Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bit of a long story/rant but I'd like a third parties input and advice.
This situation is very similar to Captains over 2 years ago http://www.kawasakininja300.com/forum/8-ninja-300-general-discussion/4738-lost-keys.html

I lost both my keys to my 2013 ninja 300 inside of a Tim Hortons an hour from my home, I searched for it for an hour in all the garbages and such but never found it. I put it on a trailer and brought it to the nearest Kawasaki. At the time I didn't know the 4 digit Key Code was on the ignition and it wasn't written on my owners manual so the servicing guy told me I would have to replace the ignition, fuel cap, and the trunk lock, totaling over $300. When I got home I searched the forum and saw that the key code is written on the ignition so I called the service guy but he responded that the key code is only used to order the correct blank key from Kawasaki... I told him okay but order me a new key anyways and let me bring it to a locksmith to try the code if it will work. When he figured out that I am not going to be replacing my ignition He got very angry and said hes been doing this job for 20+ years and I have no idea what I'm talking about so I should just come pick up my motorcycle and GTFO.

I live an hour away, I don't have a truck or trailer, and the handlebars are locked in the left position..

I called the Sales manager to complain, who then got the servicing guy to call back, and finally agree to just order me 2 sets of blank keys. Apparently he looked up my VIN number and found the correct 4 digit code for the blank. 1922. He told me it is the same code that is on the ignition although would not go and check for some reason.

Now Id like some input here. Do you think this servicing guy was trying to scam me, or he genuinely doesn't know, because even now he still believes that the key code will not do anything and I need an original key to make a new key.
The digits he pulled out from just my VIN, 1922, is that a code for a blank key? Or a combination for a locksmith to make a key.
Can I bring the code to any locksmith with the key and they will instantly recognize and be able to cut it?
I'll have to look when I get my bike if the code he gave me matches what's on the ignition. Unless he files it off to make me buy a new ignition....

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
What's your location, colour bike, etc? and I'll bring a cut key..

·
Registered
101 Posts
Think about it...if it IS your key code, do you really want to post it online for everyone to see and make duplicates? Please edit and change your numbers to X's. Safety first. Personally, it would be stupid for any manufacturer to stamp the key code anywhere on the bike. If they did, no one's bike would be secure.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Did you purchase the bike from a dealership? If so, they should be able to tell you what the key code is for your bike. Otherwise, yes it is stamped somewhere on the bike precisely for this type of incident. The key I believe will have to come from Kawasaki. If the number he gave you is indeed the key code, you can just call Kawasaki yourself and have them send you a key.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Think about it...if it IS your key code, do you really want to post it online for everyone to see and make duplicates? Please edit and change your numbers to X's. Safety first. Personally, it would be stupid for any manufacturer to stamp the key code anywhere on the bike. If they did, no one's bike would be secure.
Well to quote the guy on the other lost keys thread. The code is already on the frame so anybody who would like to steal my bike could easily get a key cut and take it for a ride. That goes for any 300 unless you file it off. The reason i posted the number was because I'm not sure if thats the same number on the ignition or a universal number for a 300 blank key.

Another reason I doubt 1922 is my key code is because the mechanic told me he pulled it from my VIN, which I've read from a few sources that there is no such system for motorcycles

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Well to quote the guy on the other lost keys thread. The code is already on the frame so anybody who would like to steal my bike could easily get a key cut and take it for a ride. That goes for any 300 unless you file it off. The reason i posted the number was because I'm not sure if thats the same number on the ignition or a universal number for a 300 blank key.

Another reason I doubt 1922 is my key code is because the mechanic told me he pulled it from my VIN, which I've read from a few sources that there is no such system for motorcycles
Sorry but where did he say the code is on the frame?

It's not.

The code is on the tag that came with the original keys and nowhere else.

If the code was on the frame anyone could go out and get a blank cut for your bike and steal it.

Edit: Welp, I'm completely and 100% wrong. The key code is in fact on the ignition cylinder.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Sorry but where did he say the code is on the frame?

It's not.

The code is on the tag that came with the original keys and nowhere else.

If the code was on the frame anyone could go out and get a blank cut for your bike and steal it.
Check your bike where the picture is looking.

Reference: http://www.kawasakininja300.com/for...-discussion/80529-both-keys-gone-what-do.html

They go into it in detail.

Also, in Gearhead's link the keycode expert says "Finding the key code can be a challenge sometimes. It can be stamped on the keys, sometimes on the lock"

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well crap, I'm wrong.

Key code is there on the ignition and it matches the code on the key tag.

That's dumb...

So what's stopping someone from ordering a blank and getting it cut with my code, then stealing my bike? wtf...
I find it unsettling that this questions hasn't been answered yet..

Possibly just the general public's lack of knowledge and motivation..? Possibly?

:-/

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I think the key has to come from Kawasaki directly so I'd imagine you have to have some sort of proof of ownership? I hope?
you can buy blank keys online. there is no immobilizer.

Kawi dun fucked up

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I thought it was common knowledge on this forum :S it should be.
And you're right it is really weird and on the website gearhead linked, he says kawasaki puts the key code on the ignition on kawasakis so maybe its not just the 300.

could someone give their input on my questions? Has anyone ever seen the number 1922 regarding their key or is it my key code do you think

·
Registered
101 Posts
Just thinking...the key code still needs to be converted to an actual cut key so it not the end of the world. I suppose dishonest people will find a way regardless. Hopefully locksmiths are the upstanding people we perceive them to be. We are just trying to keep the amatures "honest". Lol. I would think one would have to produce a registration or some proof of ownership for a dealer or locksmith to cut a key from just a key code.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
How can a regular locksmith cut a key based off of a 4 digit number? Do they normally have access to a database?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts