective rim tape
Musarri slip on
Moto Dynamic integrated tail lights
TST fender eliminator
LED rear turn signals
Gloss black wrapped fairing pieces
Philips Crystal Vision Ultra H7 headlight bulbs
LED corner lights

The mods that are pretty heaty to cops are the slip on, integrated tail light and especially the fender eliminator. There's a certain range of decibel that we're required to be in on our bikes. I'm not really sure what the exact Db is but I've heard of bikes(mostly Harleys) getting pulled over and tested in the Vancouver area. If you do decide to buy an aftermarket exhaust, be it a slip on or a full system, make sure it comes with a silencer. I always have the silencer on solely because of how irritatingly loud it is without.

As for the integrated tail light, there is a minimum distance of about 12 inches(don't quote me on this, I'm just guessing) apart required for our rear turn signals. Any less would be considered illegal. I fixed this by installing the tail light along with my led turn signals. Here's a video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjgfKudboAI

The fender eliminator kit... well that should be self-explanatory. We're required by law to have a fender of some sort in the back to avoid splashing water or dirt or whatever on the person behind us. Our license plate should also be behind the bike, not under the passenger seat. If you do end up getting an FE kit, make sure you buy a license plate light as well along with small red reflectors that you can just screw in the holes on the plate number just to be on the safe side.

I'm not really too worried about the rest of the mods I've done and I'm not really worried about getting pulled over and getting a VI for my bike(knock on wood.) I can easily swap out the aftermarket with the OEM parts if I really needed to.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks again Pheet!

I was thinking of getting the Yoshimura slip-on exhaust for my bike.

Last summer I got pulled over by two cops with their Harley's parked on the side of Pacific Boulevard, right before it merges with Quebec Street. They wanted to do a sound check on my stock exhaust xD

So I just wanted to see if other Ninja 300 riders had gotten aftermarket exhausts on their bikes and had any problems with the police.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I've yet to get pulled over on my bike. I did pass through a check point at one point late at night by a police officer riding his Harley. He didn't say anything about my exhaust or any of my other mods.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hey...Mad.Child on BCSB...I have the Yoshi Stainless slip on as well as the Area P Tuner...The Yosh' is not loud at all with the baffle in, comparable to a lot of stock exhausts on bigger displacement bikes. Baffle removed, however, its a shit symphony of sound and alot more vibration. I tried it for 5 minutes, and will never again. As much as they suggest its not worth the money on this forum, get the tuner. was a bit pricey, 300ish after getting taxed at border, but definetely helps your low range and midrange throttle response that you lose with the slip on. Any questions just ask. Install was really easy, no problems whatsoever.

Thanks again Pheet!

Last summer I got pulled over by two cops with their Harley's parked on the side of Pacific Boulevard, right before it merges with Quebec Street. They wanted to do a sound check on my stock exhaust xD

So I just wanted to see if other Ninja 300 riders had gotten aftermarket exhausts on their bikes and had any problems with the police.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Thanks again Pheet!

Really?? They do that? Thats the first time ive heard someone get pulled over for a random sound check lol.. My buddy got pulled over cause his was super loud and they can hear him a mile away.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi everyone!

I'm all geared up to start my motorcycle course at PRS on Apr 21. I'm seriously considering the ninja 300 as my first motorcycle. Just looking for some insight on a couple of things:

1. How does everyone like the 300? Would you recommend it as a good first bike?

2. I live in Kits. Approx how much will insurance be on the 300? Do you guys use a private 3rd party company for collision/comprehensive? I am 27, 10+ years of clean driving, no motorcycle experience.

Thanks in advance! :waveysmilie:

·
Registered
192 Posts
1. I like mine. It's perfectly enough both in the city and on the highway despite whatever other people may say about a small displacement bike. It is enough.
It's my first bike so I would highly recommend you getting one as well as a starter! There have been countless times where I have almost dumped, crashed, gotten hit etc. on the bike but it's all part of the learning process. Take it slow and watch out for distracted drivers on the road. If you're worried about any of those I've mentioned above, get ABS. It will help you both on a confidence level and on the road.
The only thing I don't like about the 300 is the short ass 1st gear. Of course there are ways of fixing this such as installing a different sprocket. I'm just too lazy to do it. Other than that, it's a great learner bike.

Oh! If you're planning on moving up to a bigger bike in the near future for whatever reason, take a look at the 250cc bikes.

2. I am paying $160 a month(yearly coverage) through ICBC. I've decided to get full coverage just for the ease of mind when I'm riding.
Too bad I can't use beacon yet since I've only had my license for about 5 years, otherwise I'd go to them. They'll give you a cheaper quote for sure.

Good luck at PRS! It's a great school and you will learn a lot from them. Make sure you listen well and listen good. They will teach you all the necessities in order to survice on 2 wheels on the road.
I live like 5 minutes away from PRS so hit me up if you're still deciding on which buy to bike by then, I'll gladly show you mine, let you sit on it and so on(not ride it though, haha)

PS
Don't let other people influence you on which to buy. You'll learn A LOOOTTTT more on a smaller and nimbler bike than a 600 that can go 100+kmh in first gear alone.

Good luck at PRS and on your upcoming road test!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I pay 132/month with 35% discount through ICBC for collision as well as insurance (too many tickets to get private)....Its not the best first bike as it is a little expensive...If you want to really get good at riding, why would you destroy a brand new machine with your first fall/learning how to rev-match etc? Go used, get a ninja 250/suzuki gs500/ ninja 500 for a bit and see what you like. hell, you may go for something totally different and get a supermoto. I would never buy new as a first. Riding is alot different than getting a car.

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts
Thank you Pheet and cruizin.

I have been on bcsb and was not aware of revscene at all.

Bah, unfortunately I'll be stuck doing night shifts, so I'll be sleeping during the meet of March 30. Not sure I'll be able to attend.
no dramas at all, any time

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for the replies!

Pheet, does beacon require 10 years experience on a motorcycle, or just 10 years of driving experience?

Rushhourracer, based on my research and feedback from others I would most certainly out grow the 250 in one season. I don't need a 600, so I'm hoping the with the extra 50cc, fuel injection and better styling that I will never out grow the 300. I'd love to find a good used one instead of buying new but they seem to be rare.

Also I don't think I would destroy a new bike just because I'm new to riding. I've been driving stick for over 10 years, understand all the concepts and I'm quite coordinated. There would definitely be a learning curve but to say I would destroy it is a bit excessive.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks for the replies!

Pheet, does beacon require 10 years experience on a motorcycle, or just 10 years of driving experience?

Rushhourracer, based on my research and feedback from others I would most certainly out grow the 250 in one season. I don't need a 600, so I'm hoping the with the extra 50cc, fuel injection and better styling that I will never out grow the 300. I'd love to find a good used one instead of buying new but they seem to be rare.

Also I don't think I would destroy a new bike just because I'm new to riding. I've been driving stick for over 10 years, understand all the concepts and I'm quite coordinated. There would definitely be a learning curve but to say I would destroy it is a bit excessive.

Driving a car is nothing like riding a bike. Yes, understanding the concept of a manual tranny is an advantage, but thats it. Everything else needs to be learned. Mistakes are easily corrected in a car. I say this after 7 yrs driving and 50000km bike experience in all weather conditions (including light snow)

·
Registered
52 Posts
I pay about $54 a month…basic through ICBC and then all the rest from Beacon. I put the bike on the road for 8 months (ICBC) but my Beacon insurance runs the whole year so when it's stored it is still covered for fire, theft, etc. I easily save that in gas over my truck each month. ICBC is a ripoff for comprehensive, etc. as they don't want to insure bikes so their rates are ridiculously high.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Driving a car is nothing like riding a bike. Yes, understanding the concept of a manual tranny is an advantage, but thats it. Everything else needs to be learned. Mistakes are easily corrected in a car. I say this after 7 yrs driving and 50000km bike experience in all weather conditions (including light snow)
I agree with you completely. Ny only point was that I don't think learning necessarily results in a destroyed bike that's all! Thanks for the advice tho

·
Registered
192 Posts
Chances are you will likely drop it and/or destroying it, depending on the severity of what happens. I don't think that's enough to justify settling for something you don't really want. Just take it easy, don't be tempted to roll the throttle past your limit, be alert and have the mentality that no one can see you. Be a defensive rider. That's what PRS will drill into your head.

Be a mature rider.

·
Registered
2 Posts
New Burnaby, BC rider coming soon!

Hey everyone!

I am getting my ninja 300 sometime mid may! Am a complete noob though.
I have been following up with these above posts. I am comfortable getting a new 300 vs an old bike for 3k (2k for something new and current is alright in my opinion).

I was thinking about taking the MSA course and program at the pacific riding school. I read the reviews to be very good. Wanted to know if any one of you had partaken in that.

101 - 120 of 137 Posts